Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Front Driveshaft woes  (Read 2970 times)

RUBI

Front Driveshaft woes
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:26:03 PM »
:shock: My front driveshaft on my '05 Rubi ( 15,000km) is squeeling like a stuck pig.........this started just last week , after our last outting. Did a few river crossings, nothing major, now this. Anybody else had any problems with theirs ?? Goes into the dealer on Tuesday, but I think I'll go down tomorrow and talk to them in person first........if they want to put the same thing in (no grease nipples) (What was Chrysler thinking  :? )
then maybe I'll see if they can upgrade or something.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:49:35 AM »
Common on the non-Rubi TJ's, so I would imagine its the same thing.  The ball centering kit in your front driveshaft is dry.  Under warranty they will either clean out your brakes or replace your driveshaft.  Off warranty they will want to replace your driveshaft as well.  I am assuming you have warranty.  If not DSI in Calgary should be able to hook you up with a ball centering kit for around $60ish.  You could also drop the shaft and clean it out and get some grease in there.  Just make sure that the pins don't fall out.

HTH,
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 09:08:03 AM »
Done mine twice in 3 years. Spyders once in 1 year.

Problem with grease fittings is that the greasable center ball does not fit in the CV we have. Same on TJ's.

I've done simple rebuilds on mine, and havnt done the conversion yet.

We converted my wifes to greasable. That involves cutting off the existing CV head and welding the correct one on.

The whole thing including new joints all the way through was in the 260$ range.

If you are good with a welder you can buy the parts and do the welding yourself, just make sure you take it back in when you are done and have it re balanced.

Parts are still going to run into the 180-200$ range. DSI labor is very reasonable.

Good luck
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

blackrube

Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:54:34 AM »
mine was done under warenty through tower

thunderstruck

Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 03:21:37 PM »
They replaced my driveshift under warrenty 3 months ago.

tjd60

Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:45:41 AM »
This has always been a problem.  More so if you don't have manual hubs.  The front drive shaft is always spinning even if you are not in 4x4 and its putting wear on the cv.  To make the cv last longer, get manual locking hubs.  :)

Offline ramtuff

• Budget Lift
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:13:36 AM »
20,000km's of hard wheelin and my front shaft was DONE!! the slip and spline was worn out,  the centering ball was seized, and the two u-joints in the cv were seized.

Now I have a new shaft and locking hubs, lets see how long it lasts now!! :lol:
Killer Off Road Equipment

RUBI

SHAFTED
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 12:01:24 AM »
Well.........dealer is installing a complete new driveshaft. Asked them to order in a couple extras, so when I bring it in again in another 6 months ,I won't have to wait an extra day !! :roll:

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Can anything be done with a sloppy slip/spline??
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »
i am on ds #3.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Jaguar

Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 09:41:49 PM »
I think I'm going throguh the same thing again... But I also just did my front rotors. Can I ask a favor? The next time any of you are on the road, can you tell me, when your coasting and you lightly press the breaks, does the squeeling stop? It does for me, and I don't remember it doing that the last time the DS went.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 10:28:58 PM »
My squeak never went away with the application of brakes.  Try pulling your brakes apart and cleaning them out!!
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Jaguar

Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 01:28:17 PM »
Whew, thats what I was hoping for. thank you! That'll be tonight's "little" project.  :D

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Front Driveshaft woes
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 02:35:44 PM »
Ans when you do that remove dust cover. No more rocks will get lodged in your brakes. (talking about front).
Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.