Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Maclean - Sat the 14th  (Read 5276 times)

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Maclean - Sat the 14th
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:56:33 PM »
Is anyone planning on going?

should be good and sloppy out there,.. the rain should stop by wed
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Maclean - Sat the 14th
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
should be good and sloppy out there,.. the rain should stop by wed

Hi B....

If the wet weather continues...

I would recommend not going wheeling in this type of weather. It has been raining lots lately and the conditions are extremely soft and wet. If it was just a little rain ..it wouldn't be that bad but it's way too soft out there now.

Waiting for dryer conditions will be better to leave less impact on the environment.

Wet conditions like we have been having lately are rare in AB and it sucks.... but waiting a few weekends for dryer conditions is better in the long run.  :-[

Sometime that's what you have to do ... (like in 2005 when we had the flood)

Thats' my opinion

Thanks,

Dom

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
Good Point

I'll keep a browser open on theweathernetwork.com

300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline mrbeggins

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
i think if we stick to the trails and dont go off them..we should be good. its just mud. better bring a winch with ya tho :-*

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
i think if we stick to the trails and dont go off them..we should be good. its just mud. better bring a winch with ya tho :-*

You should never go off trails chum! It's because people go off trails that they get taken away 

What I was saying  is .. it does not matter what trail you are riding, It will be really muddy everywhere.  If one wants to support responsable wheeling, one should be aware of the impact on the environment he/she does by going wheeling.  Going wheeling when it rains is not that bad (to a certain extent)... but it's been raining for about 2-3 weeks strait. Because of that the ground is oversaturated with water and loose. Even if you try to Tread Lightly you have a way better chance to spin your tires and create more impact than if it was somewhat dry out there.

PLEASE.. Never go off marked trails.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
 That is what happened on this weekend, the trail to one spot has relay good but at about 1.5km in to the trail it goes threw an open aria and the trail goes back up into the bush on the other side. It looked real solid to cross when we walked it, but then found out it was not. And then spent a lot of time getting turned around and going back. I guess I would right it off as inexperience but I now know if I see something that looks like that again I won't be crossing it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:14:51 PM by Waytec »
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »

Sometimes you just have a take a step back and look at the bigger picture and maybe think about taking a weekend or 2 off from wheelin to let the environment dry up from all this rain.  Just like what Dom was talking about
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline mrbeggins

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
ok...well i want to get one thing straight. i am a huge supporter of keeping to the trails. i worded what i had to say wrong. by no means do i go off the trails, and i have been to the last 2 may long weekend cleanups picking garbage. i come from Grande Prairie, where most of the trails for wheeling have already been closed. Now its just logging roads to wheel which is no fun. So sorry for the miss-communication. I have actually had something come up this weekend, so i will not be making it out, and im sure most of you are staying home aswell. Take care!

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
ok...well i want to get one thing straight. i am a huge supporter of keeping to the trails. i worded what i had to say wrong. by no means do i go off the trails, and i have been to the last 2 may long weekend cleanups picking garbage. i come from Grande Prairie, where most of the trails for wheeling have already been closed. Now its just logging roads to wheel which is no fun. So sorry for the miss-communication. I have actually had something come up this weekend, so i will not be making it out, and im sure most of you are staying home aswell. Take care!

No worrie...it happens to me all the time ;D

Intertet is wonderful like that...

Hoep to see you on the trail sometime... cheers

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
So it doesn't sound like a good idea to go then

Maybe someone should let people know on the sun 15th fathersday run thread too? I'm feeling kinda picked on :(
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »
So it doesn't sound like a good idea to go then

Maybe someone should let people know on the sun 15th fathersday run thread too? I'm feeling kinda picked on :(

just appears that way.  you aren't a member/exec so can't see the ongoing discussions.  either way, the sunday run is being led by a member, an exec and the clubs vice president (in one round package).  if he feels it's good to go, i personally trust his judgement and knowledge of the area.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
Sat. and Sun. would have the same conditions given the rain we've had.  If Sunday is a go, why wouldn't Sat. be treated the same?
near stock advocate

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
no one said that Sunday is a go yet, but it's not cancelled yet either.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

KC

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
well i think any runs this weekend should be cancelled. i went out for a little moutain biking and thought i might check out the conditions of the trials down in FIsh Creek and most of them are closed due to HUGE erosion. i did find a trail that seemed ok. but then i started going further in and i was digging holes, sliding everywhere and ripping the ground apart. Basically i pack it in and went home right away thinking "WOW if i was doing that amount of damage with my bike, a 4x4 would be 100 times WORSE!" i think that all runs at this time should be cancelled. With the ground so saturated it will take a few days of dry weather to get it to the point of environmentaly safe wheeling. Just thought i would share my thoughts.   

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »
  we were out last weekend, and the trail we were on was fine, however, we got to one soupy spot, basically took a look and turned around.  we took some time to get through the first hole, saw what was next, decided there was no way through it without ripping up some terrain.  even as we got turned around we could see the rain was already changing conditions. and to say the least it was soupy, and we didn't feel like leaving any more ruts than what was already there....  and this was before another week of rain......
that trail in july, when its dry will be no problem.  that being said, have fun if u go out, i trust u guys are smart enough to stay out of super saturated spots. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build