Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Waiparous - CJA mapping project - UPDATE2  (Read 18737 times)

CJ-7

Waiparous - CJA mapping project - UPDATE2
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 05:55:13 PM »
How will i know if you guys are going to be at smitty's on sunday?

I want to come but can only come Sunday

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »
Because there will be Jeeps in the parking lot.  We will be meeting for breakfast at 8 am
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
It is all coming together
The trails we are mapping are nuisance creek, hunter valley trail, and Harold creek. If you know these trails fairly well, please make yourself known to Chris, Bob Or myself (Ian) either tonight or in person tomorrow.  We need help to determine which trails are best for which jeeps, I believe Harold creek will not be too hard for the more stock jeeps, but I do not know about the other two.
Ian
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Crazy Davey

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 12:50:26 AM »
Ian, are you guys meeting at Smittys in the mornin? If so just post here and I will stop by and give you some stuff. If you dont see me there I will try and meet you guys at the gravel pit at 10. I will be driving a dark silver Dakota, I am sure you will remember me :twisted:

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 07:05:14 AM »
Yes I will be at smitty,s  at 8, this maybe too late it is 7 now

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »
Anybody back yet??

How did it go??

Is anybody going to be out there on Sunday??

I'm itching to try out my gps  :D

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
We had three teams mapping.
Do to getting rather stuck, our team just finished the first section, it appears that the second and third teams combined and mapped harold creek when they finished up there first sections
I am guessing they managed to get all of the trails we needed mapped. I am not sure about Sunday. It was starting to get a little muddy on saturday by the end of the day and  is raining again in Cochrane.
The rest of the group was still on the trail when our group left Waiparous, we talked to them on the CB, it sounded like they were very close to being out..

I would imagine they will trickle back into the city at about 11, then there will be a deciscion made about tomorrow.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 10:21:05 PM »
4 hour winch fest.
nothing broken, nothing lost.
made it back home, its all good!

pics to be posted once I airbrush all the winch lines and tow straps out of the images ;)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 11:39:46 PM »
Hey Apex did Jessica get any pics of the rut hill.  I forgot to take some as I was more worried about keeping at least 3 tires on the ground.  If she did, please send them to TJ54
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2005, 12:12:36 AM »
I just got home, Nils and I were the last ones to air up and start back.
We got off the trail about quarter to 10.

Now I have some funny noises from my front end, and I need to pull my fan belt and check the pullies. Plus pull all 4 tires off the bead and get em cleaned. And check out my front suspension, she took a few knocks today.

It was an awesome run!

Thanks to all who came out.
Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 11:41:47 PM »
Quote from: "Elsifer"
Plus pull all 4 tires off the bead and get em cleaned. And check out my front suspension, she took a few knocks today.

Hey Chris, did your tires lose thier seats? hope you didn't run into too much trouble. But by the sounds of it... you might have had a harder time than I did.

Greg

FeatherFoot

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the help on Sat.  We accomplished a lot, and will likely do more.

We went through these motions to help provide a starting point for trail maintenance.  As I have mentioned in other posts, we are in a delicate position in regards to keeping our trail systems open.  These pictures from Saturday as you can appreciate, are areas that require maintenance and are typically the worst part of the trail.  We at CJA do not condone irrisponsible trail usage, and therefore will not condone "Mud and Ruts" pictures on our forums, as it implies that is what we are about.

So be forewarned, if posted, they will disappear.

Given all of our desires for future off-roading, I'm sure you will understand the significance of our position.

And thanks again to those who have helped out and who have promised to help down the road.  We will all move towards an environment in which we can depend on on the future of our trails.

Bob, VP CJA

Crazy Davey

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 01:18:43 AM »
Quote from: "FeatherFoot"
Hi guys, thanks for all the help on Sat.  We accomplished a lot, and will likely do more.

We went through these motions to help provide a starting point for trail maintenance.  As I have mentioned in other posts, we are in a delicate position in regards to keeping our trail systems open.  These pictures from Saturday as you can appreciate, are areas that require maintenance and are typically the worst part of the trail.  We at CJA do not condone irrisponsible trail usage, and therefore will not condone "Mud and Ruts" pictures on our forums, as it implies that is what we are about.

So be forewarned, if posted, they will disappear.

Given all of our desires for future off-roading, I'm sure you will understand the significance of our position.

And thanks again to those who have helped out and who have promised to help down the road.  We will all move towards an environment in which we can depend on on the future of our trails.

Bob, VP CJA

Very well put Bob. Glad to see that some people can see the vision of what we need to work towards. I just wish others would follow, and hopefully they do. We do not have any more time to waste. Remember people, we are fighting for our future as responsible back country users.

Glad to hear you guys had a good day.

8)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 01:23:56 AM »
Quote from: "Apex"
Hey Chris, did your tires lose thier seats? hope you didn't run into too much trouble. But by the sounds of it... you might have had a harder time than I did.

Greg

My sidewalls got knocked around some, I had a tire hissing at me from the bead. Some additional air, and all was well, hats off to Nils for his compressor! Running at 10psi with the pretty stock Rubicon rims, leads to potential chipping (which hasnt happened yet) and pushed beads.

Otherwise, on-board air has jumped up a few positions on my wish-list.
I like to run at lower pressures, because the traction is greatly increased. But I hate to slip a bead, or bash the rim.
Beads I can live with, if I have on-board air. Chipped rims I can live with a little less, as that would impede the rim serving its purpose.
And quite frankly, beadlocks are handy and cool, but to only have one side of the rim proctected seems kinda half-butted to me.
And I don't have a printing press for money, so two piece rims are but a lottery win away.

Ah well, j.e.e.p.
If it aint a hobby, it's gotta be a mental illness.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 02:12:02 PM »
Best Bob (Featherfoot) quote ever!

Quote from: "featherfoot"
I'm also interested to hear what took Scott 4.5 hours to go down one hill!
They must have dismantled the Jeeps and carried them down.

Used without permission, from an email. :D :D :D
That quote had me laughing for quite some time!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....