Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Costco Winch  (Read 2901 times)

chadlh

Costco Winch
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:37:03 PM »
Has anyone tried the Costco winch.  I know there was a post about it but I can't find it (old web site).  From what I understand the Warn 8000lbs winch (similar product) does not have motor overheating auto shut off and it also doesn't have an overload (jammed cable) shut off either.  

I found a carefully controlled lab tests of the Warn winch that has convinced me not to buy a $1000 winch if it doesn't have any better features than a $400 Costco winch.    

Thanks for any feedback general or specific about electric winches.

Chad

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
Costco Winch
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »
http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2734

My Ramsey REP8000 needs work again and I was looking at the specs of this winch today. My current winch is slow and the champion winch is a bit slower but I was thinking of giving it a try. It's not much more $$$ than repairing my Ramsey and if it's no good at least costco has a good return policy.

Abrasive

Costco Winch
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »
With the amount of rain that's come down in the Calgary area over the last few weeks, I suspect I'll be able to give you a pretty informed review after this upcoming weekend.
It seems like a well built winch. The advantage to a lower horsepower engine (costco-3.8hp Warn-5.5ishHP) is that it's less of a draw on your electrical system because it relies more on mechanical advantage. The Costco winch is a series wound motor (superior to a permanent magnet).
The disadvantage to a motor that relies more on mechanical advantage is that it is slower.
Kris

youngen18

Costco Winch
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 11:48:01 PM »
if costco took visa i woulda bought one a while back... :(

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Costco Winch
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 07:26:25 AM »
I have a costco winch on my TJ.  I've used it a few times and no issues so far.  Pulled myself a few times and a full sized dodge a couple of other times.  So far I'm happy with my purchase.   I like the fact it comes with everything you need... fairlead, wire, hook, mounting plate, snatch block etc.

Fug
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Costco Winch
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 11:59:18 AM »
Read here:

http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2734

I like Warn personally but I do feel that ANY winch is better than no winch! Had a Warn M4500 on my XJ for awhile, way undersized for my Jeep but it was all I could afford at the time. It got me out of many bad spots that I couldn't be pulled out with a strap or someone else's winch.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Tyrel

Costco Winch
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 04:52:54 PM »
what sort of price range are the winches? 400-1000?

Abrasive

Costco Winch
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 06:39:18 PM »
Well,
I finally got a chance to really try the Costco winch out this past weekend. I'm quite impressed with it. It's slower than a WARN, but not unreasonably slow. I've been out with guys with the Princess Auto winches before and they were much slower and got much hotter than mine.
After pulling Kelly (Fly_Guy) out of his colossal stuck, the winch wasn't very hot, nor was is powering out. All in all, it performed very well.

$0.02

Kris

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
Costco Winch
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:52:02 AM »
Pricewise, I believe they were $489... or something like that.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
price
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 02:37:20 AM »
399.00 at costco.  They have been as low as 389.00 on sale.  Mine works good so far.