Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Getting a 2000 Cherokee XJ  (Read 1671 times)

CanaMatt

Getting a 2000 Cherokee XJ
« on: August 26, 2005, 02:26:26 AM »
Getting a 4 door 2000 Cherokee XJ in the next little while here. Buddy just got a Acura MDX. Man those MDX's are sweet rides. The XJ is an old Hertz rental unit. It has a 4.0L with automatic transmission. It has a stock rear trailer hitch, so I am pretty sure it has a Dana 44 rear end. Now as for this old rental unit thing, I know everytime I rented a car or truck I abused it in one way or another. But it seems to be a good clean rig. Of course now I am pondering possbile mechanical issues and future modifications. Do any of you know what are some trouble spots on these XJ's? I am familiar with the 4.0L inline six engine. I also need to know what type of automatic transmission the XJ came with. For mods, lift ktis seem cheaper on the XJ, so the possibility of a long arm conversion is great. Why do people go with a long arm setup, my guess would be more reliable, things wouldnt break, and more flex. Also it looks better. Should I go spacers, blocks or just a spring lift kit. With a dana 44 rear end I can go straight to 35" tires with the appropriate height lift. How high should I lift it to get 35's stuffed in there without the tires rubbing. And is a brake upgrade required or just suggested. These XJ's are pretty decent offroaders straight off the lot, the  
same as TJ Rubi. My only worry is the longer wheel base, with the 4 door.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 09:47:11 AM »
It won't have a D44, it will have Chrysler 8.25".  the 8.25" is better than a D35 (29 spline vs 27) but still c-clip and not as strong as a D44.  However you should be able to run 35s.  

The reason why people go to a long arm kit is because the stock arms when lift the angle gets too steep and they don't work as well.  By going long-arm you drastically increase the lift, and even with a big lift, the arms are still in a fairly flat position, which is the ideal position for control arms.

Also I would have to disagree with the part about being equal with a rubi, sorry no.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Re: Getting a 2000 Cherokee XJ
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:35:20 AM »
Quote from: "CanaMatt"
These XJ's are pretty decent offroaders straight off the lot, the same as TJ Rubi.

:roll:

CanaMatt

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
I will check to see if that is the case. I think I can build it into a decent rig with a few select modifications.