Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZJ brakes on XJ  (Read 1898 times)

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
ZJ brakes on XJ
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
Any opinions?

I find myself needing stronger braking pwr & since I'll be someday doing the gear swap, considering ZJ disc brakes on the rear(non 'C' d35) & ZJ disc set up for front(heard rumor they might be dual piston calipers).  

Working on checking stuff out at work as much as I can but thought I'd check with my learned 'Jeep' friends too :wink: .

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Actually I think that is was the WJs that had dual pistons on the front.  It should not be that big of an issue I know a lot of people do it.  I have discs in the rear with my 8.8 and I did not change the master cylinder or proportioning valve just so you know.  If you go with the dual pistons in the front you will probably have to change the master and proportioning though.  

I can't remember which site it is but I know there are a few that have done it on Jeeps Unlimited, I think
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:58:45 PM »
Thanks Scott.  

Yeah it's the WJ that has the dual piston & on top of that I have the goofy ABS system on mine to boot.  

Thinking I might try going to a 'softer'(stock) brake pad in the front & see about a disc set-up for the rear.  Still thinking ZJ rr discs will prolly be best to 'bolt' on d35 but might have to fab mounting plate for non c-clip diff.

Hey Bill...any comments :?:

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:46:52 PM »
www.vancopbs.com

They have a really slick bolt-on setup that uses Ford dual piston calipers.
I can't see why it wouldn't work on an XJ

Do a search on www.jeepsunlimited.com or www.jeepforum.com

There is a ton of info between the two sites.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »
Quote from: NUXJR
...see about a disc set-up for the rear.  
quote]

I would really concentrate on the fronts before doing a rear disc conversion.

I know the brakes on my old 2000 TJ with 32's and rear drums were noticeably better than my 4 wheel disc equipped Rubi when it was new running 31" tires.

The only real advantage I see of rear discs is the ease of cleaning and maintenance, not necessarily any performance improvement.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »
I know this is a dumb question, but are you rear brakes setup probably.  the reason I ask is because I neglected to adjust my drums for awhile and the braking was not the greatest, adjusted them and it was a HUGE difference.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
I would look at Vanco's big brakes for the front, unless you want to do the cross over steering mod that comes with doing WJ's.

By the time you nickle and dime a wj swap, the vanco should easily be paid for.

You wont notice a huge difference on road with rear disks, but off road it can make a significant difference.

Pointing up hill with most of your weight transfered to the rear, drums are reluctant to hold your vehicle in place. With wet mud filled drums they are nearly non existent. Disks eliminate that hassle.

On road rear disks improve maintenance, and cost. Drums can nickle and dime you to death and are a serious PITA.

The caliper brackets are a direct bolt on replacement regardless of what d35 they come off of. The only time the caliper bracket has issue is fitting a d35 bracket on a d44. The bearing opening on the 35 bracket is to small, and the d44 bearing and seal doesnt fit into it. Easily remedied by reaming out the bracket a small amount, or just buying stock rubicon brackets.

HTH

p.s. rubicon and ZJ rear calipers are completely interchangeable, but rubi calipers are bit beefier, and nearly double the price. May not be an issue with your discount. I still havnt tried it, but from from first glance, I also think 8.8's use identical brake parts as well. I think 8.8 would be the cheapest of the 3, but need a chance to try them out.

I've never bothered with master cylinder, or prop valvle changes with these swaps and braking seems even. Last I heard, 4 disk rubi prop valves are the same part number as older tj's with disk drum combo's.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:02:18 PM »
Great input/output guys :wink:

Scott....I agree that 'set-up' could be a good place to start.  Since I first changed out the pads & shoes I've suspected that I have not yet perfected the art of set-up.  Have check & re-checked a few times but still feel inadequate(both the brakes & my set-up skills :lol: )

Vince....good suggestions.  Still trying to figure out if rr disc system is the way to go since most of my time is spent 'on-road'.

Bill....man yur keyboarding skills are coming right along :P .  Can always count on you having lots to share about stuff like this 8) .  Good info...since I'm going to an older non c-clip d35 I thought there might be issue with mounting the caliper brackets.  Maybe not I guess eh?

Thanks again :!:
TTFN

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
ZJ brakes on XJ
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
There shouldnt, be, but at the most, the opening might need enlarging by about 1/16th - 1/8th of an inch all the way around. Or you can always go with a rubi bracket which uses a large center hole.

p.s. it "ur" not "yur" Rob...............Gawd  :roll:  :roll:

:wink:  :wink:
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]