Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: FJ Cruiser  (Read 18829 times)

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:07:18 AM »
I took one out for a test drive and all I can say is it is a sweet ride. Good ride, power and unbelievably quiet at highway speeds.

It has about the same cargo area behind the rear seats as my TJ does with the rear seats removed.

Tempting..............
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:53:55 AM »
We looked at them when we decided we need a bigger family mobile for the two kids and all the junk that goes with them.  I really like them but they didn't have any more rear seat room or storage space in the back for strollers etc.  You should buy it though. ...Steve

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »
I knew this post would lure you out of hiding...

I'm thinking about it.........
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »
They do look pretty sweet with 35's.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
Quote from: "Vinman"
I knew this post would lure you out of hiding...

I'm thinking about it.........

We ended up taking the ultimate plunge and bought a minivan for the family vehicle.  The FJ Cruiser is nice but it didn't offer any real advantages over my wife's CRV as far as space etc.  Offroad manners weren't high on her criteria list.  I'm sure you'd love it though. ...Steve

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:34:33 PM »
Quote from: "SteveO"
 I'm sure you'd love it though. ...Steve

My biggest problem is I don't NEED it, I ust WANT it. :D
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
are you serious? i would tear that tin can up in a minute  :twisted:

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »
Quote from: "gsxtacy"

Are you serious?  That truck is probably the best mix of offroad worthy, street ability and quality built vehicles available on the market.  It already has incredible aftermarket support, will hold it's value and is built by the best automaker in the business.  What vehicle in it's price range can compare to it?  ......Steve

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »
um.... old FJ's will work just as well, have INCREDIBLE oem & aftermarket support, classic looks and handling (i'll give you that steve), and if you are lucky enough can get one in diesel, with dana 44s and a dana 300 twin stick.  although it is built by the 2nd best automaker in the world, it will do just fine...and for about 10-20 grand, low kms, rhd who can argue?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »

You know what? Your Jeep may outwheel a Toyota but it can't even dream about outlasting it.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:55:59 PM »
ya, i know, and i don't plan on it either, it'll be a "survivor" with low original mi.  :)  and vin...you've prolly heard the shpeal about regular care & maintenance etc...

i'm actually planning on getting a newer hilux out of japan to be my work truck, as toyota truly currently builds the best all around 4x4's in the world, and i'll give them that. :P

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 06:59:31 PM »
um.... old FJ's will work just as well, have INCREDIBLE oem & aftermarket support, classic looks and handling (i'll give you that steve), and if you are lucky enough can get one in diesel, with dana 44s and a dana 300 twin stick.  although it is built by the 2nd best automaker in the world, it will do just fine...and for about 10-20 grand, low kms, rhd who can argue?

I know about the old FJ's bu thtat has nothing to do with the new FJ cruiser, which really isn't a Land Cruiser at all.  FJ40's are not nice to drive on the road, get lousy mileage and have very few OEM parts still available.  

The old ones are appealing for a different reason but are not a reasonable choice for a daily driver and certainly aren't in the same category as the FJ Cruiser.  

If Toyota is the second best automaker, who's the first?

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »
it depends what you're going for... if it's the 4x4s, then it's mercedes (unimog), if it's quality, then it's ferrari, if it's mass production, then it's gm.  etc.   i'm looking @ quality & 4x4ability...sure a properly built one could outwheel anything but yota can't hold a candle to unimog's hand built quality.  albeit, there's not going to be 900 000 km mog's, either.

steve, why does it have a name like fj cruiser?  what happens when those tailight lenses get caught on a rock?  they break...oh, guess what...they're only made in japan? oh no... it'll cost 200 buxx for one to get shipped here?  oh my... :P

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
it depends what you're going for? if it's the 4x4s, then it's yota, if it's quality, then it's ferrari, if it's mass production, then it's gm.  etc.   i'm looking @ quality.  yota can't hold a candle to ferrari's hand built quality, albeit, there's not going to be 900 000 km ferraris, either.

I'm not positive because I don't have any interest in Ferrari but I don't think they build anything even close to an FJC.  Probably nothing within a 100K of one either so I don't think they really factor in to this thread.  

The point of the thread is the FJ Cruiser and you're saying you'd tear it up in a minute.  What comparable vehicle is a better purchase that would out-perform it as a depenable, streetable, off-road vehicle?  Unlikely that there is one that does even close to as good in all areas. .....Steve

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 07:23:58 PM »
let me tell you something steve...that pic is the second one i've ever seen of an fjc in a set of tires and a lift. and i'll give you the fact that it's an all-around great vehicle, but the quality is not there... when i testdrove one (first month or so they came out), it was pretty rattly and plastickie (sp?) but how many have actually been built for the wilderness? i thought they were geared for the yuppie crowd.  if i had 60 grand, i'd mod it too, maybe.

yes it is drivable, yes, it looks pretty cool, but imo they could've done more justice to the fj name.

and why'd they hafta call it a cruiser...it sounds like another crysler product that i'd dear not mention the name.  :evil: