Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: HELP! MY WIFE "PUT AWAY" MY SHOP MANUAL  (Read 5179 times)

henry

HELP! MY WIFE "PUT AWAY" MY SHOP MANUAL
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:28:23 PM »
Any advice would be appreciated, like I said, my "instruction manual" has been put away somewhere and I can't find it. :lol:

I'm changing the stub-shaft u-joints in my front axle.  (88' Comanche, Dana 30)  So far I have removed the front brakes, caliper, caliper mounting bracket and (3)13mm 12 point bolts that hold wheelbearing hub into the spindle.  Drank 2 beers.

I have two questions, is there clips that hold front axles into carrier, (like on rear axle?) and do I have to remove the large nuts/cotter pins etc.  on the end of the axles, or can I just simply "pursuade" the wheel bearing hubs out of the front spindles with the axle shafts, then replace u-joints on bench and reinstall?  

Basically I don't think there is anything to take out inside carrier to remove front axles, and my bearing hubs are just kinda seized into spindles but I don't wanna hammer out bearing hubs, while leaving something inside the carrier and wrecking everything.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Darren 8)

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:54:54 PM »
If my memory serves, just pull the cotter pin and the big nut (36 mil I think) if you want to seperate the shaft from the hub.  Otherwise you should have it loose as one piece already.  You've already done the rest.  May be easier to work on the u-joint seperated from the hub in the end anyways though.

Piece of cake  :wink:

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:55:52 PM »
Oh yeah.  No clips or anything to mess with in the carrier.   Right you are.

henry

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:58:06 PM »
Quote from: "Brink"
Oh yeah.  No clips or anything to mess with in the carrier.   Right you are.

Cool, thanks!! So I'll just keep "pursuading" the bearing hub out of the spindle, I'd rather keep it all in one piece and not take off the 36mm Nut.  But I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again
Darren 8)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:41:41 PM »
On the D30 there is only 1 c-clip and that is one for the vacuum disconnect version to hold the intermediate shaft in place.  Otherwise just pull the shafts out and you are good to go.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 10:23:40 PM »
Ahhh, the good old vac disco.  Makes me wanna boogie.

Didn't know about that.  Just have experience with my Tj D30.  Good heads up Black YJ

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 04:54:16 PM »
Hey Henry
I could recommend a good mechanic to help you with that if you like.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

henry

Me
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 04:56:21 PM »
:idea: Yea, you know of any?? 8)  8)

Darren

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »
Apparently not  :)
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

henry

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:10:21 PM »
Well, finally got bearing hubs out of the spindles, I believe that I broke a few of the laws of physics to do it, but they are now out.  

Since it was such a pain to remove the rusty-seized in bearing hubs from my spindles, I decided to replace the front bearings at the same time as the stub shaft u-joints that started this whole fiasco.  

Any ideas on a "cost effective" place to buy the bearings, and the investigations I've done so far (but haven't pressed bearings out yet) are the inner and outer bearings the same?  (D30)  The parts guy I talked to said they were, but I don't wanna find out the hard way if he is wrong.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks
Darren

ps. this would be a whole lot easier if I could find my Chiltons manual. 8)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 10:02:20 PM »
Hey Darren, do you actually have wheel bearings, unlike the newer axles with the sealed units that cost an arm and a leg?
'95 YJ with a few mods

henry

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 04:28:38 PM »
I have not pressed out the bearings out of the bearing hub yet (hopefully tonight I will do that) then I will determine what I have.  AUTOVALUE says I have an outer and inner bearing on each side, NAPA says I have to buy the hub and bearing assembly as one, and JEEPSTUFF says I can press out the old bearings (1 per side) out of the hub and install new ones without buying a hub.  

I think I basically have the same old expensive press in bearings, one right and one left.  If I can replace bearings and not hubs, thats good and very cost effective.  If not, and I buy the whole bearing/hub assembly the best price so far is $170.00 a side.  I hope I don't need the hub assembly.

Darren 8)

binare

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
im in the same boat as you it seems. I'm stuck at the 36 mil nut, what a pita that is. I don't think this xj has had the nut budged in its 15 years of life. Where did you find the hub assembly for 170? lowest I could find was around 210.00 if i remember correctly. I'm sure I don't need them but you never know.

Maybe you guys can back me up on this, the whole reason I'm taking it apart is to replace a u-joint. In my opinion its toast becuase when the wheels off the ground, it squeeks and there is resistance while spinning the wheel. If I turn the wheel, it gets worse and "hops" as well. On the ground moving the wheels hops like crazy. The only thing thats got me off is the crazy squeeking, I hope it aint a hub assembly.

henry

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 04:46:32 PM »
Sounds like you have the same problem as me.  I called airways NAPA for prices, and with my SAIT student discount it was $180 per hub approx.  But I bought my seperate bearings and seals at Partsource.  If you need me to buy'em for you let me know.  

I will be borrowing a buddies press at his work and replacing my bearings/seals and u-joints (in my existing bearing hubs) for $180 ($90 a side).  I would recomend changing the hubs if you don't have access to a press etc.  Should have the Comanche back on the road in a week or so....too busy with trade school right now to fix my Jeep :cry:  :cry:

ps.  I started by checking my u-joints and taking them out, then found out my bearings were shot, so I'm doing it all in one job.

Darren