Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New GPS & Maps  (Read 1574 times)

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
New GPS & Maps
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
I just picked up my new GPS today.  I got the garmin nuvu 760.  This thing is sexy.  Not only can I down load trails for off road, it also will blue tooth activate my phone, Fm transmit music phone calls & directions to my stereo, store photos & more.  This thing is better than an i-pod but with an excellent GPS in it.

Does anyone have any trail maps for locations in alberta ie. maclean, wiapress ect?

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
Re: New GPS & Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Nice choice... although be aware that NUVI units are limited when displaying the TOPO stuff.  You can display trails but can't  interact with the map information.  Meaning you can't search points like land features and stuff... for that you need a trail GPS.

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
I am o.k. with that.  I just want to be able to verify that I am on  "legal trails".  Besides the topography mapping takes all the adventure & surprises out of your day.  I would rather just follow a line into the unknown. ;D

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
Ha ha... follow the yellow line in the snow...  :P

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
A couple of points on the trail maps.

1)  For a Nuvi, I could suggest sending them without the routing data to the unit.  The routable transparaent maps don't get along well with City Novigator on the Nuvis.

2)  The trails shown currently in Mclean have not been updated to match the new map and all routes may not be legal as shown.  Pay attention for signage when out there to avoid traveling on trails that truck are not allowed.  I will try and get it fixed up for the next update.  It would help if SRD would let me have their data, but they were closed to that idea when I last asked.  The Ghost area should be up to date.