Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Newbie and coming to your backyard!  (Read 12973 times)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
Newbie and coming to your backyard!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 01:31:48 PM »
Quote from: "HIWYH8R"
Would the reason the name escapes you is the beer part of the pub?  :shock:

could very well be... hrmmmmmm

I can't seem to remember

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »
Speaking of a good "cold one" what will the temperature be late April/Early May? What clothes should we bring? If it's as tricky as here at home just a temperature and location aren't enough I suspect. We just had 4'' of snow on the plateau which is on the west side of my valley and 6" in the Smokies which are east of me (both of which are 20 minutes away). The Cherokees were pretty sharp making Knoxville and it's valley the capitol of their nation long ago. We didn't get any snow, infact the four years I have been here we haven't gotten a total of 3" for that whole time in the valley but on each side tons of snow. Remember we will be doing day hikes and all the great suggestions you folks have graciously pointed out to us. I can't wait to go to Gander Mountain (like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops) and check out some neat stuff...........Honey, you know we need some of this gear!!!!Maybe a new Alaskan Guide Tent to leave at the house incase the kids need to do some emergency camping in the back yard when they burn down our house while we are up in Alberta or maybe some new guns to keep the ones in gun closet that I don't use anymore company!LOL! LOL!
     Anyway throw us some senarios and let me get packing!

Here's 20" of snow here in our Tennesse valley:

shibby

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »
Well here's some information I found regarding calgary weather.
These are average temps over the last few years for april and may

April    High  11.0° C  (51.0° F)     Low  -2.0° C  (28.0° F)
May     High  16.0° C  (62.0° F)       Low  3.0° C  (37.0° F)

But also remember that temperatures will be a bit cooler when you get closer to the mountains. Also, because we are so close to the mountains the weather can change really fast. There's a saying around calgary, if you don't like the weather wait an hour or two.
It would probably be a good idea to make sure you're prepared for everything from light snow to warm sunny days.

Here's a link to the Weather Networks information on Calgary, should help you out

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/travellers/pages/CAAB0049.htm

Giffer

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
haha, its rare if they can get todays weather right not alone weather in April/May, so your best bet...........layers. peel them off and put them back on

shibby

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
LOL... well you're right about them not being able to predict the weather around here. But those are actually the average temperatures recorded over the last 10 years.

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
There's a saying around calgary, if you don't like the weather wait an hour or two.

I thought it was more like 10 min...

But like they were saying, layers are your best bet. And don't forget your toques and mittens.

I'm not sure about the other dog-sled adventures, but I'll vouch for Howling Dog Tours. Went a few years ago and had a blast. Got to help steer and everything! (but you can also just sit back and relax) They're very educational and have great guides.

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
Looks lke Canmore will be our first stop after we get a car and leave the airport. Is this a busy time of year?..........I'm for winging it if there wouldn't be a problem getting accomodations but the wife is used to having reservations for each night. I met a fellow working at Gander Mountain who is here so his kids can be near their grandparents.........he used to be a Kayak guide in Alaska. He lived at the end of the road in Homer. He raved about your area and said to go as far as  Jasper so now that is in the itinerary. I keep telling Karen how can I make reservations when we don't know where we will be?LOL!

A buddy just sent me an old pic of my rig, Ol Betsy. Still can't believe I lost ALL my offroad pics. This is just after her yearly bath.....she's NEVER this clean(usually 2 " of mud on the floors) but it doesn't hurt having a wife working at a auto dealership!

merlin

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »
a drive down town showed that all the hotel have vacany, but that an change as fast as our weather :P

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 02:08:46 AM »
Thanks, can't wait to buy you and anyone else in the club a few cold ones at the Grizzly Paw! Just recouperating from the superbowl parties. This year was a big deal due to Peyton Manning coming out of college here in Knoxville. Even being smack in the middle of the bible belt these great folks have mastered the the tailgate ritual.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 04:33:42 AM »
GO VOLS!!! :D

Giffer

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
:P buy a few cold ones!! :P  Cant wait till you get here!!

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »
sweet. I might just have to make a trip out to canmore to take you up on that beer.

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 10:16:07 AM »
Quote from: "apex"
sweet. I might just have to make a trip out to canmore to take you up on that beer.

I hope you ALL show up. That pub better have lotsa BEER!!!!!!! Just had our Frebruary Club meeting and of course after 20 or so members finished planning our February 24th road trip to Harlan,Kentucky I told them about my trip and you guys. They were ALL green with envy. It's funny how two groups soooooo far from each other can have such close interests.
Definitely GO VOLS....they just beat LSU last night with Chris Lofton(our All American with a sprained ankle) coming back after two weeks off and just playing at 35% speed. We got decimated by Florida (BOO!!!) without him last Saturday.

Here's an old old pic when Dakota was still alive.

Check out our trip plans:

http://atomiccityfourwheelers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7696#7696

http://www.harlancountycampground.com/

http://www.4x4grace.com/tiredirongrb/Harlan_012007_GRB.WMV

merlin

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
oh dont worry the Paw has lots of beer on tap, hell i evan got my own mug hangin up waiting for me :lol:

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 08:54:39 AM »
Well, only 19 days until we land in Calgary! Starting to get really excited about coming to your backyqrd. Have got the wife really concerned that I'm taking her to get eaten by a bear after a ten mile hike (as you can see I'm easily amused) and haven't told her otherwise. Hopefully some of you haven't forgotten I want to buy a few cold ones at the Grizzly Paw in Canmore on Sunday night April 29th..( I know it's our first night but thought it would be the easiest night for a get together not interferring with any of your other plans). As previously stated we will be at the Georgetown Inn the first night and then pot luck from there on. Still up in the air on activities but most will be dictated by the weather and temperature. We just went thru two weeks of 80 degree weather and now a four day RECORD cold front down to the teens..................killled all the spring flowers and almost took my beautiful flowerering dogwoods. I'm sure a few of you are smiling now at our over reaction to a few days of crazy weather..................we are so spoiled with such MILD weather most of the time.