Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Possible Ebay Fraud  (Read 2438 times)

02TJSport

Possible Ebay Fraud
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:54:34 AM »
Hi Guys.  Just thought I'd give a heads up.  I have been trying to sell a camera on ebay and this guy won the auction and wanted me to ship it to Nigeria and claimed a shipping cost which was too low and then I get a mesage from ebay stating that his account has been suspended due to someone breaking into the account and using it for fraudulent purposes.

Here is the email:
Dear                               ,

The results of the following listings have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorisation:

220044540533 Fuji S3000 digital camera

We have temporarily suspended the bidding account and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorised activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, fees resulting from the listings in question have been credited to your account.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to automatically relist these items for you. Instead, to relist these items you will need to start from the beginning of the listing process, either through the Sell Your Item process or through your third party listing service. We know that this is an inconvenience and we apologise for the negative impact it may cause you. We are working on tools to allow you to relist your items without starting from the beginning, but they are not available at this time.

Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If there are issues that have not been addressed by this message, you can contact us by clicking the "Help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and selecting "Contact Us" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

I have now received a suposed payment or at least gotten an email from what looks to be paypal telling me he has paid me but checked my account and there is no money there.  I have emailed paypal to see what is going on but I am sure it is fraud.  The guy is claiming he baught it for a friend in negeria and wants me to ship it there and he is living in west africa.

Here is what he sent me:
Hi seller,
am pleased to be the winner of this item and this item is a
gift for my friend who was recently transfered to west africa...and i know you only ship within U S...it because am presently in Salvador in (Brazil) for a business trips and i won't be back in the next 6wks...so i've called the U S P S office to know how much the item will cost to west africa...i was told it's USD150,{add USD150 for the shipping} and i want the item to be shipped through Global Express Mail as i will be paying you via paypal..
here is my friend's address
Name:-Aderinsola Babatunde
Adderss:No 16 sw9/620 olowoyo street odo ona
city:- Ibadan
State:- Oyo State
Zipcode:- 23402
+2348051832364
Pls reply me soon.

His username is missenden1 and says he has 99.9% positive feedback.

If anyone has run into this some help would be appreciated and also be careful out on ebay if you see these types of events.  I will post what I get back from paypal for a response.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Possible Ebay Fraud
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:20:10 AM »
I've run into this with vehicles on craigslist - they tell you their "shipping agent" will take careof transport.  :lol:
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
Possible Ebay Fraud
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:43:24 AM »
Looks to me that missenden1 had his account hi-jacked by some low lifes. Since he had an almost perfect feedback he is probably legit.

I would just give it a couple of weeks and if he hasn't responded to you then just relist the camera.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

02TJSport

Possible Ebay Fraud
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »
Yeah probably.  Ebay already cancelled the auction so I have already relisted it.  The suposed payment is over $50 dollars short on shipping anyway and I had stated in the auction that I would only ship to canada and US so I have a way out of the deal anyway.

A good reason to only ship to canada/US  lol.

81cj7

Possible Ebay Fraud
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »
I think the best rule of thumb is....don't deal with anyone in Africa, ever.
The Internet is full of stories warning you away from stuff like that...

Jaguar

Possible Ebay Fraud
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
^^&%&%*&( eBay!!! I have been waiting the past few weeks for an item only to find that it hasn't even been shipped yet as they are "out of stock"  :evil:  :evil: NEVER BUY CHRISTMAS PRESENTS ON EBAY.

Iron James

watch it
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 12:00:22 AM »
My girlfriend was trying to sell her computer online a few months back and she got some Mad fake wester union email from from this guy saying the money is waiting for her once she has shipped. He apperently was form the States and the computer was for a school in Africa. But I traced the IP back to Nigeria aswell I think it was. So As The other dude said. Anyone from Africa just tell em to frack off.