Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Sipeing MTs  (Read 1126 times)

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Sipeing MTs
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
I am looking at getting my BFG Muds Siped and i am just looking for advice. I am probably just going to take them to a shop, but I dont know whether I should get them completely siped or just the inside tread.

I would have done the entire tire before I read this article on JeepForums. Any Suggestions?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416393

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »
generally you want to sipe just the centre. the out side tread lugs are not heavily siped because they hold the road as you turn. but siping the centre will help a lot. i have goodyear mt/r tires and i know they suck in mud. so rather then buy new tires i bought a tread groover and just opened up the tread more, lets the mud clear out better. so far after 2 trips to mclean creek it has worked great.havent needed a pull due to stuck tires yet. siping is different, but will help a lot on wet pavement, ice, and rocks off road. may help a little with mud as it will let the tread blocks flex more to release the mud.
either way, goodluck!
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Hey I have to get this done in the next couple weeks, I was hoping to get more input on this.

Just the center or the entire tire.

Cheers!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:20 AM »
I had my MTRs siped at teh Goodyear Truck Center when I bought mine.  Definitely worth the money.  I had better traction with my siped MTRs than I did with my ATs I had before.  I got the entire tread siped.  Siping also improves tread life.  I had about 30K on my MTRs and they were still about 65-70% left when I sold them.

As for places to get it done, there are not a lot I believe.  Go to Modern Motors and I am pretty sure they know of someone.  I would also check out Kal-Tire or something.  The truck center tend to have one.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »
Quote from: fony3
Hey I have to get this done in the next couple weeks, I was hoping to get more input on this.

Just the center or the entire tire.

Cheers![/quote

Are these brand new or used tires? I've heard that tire shops will do new tires on their siping machine, but tires that have been run even a bit can have grit in them that ruins the blades, and so must be hand siped.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:02:49 PM »
Quote from: "redbull"
Are these brand new or used tires? I've heard that tire shops will do new tires on their siping machine, but tires that have been run even a bit can have grit in them that ruins the blades, and so must be hand siped.

When I had mine done, it was $20/tire for a new tire and $30 for a used tire.  However, that was about 4 years ago so things may have changed
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »
Yeah they are used tires...I guess I'll just start calling around tomorrow since it snowed tonight.

Thanks guys...

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Sipeing MTs
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »
Update...

For anyone looking to get tires siped in calgary I found two places.

Fountain Tire truck center (221-8473)
- I dont have prices
- only do brand new tires

Kal Tire Chinook (253-6502)
- They do used tires, but need to check your tread depth before
- 28 bucks a tire (this was on used tires)