Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZJ starting issues  (Read 1262 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
ZJ starting issues
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
so this has been a recurring issue that i think has finally settled into a problem.  sometimes when i fire up the ZJ (5.2LV8)  it'll rev to 800, then die right down and stall.  when i try to restart it, it'll kick over but won't fire until i give it more gas, then someitmes it'll catch..  most times, i'll just feather the gas pedal and play with it, until it starts to idle again, however, this morning, it didn't want to stay idling at all. it just died.   so i'm wondering what this is.  pulled the codes, got 12, 32, 55,  32 is an open or shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid circuit, possible air/fuel ratio imbalance not detected during diagnosis. 

so my rudimentary analysis tells me i should replace the EGR correct??????  on a side note i just went and fired it over 5 minutes ago and it fired up, but ran really rough.... off to Auto Value for me???
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
Re: ZJ starting issues
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:06:22 PM »
John,

Try your theory and pull the EGR and clean it up, but my bet is on the battery or battery posts/wires/contacts. I've experienced this several times in the past and it has always been those darned battery leads or terminals!!! >:( I finally gave in and put new terminals on and re-dressed the wires and no problems for 3 years now.

09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
My '93 V8 had a similar problem as well as my dad's '90 XJ 4.0. Both times it also had an intermittent hi idling problem. Turned out it was the idle selonid valve. Replaced with new and problem was gone.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
Now that I've slept I remember what Chrysler calls that valve.

IAC-=idle air control valve

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
thanks pete and clay... i will pull the EGR and clean it, kind of a pain to pull but if its just a stupid valve or what not its worth a good cleaning.  now that i think back too, i remember having another problem with the IAC in Penticton a few years back... i remember i kept stalling out on steep declines. i had just cleaned it up and it worked well, but i think it may have to be replaced..........  i took it for a spin today too and it was running fine, so, hm, i don't know. sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't lol. gonna investigate now

thanks again

John
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build