Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Dirt Cheap Non Gloss paint job needed!  (Read 2900 times)

Iron James

Dirt Cheap Non Gloss paint job needed!
« on: August 20, 2005, 05:29:39 PM »
I wanna do my Cherokee army green or even Camo if I'm feelin it. Does anyone now where I can get this done real cheap because I dont feel like doing it myself but I will if I have to.

twoponchos

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:43:55 PM »
I bought some cheap "fiddler's green" spray cans at Walmart and painted my whole truck for $25.00  Stuff covers well, and nobody could  tell it was from a spray can and it also has that nice semi-flat army green look.

Iron James

Wooooo
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »
crap man thats looks good. Did you take parts off to paint one at a time? or did you just sand it all down and giver? Because I dont have a garage to do work in. I'm going to have to figure something out

twoponchos

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
Just taped off the windows etc.. and whiped off the dirt.

yjpaul

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 06:32:34 PM »
i just finished a flat black finish on mine.  I didnt remove too many parts, just  tail lights, and little odds and ends.  But let me tell ya from personal experience, DONT CUT SHORT ON THE SANDING!  When i did my half doors, i sanded the gloss off one, but not on the other and started painting.  The one that i had sanded the gloss off of looked 5 times better.  Get that gloss off, and fix any rust, dont just take the easy route and spray over it.  But i probably spend a total of about $60 on paint for my yj going from red to flat black.  And like twoponchos said, if its done good, noone would guess its from a spray can.

~Paul

Iron James

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:28:01 PM »
Yeah I figured it would be best to take the gloss off. Cant see it sticking to well either with it still on.

Thanx guys

Becker

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 07:39:52 PM »
Just like Paul said, spend the extra time on the prep.  Being in the coating industry I can attest that the prep is the most important step.  

Best to remove all gloss prior to painting.  If possible solvent wipe your vehicle down after sanding and prior to painting with a solvent to ensure that all the dust is removed.

Use a good quality masking tape as well as the cheaper stuff allows the paint to bleed under the tape resulting in not as clean lines around the masked areas.

Iron James

gloss off
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »
what should I use to get the gloss off?

yjpaul

Re: gloss off
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 06:27:23 PM »
Quote from: "Iron James"
what should I use to get the gloss off?

Simply use sandpaper.  Not to heavy a grit, as lines will show through the paint, but not light either.  You want to just roughen up the paint enough to create more surface area for the paint to stick.

twoponchos

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »
use 600 grit.

CJ-7

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »
I have a paint gun and a compressor at the hanger .................if you'd like after the body work is done  could go and get some endura paint (I get a discount...cheap!!)

I'll paint it for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Let me know as winter is coming way tooooooo sooooonnnn!!!!!

Iron James

paint
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I baught everything I need to paint, including the paint, and I already started doing it. I painted the hood yesterday.

Thanks anyways though