Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Clutch replacement  (Read 1991 times)

TheCaptain

Clutch replacement
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »
Has anyone any experience in replacing a clutch?  I think mine needs it...
Wondering how tough of a job is it if I grab the parts etc.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
It can be a pain without a tranny jack, I've used 2 big floor jacks to do mine, twice. Not ideal, but it worked.

First couple of times might be tricky to line up tranny shaft into the right spot...
But really, it's just all bolts to remove and then put back on !  :)

PS. don't forget,  start with the Interior parts  ;)
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »
I haven't checked it out, but have the factory service manual for my '04 TJ Rubicon (covers all models).  Might be informative :)  I'd like to see/participate as I know it will need doing on mine eventually, probably the throwout bearing before the clutch tho :D

Let me know if you want to have a peek  etc.

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
one tip i might suggest is when removing the motor, use a block of wood and a scissor jack to support the motor so that it doesnt change angle, then take three measurements 1 from the bellhousing, 1 from the tail shaft, and one from the tail shaft to the frame rail, that way when you reinstall you will have a pretty good idea of where things need to be!

RUBI

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »
I'd be more inclined to remove the trans/T case than the motor .....to much crap to R & R  pullin the motor.
 My 2 cents  ;)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:15:45 AM »
Also I would leave the tranny in gear and t-case in 4 HI.  Reason beign that when you go to put the tranny back on, if the splines do not match up, you can turn the front yoke to line them up.

Definitely get a tranny jack if possible and just remove the tranny and t-case as a unit.  If you do this, use a coffee cup with a rag or something to cover the output housing on the t-case so you don't loose at the fluid
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »
i need to do mine as well is there anybody that can maybe help us both. i have no problem supplying pizza and beer as well. im also very mechanicly inclined to do the work i just need someone with the brains and knowledge
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

TheCaptain

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »
i need to do mine as well is there anybody that can maybe help us both. i have no problem supplying pizza and beer as well. im also very mechanicly inclined to do the work i just need someone with the brains and knowledge

Ditto  ;D

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »
I'm sensing the coming together of a "clutch party"... tho the beer might make each subsequent replacement go more slowly and more troublesome :)

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
ok beer is for end of the dayish
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »
I am not a licensed mechanic, but recently did the clutch and hydraulics in my jeep (92) and would be more than happy to come over and run through everything.  Also, if anyone needs ideas, feel free to PM me, and Ill give out my phone number as talking is a lot easier than these forums.

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »
I'd be more inclined to remove the trans/T case than the motor .....to much crap to R & R  pullin the motor.
 My 2 cents  ;)

Rubi, I dont know if this was a response to my comment, but i wouldnt pull the engine, just secure it, then take measurements to make reinstall easier.

TheCaptain

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
I'm not near my Haynes manual or my Jeep at the moment to have a look, but would it be possible to replace the rear main seal once you've got the tranny loose from the engine etc.?  I'm guessing yes but figured this would be the place to ask.  ;D

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »
Ya, once the flywheel is off, and the oil pan comes off you need to pull the bearing cap, and its relavtively simple from there

TheCaptain

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
Good to know.  I priced that job up plus the clutch and the cost came just shy of a grand...  :o

Big job.

Anyone got a good line on where to pick up new clutches?