Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: can4x4 mag  (Read 3560 times)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
can4x4 mag
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:20:05 AM »
Anyone else really enjoy this mag? I know the editing and layout is somewhat rough, but the content is always great.  The tech articles and buildups seem a lot more realistic and achievable than what I read in any american mags. JP mag and Offroader always show rigs with seemlingly unlimited budgets.  I think you gotta support the Canadian publications as much as possible.

I subscribed for a year and it is well worth the cash. Besides, i get mine at least two weeks before it hits the stands.

as for their site, the CJA is listed in the links section but I think this information is outdated?? I only ask because it is a great mag and our listing is free advertising for the Assoc.

http://www.can4x4.com/links/clubs.html#ab

SteveO

can4x4 mag
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »
The magazine is decent but the editing is brutal.  I'm not sure if they can't afford a prrof reader but I find it pretty annoying to have to guess what they're trying to say.  I don't there's anything less professional than a magazine full of aobvious mistakes.  I'd be embarrassed to advertise in it.

On the other hand, it's nice to see some local coverage.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
can4x4 mag
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 11:58:36 AM »
Quote from: "SteveO"
I don't there's anything less professional than a magazine full of aobvious mistakes.  I'd be embarrassed to advertise in it.

hehe, was that on purpose Steve?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

SteveO

can4x4 mag
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 12:02:17 PM »
Quote from: "bnine"
Quote from: "SteveO"
I don't there's anything less professional than a magazine full of aobvious mistakes.  I'd be embarrassed to advertise in it.

hehe, was that on purpose Steve?

Wow, good thing I don't write for a magazine.  :wink:

henry

Mag
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »
I like the magazine too, albeit its a little rough on the editing part.  I like to see some of my friends rigs in it from time to time.  

You will get a subscription for $10 extra, if you buy it through an AURS membership.  So for $30.00/year, you get AURS and CAN4x4.  Its a good deal I thought.

Darren :twisted:

SteveO

Re: Mag
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:33:28 PM »
Quote from: "henry"

You will get a subscription for $10 extra, if you buy it through an AURS membership.  So for $30.00/year, you get AURS and CAN4x4.  Its a good deal I thought.

That's why I got it.

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
can4x4 mag
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 06:57:47 PM »
I find many grammar mistakes in almost any publication these days. Probably due to mainly using spell checker and no grammar checker or proofreading.
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
can4x4 mag
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 06:58:39 PM »
yes the editing is brutal, infact deplorable at times. seems like it is designed in MS Word or something like that. Articles jump for no apparant reason and continuity is a definate problem... BUT... at least it is Canadian, at least it covers local events, at least it is always looking for submissions so if you think you can do better... send in an article!

"aobvious"

lol

whitetrash96

can4x4 mag
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:58:06 PM »
If your club info isn't correct simply shoot Albert an email and he will gladly update it for you. For the price of a subscription to 4x4 club members I find it hard to believe anyone would complain about a few mistakes.

SteveO

can4x4 mag
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 06:04:40 PM »
Quote from: "whitetrash96"
If your club info isn't correct simply shoot Albert an email and he will gladly update it for you. For the price of a subscription to 4x4 club members I find it hard to believe anyone would complain about a few mistakes.

I don't think anyone's complaining but it is a thread asking what people think, and there it is.

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
can4x4 mag
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 09:02:16 PM »
Those kind of mistakes, which are the easiest to find and fix, make me wonder about their tech articles, etc. I've bought a few issues, but frankly it was so bad I was laughing at the editing more than I liked and haven't since my buddy's Landcruiser was in it.

Offline kevman

• Budget Lift
    • http://members.shaw.ca/thekevman
can4x4 mag
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 09:44:58 PM »
I don't mind the poor editing, it gives it that "human" touch.  I've never found any mistakes that have made the magazine hard to understand.  I like that it seems to have alot less advertising than some of the american mags.  As well, the mag has more quality articles for the size.  Defiantly worth the $10.
uh...
My shovels nicer!