Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ soft top  (Read 2314 times)

chadlh

YJ soft top
« on: May 30, 2005, 04:59:27 PM »
Does anyone know how much higher the middle rib of a YJ soft top is than the hard top?  Also does the back of the soft top angle a little bit just like the hard top does?  Planning on getting a soft top in the next year or so and have no way of figuring this out.  It (the middle rib) looks like it's a bit higher than the front windshield frame but I've only seen a YJ soft top from a distance.

I bought a used WP roof rack (no hardware) and am building the mounting bars.  Back end is going to the tire carrier bumper I built and so I've got lots of things to figure out.  I've got to precalculate a 1.5 inch body lift (to be installed next month) into the equation.  One last question I have is how much clearance should I leave on the rear mounting bars for putting down the soft top?  

Thanks for any help you can profide

Chad

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: YJ soft top
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 08:33:39 PM »
Quote from: "chadlh"
Does anyone know how much higher the middle rib of a YJ soft top is than the hard top?  Also does the back of the soft top angle a little bit just like the hard top does?  Planning on getting a soft top in the next year or so and have no way of figuring this out.  It (the middle rib) looks like it's a bit higher than the front windshield frame but I've only seen a YJ soft top from a distance.

I bought a used WP roof rack (no hardware) and am building the mounting bars.  Back end is going to the tire carrier bumper I built and so I've got lots of things to figure out.  I've got to precalculate a 1.5 inch body lift (to be installed next month) into the equation.  One last question I have is how much clearance should I leave on the rear mounting bars for putting down the soft top?  

Thanks for any help you can profide

Chad

If I remeber correctly the middle bar is about an inch or so higher than the windshield, not too bad, it has to clear the roll bar remember. The back one I think was about an inch shorter than the middle one, but because it stands up as sort of an angle, it looks a bit sloped.
But mine was a Bestop kit, so I am not sure.
And I have no idea what you mean by "rear mounting bars".

My YJ's soft top had the u-shaped bars running in a track down the inside of the tub. Like I said, mine was a Bestop Replace-A-Top. So not sure about the hardware.

When I pulled my top down, the whole top wrapped nicely around the tops of the bars, and then sat over behind the rear seat and the tailgate.
I liked how the middle bar had the snaps and the drip trays clip to the windshield.
Unlike my TJ's rain runners or whatever they are called, what a PITA. The top doesnt roll up tight, only when I unrolled it for the first time.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

tjd60

YJ soft top
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 08:32:53 AM »
That would be true for the factory and bestop soft tops.   The California style tops stretch over the roll bars and do to increase the hight of your vehical. 8)

Becker

YJ soft top
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:07:10 AM »
I have a 93 YJ with a 2" body lift and a soft top on it now.  The center bar (above the soundbar) is about 1.5" above the bar.  

If you want to take measurements or check it out sometime, shoot me an email, [email protected]