Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Warning to users - May long weekend  (Read 6339 times)

Jeepchick78

Warning to users - May long weekend
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:20:30 PM »
I think I have written this out 5 times now trying to figure out how to best convey my thoughts regarding the blatant disrespect of trail repairs. I suppose there is no easy way to say this, but I am beyond disappointment.

Although I am aware of the ‘community’ as a whole, being upset and disappointed in having riding areas restricted, I can bet 100%, that you do not feel as disappointed as I or the members of the CJA that took time off during the week to install some much needed fencing, only to see it torn right down on Fisher West trail in McLean Creek.

Although I will try my best not to come across as abrasive or rude, I find it absolutely impossible to believe that users would not only tear down a section of bright blue fence that can not be missed, but that multiple users would then continue to PLAY in the water course and by-pass the obvious fencing that still remained…. Especially after GAMP.

What challenge exactly does water provide that it must be torn down?
Do people not see that fencing is NOT a means to prevent you from enjoying your activities; it is a means to keeping your activities alive!

Is it that people are not familiar with the area enough to know that there has been another trail provided to you to by-pass the water crossing?

Did I not post this information up in enough forums?

Did I personally not make it clear what has been going on as far as fencing projects?

Or are people still not listening…

I am not looking for an answer, nor is there room for discussion as no excuse justifies this sort of action.

The fence was put there for a reason and there is an alternate route.

I have had a discussion with SRD today, provisions are being made to enforce those that wish to 'test' or 'disobey' the fencing or the signage posted at these project sites.
Im not sure if all of you have heard about the fines that have been given out in other areas in AB, but they got as high as $700 and can be maxed out to $5000 as per recent regulations.

SRD has requested volunteers go out and monitor the areas, and write down plate numbers, make and models of vehicles, including quads and bikes, take pictures and report that info back to SRD this May long weekend. Be warned they will also be policing the area, and your fine will not be the measly $58 some think it will be

You can bet I am taking time off from moving into my new home, and from enjoying my weekend to watch and protect my work..

I am looking to round up volunteers to help me with this through-out the weekend. So please contact me if you are available to help out.

Take this as you will, if you want to take a stand, stand up in your own community....set the bar!

NOTE: Planning for the burm at the Fisher West trail head to be reinstalled is being discussed, new fencing and signage will all be installed tomorrow. You have your warning, So I would suggest you do NOT cross any fencing lines, I would hate to pay those kidna fines.... I would also suggest leaving cars and mini vans at home as they will not get over the burm.

Amanda

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
MORONS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Thanks for posting Amanda.

I am very disappointed that we have some absolute IDIOTS in the off road community. As one of the people that took an evening to go out and install the fencing I am fumed off that some jerks would pull it down. Do they not get that it was this type of behavior that added to us loosing our trails. What type of moron goes out to destroy work that others have completed? They are  Jerks, Morons, and all those other comments that this program will edit out.

I am going to stop before I go off the deep end but for those that  want to destroy the work of others let it be know that I think fines would be letting you off easy.

Get involved in making things better and quit behaving like stupid morons.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: MORONS
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:26:26 PM »
Quote from: "01sahara"
Thanks for posting Amanda.

I am very disappointed that we have some absolute IDIOTS in the off road community. As one of the people that took an evening to go out and install the fencing I am fumed off that some jerks would pull it down. Do they not get that it was this type of behavior that added to us loosing our trails. What type of moron goes out to destroy work that others have completed? They are  Jerks, Morons, and all those other comments that this program will edit out.

I am going to stop before I go off the deep end but for those that  want to destroy the work of others let it be know that I think fines would be letting you off easy.

Get involved in making things better and quit behaving like stupid morons.

We put the fence up on Thursday and when we went out Sunday it was down. Someone was suppose to put signs up on Friday and didn't do it! :evil: I'm sure it wouldn't stop the all idiots but at least it might have stop a few that can actually read.

The ONLY sign that was there is the one we put back up. It was run over many time and hard to read.

If there is a fence people should not go through. There's a reason why somebody put a darn fence there....!!!!  :evil:

It's Sad but...I'm not suprised what people do anymore... there are some serious idiots out there.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: MORONS
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »
Quote from: "01sahara"
What type of moron goes out to destroy work that others have completed?

Sad thing Blair, how many people did you guys have to pull out on your guys way home?  Unfortunately, these are some of the IDIOTS that have no idea what the frack is going on.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:23:02 AM »
I agree with most everything Amanda has too say. It is disappointing but not surprising that the fence was down. But it will get put back up again and it will probably been torn down again over the long weekend. But we will keep on trying and eventually we may win out.

I am happy SRD is going to hand out some severe fines, maybe people will get the message.

Personally. I am not a law enforcement agent. I pay taxes for SRD and the various police agencies to get out there and catch the wrong doers. I understand that part of the GAMP issue was lack of funds to enforce the rules and if people don't follow the rule then closures will happen at Maclean as well. But I will not take part in photographing and reporting of wrong doers no matter how much they irritate me, I may speak to them about treading lightly.Education is the right approach it will work over the the long haul, But it will take time. I believe it will just take the whole off-road community down a slippery path, when liitle 4x4's report bigger 4x4's, and quads start picking on jeeps, 2 wheelers start picking on everyone with 4 wheels it is just going to start even more confrontations and fighting amongst user groups.
It is going to be bad enough this weekend at maclean, with trees being down on the quad tails and single track, All the users are going to be on the same trails untill everything gets cleaned up. We need less confrontations not more.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:35:26 AM »
This was my reply on 4wheeler:

Same story just a different year. i doubt its anyone from 4x4 clubs. i doubt its anyone form 4x4 sites.
It may be the same idiot factor that we complain about year after year.

Maybe SRD can actually monitor and enforce the areas? That would be like what we have asked for every frickin year. But, they are understaffed, etc so it is up to us to photo and report plates. Unfortunately, that may not be enough to prosecute.
If SRD set up at these spots...hidden... we could catch the frickin idiots.

Sorry for all the hardwork you guys did Amanda, but are you really suprised? i am not. Until SRD enforces with HUGE fines and the word gets out, these blatant acts of stupidness will continue. We can inform on every 4wheelin site we want but whenever i have discussions with idiots, none of them have heard about these sites.
Such a damn shame.

TK
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
And after seeing Ian's post i also have this reply:

i see one potential problem of reporting.

Trucks will be reported the most as they are the easiest plate to read. Try finding a quad plate or a bike plate, they are there but your camera won't get it unless you are beside them or standing on them.

So, the 4x4 community will once again take the burden of the blame.....i don't like it! i don't like it at all!!!!

SRD should be solely responsible for this area of interest and maybe they will actually enforce it against not just trucks.

i don't like it.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:57:57 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"

Trucks will be reported the most as they are the easiest plate to read. Try finding a quad plate or a bike plate,

I agree, most times you see a quad or bike the licence plate will be covered in mud.

To state the obvious. I think you are going to see a lot of muddy licence plates on the 4x4's as well.

Offline trackerthrasher

• UberWheeler
  • 74' CJ 5
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
I would agree that a few could ruin it for all.We all need to take a step back and realize that what is important is the envirnmental impact and the reaction to it.With the fence in place and the fact that most will not violate the boundry...the land or  ecology gets a chance to "regroup".As long as there are rules there will be violators.Chances are they don't belong to a club or care about anything but what they can get away with.Keep it in perspective and don't canniblize each other. :lol:
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
My sore point is that these "idiots" are NOT in the off-road community, they are in the public community, and no matter how much info you spread over the internet, they're not going to stop.

If they were interested in learning SOMETHING, and didn't already know EVERYTHING, they would join on 4x4 forums.

I don't mind rants on here about this, but I do mind people asking the on-line 4x4 community to clean up their act. I bet if we caught everyone doing the destruction, you wouldn't find one member belonging to this forum. So rant all you want, but please don't point fingers at those closest to you.  8)

Dom brought up a good point - fences were built, but signage wasn't properly placed? Mindset of the general public is if there's nothing telling you that you can't do it, you plead ignorance and hope you get off with a warning. Not placing the signage at the time cost all the hard work put into it.

If you don't have a plan in place for signage when you repair it this time, maybe forget about repairing it.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:23:50 PM »
Quote from: "dunl"
Dom brought up a good point - fences were built, but signage wasn't properly placed? Mindset of the general public is if there's nothing telling you that you can't do it, you plead ignorance and hope you get off with a warning. Not placing the signage at the time cost all the hard work put into it.

Yeah and this just shows our society these days has a general lack of respect for others.  It is all ME, ME, and ME.

Also I have learned very quickly that common sense is not so common any more.

My rant is done
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 08:34:48 AM »
If I saw a fenced in area, I would assume the fence is there for a reason. Just because there were no signs doesn't mean it is ok to tear down the fence and drive on through.
Yes, the signs would have helped, hopefully by now the signs and the berm will be in place and the fence repaired.
I imagine those signs and the fence will disappear over the long weekend, then we will have to put it back up.
But, when the offenders are caught by SRD and they hand out some very large fines, the word will get around fast that the SRD means business and will no longer tolerate people driving through fish bearing streams.
I really hope that SRD actually catches some of these people and fine them a couple of thousand dollars, then maybe that will have some impact.

This particular location is very close to the gravel road and SRD will have no problems at all getting their pickups in to monitor the situation.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
If I saw a fenced in area, I would assume the fence is there for a reason. Just because there were no signs doesn't mean it is ok to tear down the fence and drive on through.

Right - it's just too bad that the vast majority of society seem to think that if you can get away with doing something that is not majorly (new word??) illegal, then it's okay as long as you don't get caught.  :(
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Jeepchick78

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Just want to touch base...

Signage was posted again lastnight and was still up this morning
Burm in going in at the trail intrance to Fisher West, cars will not pass.
Fence has been fixed and was also good this AM
The logging road was fixed, and was passable when I left lastnight.

Thank you to those that will be out there this weekend helping me.
And thank you to those that not only helped to build this, but support it.

Amanda

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:50 AM »
Just remember Amanda....I would say all of us on here support it.

Good luck this weekend.....  8)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com