Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Valve Train Noise  (Read 2169 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Valve Train Noise
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
I know that 4.0Ls have an inherent tap tap in the valve train, but I have recently developed quite a loud TAP TAP in the valve train and it is concerning me. It only happens when I do not drive the Jeep every day. If I leave it for a day or two, I get this loud tap, but for some reason it goes away after about 5 mins of driving. This only started last week.

Is this the sign of something major to come? Please let me know

Here some info on my Jeep:
-95 YJ, 4.0L, 5 speed with about 230,000 kms, everything original. Rest of the info in my sig
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Valve Train Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
sorry to tell you this scott... but yer gonna have to put it down:( ill take it off your hands if you like... heehehehehee;)

id say a sticky lifter at cold start up... or, and much worse, a collapsed lifter thats on its way out. depends on the tap-tap-tap noise though. sounds weird, but ive run a litre of ATF through the engine oil for a day or two of driving, then change your oil and filter. give it a shot. cant really hurt. or find an engine additive that cleans all the crud out and change the oil. if its a bad lifter then the head comes off. and if you do that, may-as-well get a thumpy cam and new lifter;)
my 2 cents...
YJ=Y’all Jealous

stoggy97tj

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »
I was having the same problem and its much much worse than beginning.....  It got worse after i put in some lifter additive but for some reason another guy i know thinks its the timing chain out of adj.  I couldnt isolate the problem uptop with a stethoscope so i am sad he might be right....

I have the 2.5L though i hope yours is different

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
Another vote on the lifter/rocker assembly,.. pull the valve cover and inspect,.. make sure your rockers are all torqued or just run some Lucas Oil,.. kept my beat to S#*t 4.0 going until I was ready to swap it,.. if your doing the head I have a great Cam combo for it!
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies and I think that I am going to try the Lucas Oil first and see how that goes

Cam combo?  Interesting?
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
-1995 HO 4.0L (Junk-yard, rebuilt recently ironically)
-Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 Cam
-Hesco valve springs
-Comp Cams lifters
-Ported and Polished rebuilt head, spring height lowered for Hesco Springs
-Pacesetter header
-Shorty exaust (2.5") w/ Flowmaster 2 Chamber
=Awesome flow, Amazing mid to high power, worth every penny and even runs on the stock 1989 Ecm and stock injectors, Tb ect, ect,..

BTW for go fast talk to Bennie at Hesco Engines,.. Freeking amazing 4.0 Guru!
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
sorry to tell you this scott... but yer gonna have to put it down:( ill take it off your hands if you like... heehehehehee;)

id say a sticky lifter at cold start up... or, and much worse, a collapsed lifter thats on its way out. depends on the tap-tap-tap noise though. sounds weird, but ive run a litre of ATF through the engine oil for a day or two of driving, then change your oil and filter. give it a shot. cant really hurt. or find an engine additive that cleans all the crud out and change the oil. if its a bad lifter then the head comes off. and if you do that, may-as-well get a thumpy cam and new lifter;)
my 2 cents...

My feeling on engine flush / cleaning products & other magic elixers is , yes they will tend to loosen and release some of the gum and sludge that accumulates within a high milage engine BUT ,    in doing so can induce an oil consumption issue by removing the varnish n' such from the ring lands. What happens is clearances are now to the point where blowby can now get by the rings more easily , the deposits that were there are now gone.  Use good quality oil , change it regularily to minimize deposits. I've disassembled  & rebuilt lots of engines , the difference between an engine that has been maintained and fed quality lubricants  and one that has been neglected or serviced  at random with low grade lubricants is quite dramatic.

The opportunity to do proper servicing often is , I believe ,  the responsibilty of the owner from the point of sale when a vehicle is new and usually beyond the control of an owner who has purchased a high milage , poorly maintained vehicle  , the damage has already taken place.

Additives  & fancy oil enhancers , I feel  , are for the most part snake oil , some work , some don't , I don't buy them so can't really offer an evaluation on what is the best to  use.

Scott  ,   you have a lifter that bleeds down when parked , not a big deal , it goes away on it's own.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:51:39 AM by Gearhead »

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »
Scott  ,   you have a lifter that bleeds down when parked , not a big deal , it goes away on it's own.

Thanks man.  So I really don't need to do anything then?
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
scot mine does that sumtimes after siting for a few days i just shut it off and start it again and no more clickin.  ;)
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf