Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Winter Tires...  (Read 2503 times)

Jeepster

Winter Tires...
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »
Hi everyone...

Firest of all, SORRY for bringing up Winter right in the middle of summer.

Was just looking on some info on winter tires for my 94 YJ.
I currently have 35" TRXUS MTs on it 
http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php

I have read a bunch of reviews that these tires are really good on snow and ice, but I am hesitant
to run them on ice.

What is a good tire for winter that wont make my YJ look like its got stubby legs :)
I was thinking aboout getting some 33" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A® KOs
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html

What would you guys/gals suggest ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:51:30 AM by Jeepster »

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
Re: Winter Tires...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
They are OK in the winter.  As good as any all season and similar to the BFG All Terrain.

A real winter tire will be much better, but they are hard to find in large truck sizes.  32s about as big as I've seen for decent winter tires.

Jeepster

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
Hmmmm good to know.
Just affraid I am going to slide around alot in the winter with those TRXUS.

And driving from Airdrie to Calgary every day along the highway and the Deerfoot is scary enough on a hot dry day  ;D

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
Siping the tires is what was recommended to me, doing so (even only the inner treads) will greatly improve the driveability on is and in water.  Talk to Kal-tire since they will only do it on even wear tires. 

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
I did 2 winters on 35" Trxus MT's from Airdrie to DT Calgary everyday.  No issues at all.  A BFG AT is probably a bit better on the snow and ice but the Trxus MT isn't too bad at all.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Jeepster

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
I did 2 winters on 35" Trxus MT's from Airdrie to DT Calgary everyday.  No issues at all.  A BFG AT is probably a bit better on the snow and ice but the Trxus MT isn't too bad at all.

Well thanks for the info, glad to hear that I should have no issues at all.
Will still take it easy on that ice though...

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
 ;D  No issues meaning I was no worse off than other drivers.  They certainly aren't as good as a Nordic Icetrack or such but they are siped pretty well.   I  thought they did as well or better than most vehicles on the road.  I took it easy and didn't find myself in the ditch unexpectedly  8)
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »
Those All-Terrain T/A's are qctually quite good in terms of ice/snow performance. They're not up to the level of a specific snow and ice tire, but I've done a lot of KM's on them on 1 ton trucks and I'm impressed.

Another option would be something from the Toyo line. Either the Open Country T/A or the M-55. I believe that you can even stud the M-55  ;D

The downside is that none of these tires are a mud tire. They'll do well for snow and ice as well as give you long wear on dry pavement, and reasonable off-road traction on dry stuff...but they're not specific off-road tires.

Right now I'm probably just looking at siping the BFG Mud Terrains that are on my JK so that I can run one set of tires for good sumemr performance and not be sketchy on ice...but that's based on the fact that I drive a company truck most of the time. If I were to use my JK for daily commuting, I'd probably run two sets. Mudders in the summer, and snows in the winter (the Deerfoot drivers scare me too)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Giffer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »
my super swamper SSR's turn to slicks in the winter. it just makes it that much more fun trying to drive a 120 down the highway, hahaha, just kidding for those who take that serious. but i would NEVER recommend driving with mad tires in the winter. they just pack with snow are your hooped

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
just keep it in 4wd and keep a respectable distance from the car in front of you so you can stop adequately. ice + big jeep = long stopping distance.  the winter tires may help stop a bit better, but not even blizzaks will stop ya on ice if your not driving for the conditions and paying attention.
 mud terrains are my street terrains. however, my opinion is biased, as i drive jeeps with All Wheel Drive.  last time i checked, 4WD can be used in more places than the trail
my .02
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

RUBI

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »
I'm with Fug......I have the Trxxus MTs as well (33s)  on the Rube, and when the weather turns to crap they have been good. Thinking my MTRs were pretty good as well though a more expensive tire.
 All in all.........I believe in dedicated winter tire rather than a compromise. Hence I run Dunlop graspics in winter on My Yaris, and Toyo Proxes in summer.....corners like a Indy Car!!!   :D