Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Sway Bar Links  (Read 2505 times)

Abrasive

Sway Bar Links
« on: July 15, 2005, 07:47:37 PM »
I'm taking the sway bar links off my TJ in order to install the new JKS (courtesey Fly_Guy) but they don't seem to want to move. I've got the links disconnected from the bottom mounts, and I've got the nut that holds the ball joint to the actual sway bar off, but the link just will not come free. I'm assuming it's likely a tapered stud that goes through that hole, but I've smaked the entire assembly from everywhich angle with a couple BFH's and it's still tight. I've got it soaking in liquid wrench right now, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could offer some advice here. Hopefully before I go back down there and start beating the crap out of something until it breaks.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Sway Bar Links
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:49:08 PM »
I used a pickle fork on mine... worked like a charm but it did mess the rubber boot up.

You'll like the JKS disco's... I have a set and am loving them so far.  Don't know if you got instructions with them but one difference between the JKS and other brands is you install the top strap over the sway bar end... not under.  Means the pressure is being put on the sway bar not a bolt.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
Sway Bar Links
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 10:16:53 AM »
2nd the pickle fork. that's what i used. still had to hammer the heck out of them though. maybe a little heat as well.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Jaguar

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »
You won't be using them again, BFH :)... If they are really stuck, it's 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the frame, then you can get it on a bench instead of crammed under the Jeep

Da_chopper

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
Just rotate you swaybar all the way so it hits the front bumper. Get a buddy to hold the other side tight to the bumper (if possible) and give her (the bolt) a coupple good wacks with a BFH. I had to you the back of an axe since my hammer was too light, they came out after couple hacks.

If you use this technique, WATCH OUT, THEY WILL FLY FAR AND FAST?  We put a nice dent into a steel door.

Abrasive

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:04:38 AM »
Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm going to have to go buy a pickle fork.

If it was going to come off with a BFH, then it would have come off by now, trust me. :lol:
I'm pretty good at hitting things, but this sucker is fused in there pretty damned good.

Kris

Wif

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:26:21 PM »
Quote from: "Abrasive"
... If it was going to come off with a BFH, then it would have come off by now, trust me. :lol:  ... Kris

The trick is two BFHs  :) .. you'll be more than doubling the shock .. as long as both strike at the same time. Hit the bar where the tapered part goes thru .. it'll come off after 3 or 4 hits.

Abrasive

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
Quote from: "88Jeepster"

The trick is two BFHs  :) .. you'll be more than doubling the shock .. as long as both strike at the same time. Hit the bar where the tapered part goes thru .. it'll come off after 3 or 4 hits.

Quote from: "Abrasive"
... I've smaked the entire assembly from everywhich angle with a couple BFH's and it's still tight.

Tried and tried. Like I said, she's really stuck.

Wif

Sway Bar Links
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 03:42:38 PM »
go down to Part Source and rent (for free) a ball splitter .. they'll pi$$-0ff with that. I used one on my Chev truck .. sounded like a pistol shot when it finally parted.