Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Short Arms ????  (Read 1117 times)

RUBI

Short Arms ????
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »
 Best short arms for a TJ ????? Pros and Cons......who's running what ???? ???

Looking for a little more flex outta my 05 RUBI ( 4" susp, 2" body, Tummy tuck, 35" swampers)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Short Arms ????
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:02 AM »
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1199

basically what i am running.  mine were built here though @ the bolt on billy's bling barn.   a little more expensive but beefier.  they improved everything so much.

if i calculated shipping and tax and anything else, they are equal price.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:14:06 AM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

RUBI

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »
K...........I'm not familiar with " bolt on billy's bling barn"  What/where ???   ???

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »
bnine on the boards here - he builds em.  quite a few of us use them.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »
Darcy,

Buy yourself a load of Johnny joints and build your own.

Uppers require 2", and lowers require 2.5". Thats mounting width. 2" only come with 1 shank size, and 2.5's have either 1" or 1.25" shanks. Im fond of the 1.25's.

You can tap heavy wall tube, or purchase inserts from various shops. Evo makes good inserts, and are local.

In the end, that wont be a ton cheaper then buying other aftermarkets, but what you are left with is a full set of arms that are stonger, better riding, and lower maintenance then any other aftermarket arm on the market.

Feel free to stop by sometime and I can show you a bunch the different joints and recipes I use for them.

Robin comes by to help all the time. If you want to come by, just hook up with him and make a trip into town.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:11:26 AM by Bnine »
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

RUBI

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
K.......So who has the best deal on these Johnny Joints ? ???
 Sounds like you use them quite a bit so I'll bite..... I have access to a lot of pipe and such, I was kinda thinking 1-1/2 Stainless, can you tell me what I need for internal id size for tapping ???
 Maybe I'd just be better off buying the Currie control arm set ?????
 Time is at a premium for me.....working 7 (10s) so hard to say NO to O/T $$$$$ especially those Double time days !!!!
Just finishing up my tummy tuck ( 1/4" S/S plate 8)) and it's been tuff few hours every day before work, then a couple more when I get home.......somehow in all this I still have to finish my Miata  >:( :-[
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:29:01 PM by RUBI »

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »
I've been knocking this idea around for a while now, and running things past bnine, the choice matierial for lowers is 1.75" o.d. .500 wall DOM tube threaded at both ends for infinite adjustment.
Uppers would use 1.5" .120 wall DOM with inserts welded in both ends of the rears and one end of the front.
The front uppers will be a little harder to build because the axel end doesn't use the same kind of mount. I'm not sure if anyone makes those ends. :-\
I thought I had a source for tube but that didn't pan out, I do have a source for welding/machining and threading the tube though.
I found 2.5" JJs (Jonny Joints) for $37 each with a one time charge of $10 shipping for as many as u like.
2" JJ would have to come from Currie or another source.(bnine?)

If you can come up with the tube maybe we can work together. I would figure 1' of tube for each arm, thats 4' 1.5x.120 wall and 4' 1.75x.500 wall per jeep.
Brad

Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

RUBI

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »
YUP...........sounding more n more like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the Currie kit. :(
 By the time I source out everything, ship/handling fab time..................................jeesh !!! ::)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:10 AM »
Northridge is your best bet to get a good deal on some Currie arms.

Give David a call
1-360-340-0282 and tell him I sent you.

Curries are so affordable, that you are only saving 40-50$ per set building your own. If time is hard to come by, getting complete arms is definately the way to go.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]