Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep towing a Jeep  (Read 1506 times)

Offline superles

• UberWheeler
Jeep towing a Jeep
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
It was my first trip to waiparous and I used my CRD Liberty to pull my jeep YJ on the trailer. I know there was some readers a while back with some concerns, and all I can say is that it worked awesome. It was even better than expected, as the tow vehicle was not covered in the grime from the day trip and had plenty of power to do the job. The YJ also worked awesome and the kids had fun. It was a great day experiencing nature and all came home save.
Conclusion: The CRD Liberty may have a cute factor but is a little mean machine.

Dragonmaster

Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:14:07 PM »
Doesn't that exceede the gvwr of he libberty?  If it does and you get pulled over by the RC's you'r facing a big fine.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
The diesel is rated a lot high
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline superles

• UberWheeler
Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
The trailers weight and payload cannot exceed 5000lbs, I'm close.  I beleive this is still alot safer than watching all these SUV and Minivans pulling light travel trailers in the wind.

mudslinginjoel

Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
impressive.........,but if the limit is 5000lbs,what about the family?,food?,gas?,tools,parts,etc etc...it could be a good idea to stop at the truck scales,or the city dump,to find the exact wieght... but thats still impressive.....

Dragonmaster

Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »
Quote from: "mudslinginjoel"
impressive.........,but if the limit is 5000lbs,what about the family?,food?,gas?,tools,parts,etc etc...it could be a good idea to stop at the truck scales,or the city dump,to find the exact wieght... but thats still impressive.....

Don't do it at the dump they have the power to fine you if you are over.  A self weigh scale similar to the one on the way to Okotoks would be best.

Offline superles

• UberWheeler
Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »
I have my own electronic scales for weighing and adjusting race cars, just been to lazy to pull them out. Like the rest of you folks, what I want is barried behind all the stuff I don't need. If I pull them out then the wife will realize what toys I have that she does not really want or need to know about. Confusing eh!

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Jeep towing a Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:59:56 PM »
3 self serve free scales can be found pretty close to Calgary.

On Hwy 1 West, there is  one just west of Cochrane exit.

On HWY 2 entering only from Macleod Trail South, there is one on west side just north of where the Deerfoot and HWY 2 intersect. you will not miss it.(as Dragonmaster stated)

i think? there is another one on Deerfoot/HWY 2 north of calgary on east side.

mudslingingjoel brought up a really good point about 4+gear comment.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.