Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Fuel trouble  (Read 1545 times)

OldSkoolJeepin

Fuel trouble
« on: July 06, 2005, 05:03:41 PM »
Hey gang! I took my 79 cj5 out to BC this past weekend and it made for a long drive when my jeep would start chugging up the hills?

I have a clear standard canister style filter in place of the stock inline filter that used to be at the intake (came that way) of the 2bbl carb. I noticed the filter is not full when I pulled over. I had to idle and it would fill. So, the pump won't keep up with the fuel consumption on the big hills.

Does this just mean I should go with an electric pump because my newly replaced manual one isn't cutting it. Maybe a small leak in the line and losing preasure?

Thanks!!!

Wif

Fuel trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 01:21:55 PM »
Something to check would be that it's not sucking air in on any joint before the mechanical pump. The harder the pump works, the more air it will suck.
I had this problem on an old Ford years ago .. tracked it down to a loose clamp on the fuel line on the tank side of the pump.

OldSkoolJeepin

Fuel trouble
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:36:46 PM »
Good Call! I added some extra hose clamps to someones straight through connection in the fule line and it seems to be better. I am now going to rerun all the fuel line instead of messing with a differant pump.

Thanks a bunch! Cheers  :D