Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hinge for tire carrier?  (Read 1966 times)

SteveO

Hinge for tire carrier?
« on: January 20, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
I need a hinge/pivot for a new tire carrier and would like to find one locally instead of ordering from the US.  Any ideas on where to get one?  This is the type I am looking for. http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm
and here. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=881154&postcount=32

Thanks. ......Steve

wrenchead99

Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:18:34 AM »
why not build your own??  use a trailer spindle, some heavy wall tubing, wheel brgs and a cap.  best of all it's re-buildable, stays tight and with the brgs being packed with grease i will never seize.

SteveO

Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »
Quote from: "wrenchead99"
why not build your own??  use a trailer spindle, some heavy wall tubing, wheel brgs and a cap.  best of all it's re-buildable, stays tight and with the brgs being packed with grease i will never seize.

For $45 or less I can buy one that's greasable, new, clean and I don't have to spend time finding parts and putting it together.  I've seen built ones that work great but to me it's not worth the hassle when you can just buy the complete piece. ....Steve

wrenchead99

Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »
sorry, didn't have time to look at pics earlier.  the design I have seen and was talking about looks just like the rockstomper one.  At 45 bucks I would check if they will ship USPS airmail parcel post which means you will only have to pay gst and a small duty charge to get it shipped here, not the outrageous 40 buck duty and brokerage fee UPS charges to come across the border.  but if anyone else has a lead on local sourcing for something like this, I will probably be looking for one soon as well.

JeepInMud

Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
I saw one guy build a really neat hinge for his swingout carrier using an old front locking hub so that he could lock the tire when he swung it out so he didn't eat it when he opened it on a grade

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »
Oh, using a hub, thats smart thinking. I was gonna put a narrow diameter shock as the "softener" for opening/closing, and some sort of rocker latch pin to keep it open.

I'll ask Darcy how he did his and get back to you Steve.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

SteveO

Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
Quote from: "JeepInMud"
I saw one guy build a really neat hinge for his swingout carrier using an old front locking hub so that he could lock the tire when he swung it out so he didn't eat it when he opened it on a grade

I've seen that before as well but, again, it's not worth the effort to find the parts and piece it all together when you can get a new, better assembly for about the same cost.  I'm sure someone in town much carry these things.  If not, I guess I'll order one on Monday. ....Steve

Offline LynchMob

• Baby Wheeler
Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
I likey.  I wonder what a wrecker would charge for a hub assy?

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=86641
99 XJ Classic 6" RE 33's, 4:56s D30/44 w Detroits, yadda yadda 2005 Chevy Tahoe LT, 350HP cold air intake, ss exhaust, tuned 2010 FunFinder 189FBS. Ex Jeeps: 90XJ 87 XJ; 95XJ; 97TJ; 89Y

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:57:05 PM »
I just bought a trailer spindle and hub at Standen's and had the flange machined off. $75 total with the machining.

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Pick a part
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
I went to pick a part and got a rear wheel unit bearing off a 1985 toyota camry.  Works great.  The wheel flange was welded to the crossbar, and the other side was bolted to the bumper.  Cost was around 8.00

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
Hinge for tire carrier?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »
I went to pick a part and got a rear wheel unit bearing off a 1985 toyota camry. Works great. The wheel flange was welded to the crossbar, and the other side was bolted to the bumper. Cost was around 8.00

Pics??
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Pics
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »
I will try to post some when I get home.  I won't be till after supper  If you want to go the warn hb way I do have a set of warn hubs with spindles for a cj for 50.00 for the pair......