Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Rear-Ends  (Read 1704 times)

CanaMatt

Rear-Ends
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:04:55 PM »
What is a good Ford rear end? I found a 1991 Ford Explorer rear end. I think its a 8.8 or maybe a 9. I heard those are alright for an upgrade of stock YJ rear end.

I was pondering an idea, it could be like a totally stupid question. I was just thinking if I jack my suspension up 3 to 4" I know its a REALLY good idea to get a Slip Yoke Eliminator but they are like $400. I have seen a few jacked up high; full size Blazers/Jimmy's that have the rear end angled/rotated upwards.  Could this get around using a SYE?

I just bought some Mustang seats, I believe they are from a 1990. Doing the conversion tonight, along with a Ford Taurus 2 speed electric fan conversion. Should gain minimal HP.

CanaMatt

Rear-Ends
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:07:06 PM »
Sorry, I just wanted to add that the reason for picking the Explorer Rear Axle is for the disc brakes. Because an after-market conversion kit is close to a grand.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Apu

• Winch Wench
Rear-Ends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »
the diff outta the explorer will be an 8.8. the only weakness's on those are the fact it has c-clips ( but your disks can prevent the shaft from exiting if you can even break one) and the lack of proper welds on the tubes.. you run the risk of spining the pumpkin.. easy fix is to weld the tubes to the center section..

also.. if you lift your yj you can drop the transfer case about an inch. and before you weld your perches on rotate the pinion up so that the pinion angle is the same angle as the t-case output.. this will reduce major vibs.. although a sye is best. you will need to shortn your drive shaft.. take your measurements when its all installed..

the 8.8 is a good diff once you get over the fact it's got c-clips.. i'm building one for my jeep right now.. northshore off road has yukon gears for those things for a good price.. and if it's a daily driver the limited slip can be good for moderate wheeling.. better than being open.. the shafts will be 31 spline as long as you did get this out of an explorer and not a mustang.. if you got the 28 spline shafts don't waste another cent and keep looking.. the 35c is very similar in strength..

CanaMatt

Rear-Ends
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 07:15:45 AM »
Apu thanks

I did some more research and found my 1991 Ford Exploder from the Junk Yard is a 28 Spline. And only discs came on 1995 and onward. Those 8.8 probably get picked over fast.

Offline Apu

• Winch Wench
Rear-Ends
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:41:01 AM »
thats wierd and unfortunate. keep looking.. they are out there..