Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: bridge builders  (Read 5170 times)

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
bridge builders
« on: December 29, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
http://www.cochraneeagle.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=3153

There was a pic. in the local paper but not in the online version. Looks like an awesome job.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline SOMETHING WICKED

• Budget Lift
bridge builders
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:07:54 AM »
Exelent article! Katie, is a newer writer at the Eagle, who has shown some interest in our hobby( with a positive angle) since I first contacted her in Sept.. I want to give a BIG thanks to Dave, and all the other groups and people that made this happen! I hope that this is a step towards a briter future for us in Waiparous.
P.S. Don't forget about the meeting on Jan. 11/07. Same bat place, same bat time.:mrgreen:

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Bridge Projects
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »
My post last week seems to have gotten lost in the web site crash this week.

Bridge #2 is installed GREAT JOB and THANKS to all the volunteers. Here is a link to the 2nd Gear web site that has a good write up and photos.

http://www.secondgearclub.com/bridgebuilds/

Planning for Bridge #3 has started and it’s our turn as a Club to get involved. Lots of work and different jobs for all that can help out.  The tentative dates for the installation of bridge #3 are June 2 & 3 and June 9 & 10. I will have more details at the next few meetings. It would be great as a club if we could get ten+- volunteers out to help on each of the days indicated above.

Updated Dates*************

Thanks,
Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
bridge builders
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:40:17 PM »
So these bridges are all in Fallen Timber? Are they for 4x4's..?
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
bridge builders
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »
Quote from: "dubbleJ's"

Nope... we're working on something though. Details to follow :wink:

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
bridge builders
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »
Quote from: "SwampSinger"
Quote from: "dubbleJ's"

Nope... we're working on something though. Details to follow :wink:

The next one is going in on Leisure Creek near the south end. This is currently a quad trail but the bridge will form one component of a future proposal to the Stewardship Committee to try reclassifying this trail. No guarantees but  we need to start the process somewhere and lots of good people are working on the planning.

It is important if the 4x4 community wants to reopen trails we need to put the effort required into the trail projects needed to resolve the outstanding issues with each trail.

I am hoping to get 10 volunteers from the CJA for each of the four days to help with this project. Talk to me at the next meeting and we can see who is available for each day. Lots of different jobs need to be done to get this project finished. I am very excited about the work that has been done by others on the first two bridges and hope we get a good level of involvement from our club to help with this bridge.

Thanks,
Blair

m0th

bridge builders
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »
I won't be at the next meeting (I'll be in Moab  :P ) but I should be able to help out if it's in June.

One question though - those bridges look pretty narrow. Is it the same type going in at Leisure Cr? If so, wouldn't that be a good reason for them not to reclassify the trail?

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
bridge builders
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
Quote from: "m0th"
I won't be at the next meeting (I'll be in Moab  :P ) but I should be able to help out if it's in June.

One question though - those bridges look pretty narrow. Is it the same type going in at Leisure Cr? If so, wouldn't that be a good reason for them not to reclassify the trail?

I was told the bridge is 7'8" wide. Most jeeps should fit.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
bridge builders
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
i'll be there to help (& camping) for both weekends.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Help wanted
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 07:58:56 AM »
It seems I had the dates all wrong in my earlier posts. They have been corrected.  The bridge install is the first two weeks of June 2-3 & 9-10.

The first weekend will involve the use of heavy equipment and placement of the bridge we want to divide up the jobs to limit the confusion and increase safety. Lots of jobs for people to do away from the bridge crossing  include collecting rocks and harvesting willow for bank stabilization and trail diversion materials to be used the next weekend

The second weekend will involve installing the wood deck on the bridge, placing some rock and installing fence to divert vehicles onto the bridge. We will also plant the willow that was harvested the week before to stabilize the bank of the creek.  

This project will go well if we have enough volunteers to make the jobs go quickly.  You do not need to be an expert at anything to be a big help. This is a good way for some of the new members or perspective members to work with the group and get to know other CJA members and others from the off road community. It would be nice  to see some of the former members come out and join us again.

At the next meeting I will push for volunteers to commit to the project. If we can get 10+- out for each day that would be great. It does not have to be the same 10 each time we just need to coordinate who is coming and when. We all have other commitments. Other groups will have volunteers out as well including but not limited to the FWS, Quad Squad and 2nd Gear club. Several of these groups have worked hard and busted their buts to get the previous two bridges installed. We should thank them for their efforts.

I hope we can gat a strong commitment to this project from the club. The last bridge project our club was involved in on Lost Knife was a good time. If you are not at the meeting next week post when you can help.

Thanks, Blair

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Bridge Builder Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:29:44 PM »
I can help on Sat. June 2nd.  Were do we meet?

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
BRIDGE PROJECT
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »
So lets get a list of who is helping with the bridge project.

Please post up when you are coming and I will add you to the list. I have in the members section. If you can’t make it let me know and I can take you off the list.

Non or prospective member’s are welcome please put your name down. It is a great way to get to know the group.

The first weekend will projects include:
collecting rocks,
moving the bridge to the site,
welding the two section together,
placing the bridge in place,
start decking
cutting / skinning jack pine for fence tops

Lots of projects this weekend the more volunteers the quicker the work will go and less for the next weekend. Some of the group is going out Saturday morning. Others may go out Friday to camp.

Saturday June 2

Sunday June 3

Second weekend projects include:
finish decking
plant willows
fence off old trail
complete work on abutments
clean up of site

Saturday June 9

Sunday June 10
Pending what work is left to do

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Bridge
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »
Bump 8)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Great job
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »
Great job yesterday. Thanks to all the volunteers.

If I can find a sitter of a few of the kids I will be headed back out at noon Sunday to help with the bridge deck. The more people that make it out on Sunday the easier it will be on the hard working group that have camped for the weekend and are working both days on the project.

Thanks again for all the hard work from a great inter club bunch of volunteers.

Blair

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Great job
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »
Quote from: "01sahara"

Thanks again for all the hard work from a great inter club bunch of volunteers.

Blair

That's right Blair. Hudge Thanks to the Calgary Quad Squad, the Fourwheel Stampeders, the SRD, Dave Dunlop and to all the other that helped ...  

We had a great group of people and great time. It's incredable to see what we can do when we put our minds and efforts together.

It's a wicked Bridge!!!!  8)  :D  8)