Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?  (Read 7720 times)

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
I'm buying a new TV and need a DVD player to go along with it.  I'm thinking of buying a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player as well as doing a little gaming.  Good choice or not?  I've been reading about the format wars with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and have no clue who will win and I don't want to wait forever.  Opinions?  

Anyone have a good source for cheaper Blu-Ray movies or have any used ones they want to get rid of?  Suggestions on good PS3 games?  Thanks. ...Steve

born2jeep

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 11:40:52 AM »
I went the PS3 route, and I think it was a good choice. Blu-ray has a definite advantage because of sony, and for the price you pay, you may as well get a free gaming system out of the deal.
I bought the game "dirt", and its a great game. The first day I had it I didn't really like it, but after you get use to the controls, its a blast. There isn't a lot of games out for it right now, but over the next year they are releasing a lot of good looking games. The fact that you can download demos for free before you buy, and the fact you can buy and download games without leaving the couch is pretty sweet too.

my 2 cents
Sam

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
Which one did you get?  I'm thinking the 80GB one through dell.ca since it comes with a game, two controllers and the HDMI cable for $499.  The 80GB at Future Shop doesn't come with the extra controller or cable for the same price and the controller's worth $60 and the cable at least $30 so I figure it's a good deal.  Plus, free shipping through Dell.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
Quote from: "born2jeep"
I went the PS3 route, and I think it was a good choice. Blu-ray has a definite advantage because of sony

Hahaha...you know, Beta was Sony too.... :P
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:13:42 PM »
Quote from: "cablesmurf"
I went the PS3 route, and I think it was a good choice. Blu-ray has a definite advantage because of sony

Hahaha...you know, Beta was Sony too.... :P

I'm a little leary of Blu-Ray as well but I guess even if it loses the format war I still have a gaming machine out of it.

On a side note Dan, does Shaw do any deals with long term customers on the HD-PVR box?  I'm looking cable vs satellite for HD programming and the Shaw box is $6-700 where-as Bell has a promotion for free equipment and similar monthly pricing but with a few more HD channels.  Any chance Shaw would comp a box to keep a customer?  I'd rather not have to mount a dish but I don't want to waste $600+ on a cable box.  ....Steve

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
No, sorry. They won't. The reason Bell offers that deal is because you have to sign a 3 year contract. The only thing Shaw will do is let you pay monthly for the box with no interest.

Not trying to sound like a cable advocate, but I've been in the industry for a long time and started as a satillite installer. I have seen it all, and this is my HONEST opinion...and take it for what it's worth, I guess.

Satillite is great for those who live in the country, but that's about it.

The two major problems with sat is this. RAIN FADE (and solar flares which only happen once a year), and the fact that you MUST have a settop box at each tv to get a picture. You  can however, back feed the second tuner on the dual tuner box to another TV, but then you lose the capability to watch one channel while recording another.

With cable, you can have one or two settop boxes and have other tv's hooked up to analog cable. Plus, Shaw is offering DCT 700's for $55. ALL of Shaw's new DCT's are ALL digital, unlike the old boxes. Shaw will eventually switch all boxes the the all digital line up. Plus the fact that if you have all of Shaw's services, you can bundle (you pay less) and have only one bill. One last thing, you cannot beat Shaw's internet service...Period.

Hope this helps.

Smurf
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
Quote from: "SteveO"
Which one did you get?  I'm thinking the 80GB one through dell.ca since it comes with a game, two controllers and the HDMI cable for $499.  The 80GB at Future Shop doesn't come with the extra controller or cable for the same price and the controller's worth $60 and the cable at least $30 so I figure it's a good deal.  Plus, free shipping through Dell.

I actually just ordered that 2 days ago from them at dell.ca

80 gig version, 2 controllers and 1 game, HDMI cable
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »
Quote from: "calltrex"

I just ordered it too.  Looks like a lot of fun and I'm going to head out tomorrow and get the remote and Call of Duty 4 for it as well.

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:16:53 PM »
Ya  the call of duty games are always good  :lol:
........___________
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J

born2jeep

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »
Wow all of that for $499+ free shipping is awesome. I bought a 60gig of of a friend who had it for 2 months. The one thing I have read is that they have brought out a 40gig version to bring the price down, but this doesn't let you play PS2 games.

Sam

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »
Wow all of that for $499+ free shipping is awesome. I bought a 60gig of of a friend who had it for 2 months. The one thing I have read is that they have brought out a 40gig version to bring the price down, but this doesn't let you play PS2 games.

Sam

I wanted to be able to play the PS2 games since I still play Ghost Recon on mine once in a while and I doubt I'll ever swap hard drives on the PS3 so I figured I'd start with the big one.

I did a lot of reading last night on the format war and now wish I had waited though.  It seems the popular opinion is that HD-DVD will win out even though Blu-Ray is currently more popular.  I guess we'll wait and see and I'll try not to buy many Blu-Ray movies.

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »

Hey Dava, when you check your order status at Dell does it tell you when it will ship?  Mine's saying it's estimated ship date is Nov 27.  :(

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 03:36:14 PM »
16th for me
........___________
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J

SteveO

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »
16th for me

Weird that there's such a delay.  Hopefully they're not out of stock and just hoping for another shipment.

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3?
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:26 PM »
i wasnt in a hurry otherwise i just would have went to futureshop or something.
........___________
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J