Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tire Chains  (Read 5810 times)

SteveO

Tire Chains
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
Quote from: "02TJSport"
is this the boundary equipment you are talking about?

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/business/AB/Calgary/Boundary+equipment/1%2C3/221635.html?src%3Dypca&adid=&stype%3Dsi

That's it.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
Tire Chains
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »
My oppinion. If you're going to buy chains, buy one set for now, run them in the back and save the rest of your hard earned money for a very decent winch eventually. Once the tire chains dig down through the only layer that would hold you up you'll need a winch to get out. My experience with some conditions anyway.

02TJSport

Tire Chains
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »
I didn't even think of that yb.  Good point.  I won't have that winch until june/july anyway.  Then next winter I can go get the second pair of chains.

SteveO

Tire Chains
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
I didn't even think of that yb.  Good point.  I won't have that winch until june/july anyway.  Then next winter I can go get the second pair of chains.

I didn't realize you were getting both sets for yourself.  You usually will only want the chains on the rear anyways.  Front chains and you'll likely be breaking axles anyways. ....Steve

02TJSport

Tire Chains
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 02:09:46 PM »
I didn't realize you were getting both sets for yourself. You usually will only want the chains on the rear anyways. Front chains and you'll likely be breaking axles anyways. ....Steve

Thats good to know.  I had read somewhere that its better to have all 4 on for 4x4's but maybe that is just if you're on ice.  My main reason for wanting them is a bit more tracktion on hill climbs that I had trouble with last year.  I liked winter wheeling but didn't enjoy the sliding backwards.  lol

SteveO

Tire Chains
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
I didn't realize you were getting both sets for yourself. You usually will only want the chains on the rear anyways. Front chains and you'll likely be breaking axles anyways. ....Steve

Thats good to know.  I had read somewhere that its better to have all 4 on for 4x4's but maybe that is just if you're on ice.  My main reason for wanting them is a bit more tracktion on hill climbs that I had trouble with last year.  I liked winter wheeling but didn't enjoy the sliding backwards.  lol

I run them on the back and traction is never an issue.  Since we rarely see really deep snow that isn't already packed down I haven't had an issue digging down and getting stuck.  I find the times you use them most are when the snow is hard packed and icy.  You're also not getting much help from your front wheels going up hill as your weight will shift back to the rear tires.  Try them on the back then if you really think you need more traction give the fronts a try.  Make sure you have clearance for them though.  When they "self clearance" it's quite loud and often not a clean job.  :shock:

02TJSport

Tire Chains
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »
what kind of clearance would you need for chains?  Or would they tell you when you buy them?  I know I have a descent amount of clearance on the back.  I'm just running 31 inch tires with 2 inch lift right now.  I hope to change that in a year or so though.

SteveO

Tire Chains
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 09:13:43 PM »
what kind of clearance would you need for chains?  Or would they tell you when you buy them?  I know I have a descent amount of clearance on the back.  I'm just running 31 inch tires with 2 inch lift right now.  I hope to change that in a year or so though.

If you're running 31's then with chains I would suggest being able to clear 33's.  I can clear 35's with a touch of rubbing and my chains touch slightly when fully stuffed running 33's.  ...Steve

02TJSport

Tire Chains
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 10:15:25 PM »
I'm prety close to clearing 33's.  probably get some rubbing with 33's on though but probably enough for now.  I'd only run them when realy needed anyway.  It would be more of a backup thing so I don't hold back the group.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
Tire Chains
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »
I have 31's and a 2'' spacer lift, no clearance issues on the back with v-bars cam lock chains, Never tried them on the front so I can't help there.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.