Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bridge Build Weekend #2 September 13th & 14th ++ Sunday 21st  (Read 9877 times)

Offline familyofjeeps

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Bridge Build Weekend #2 September 13th & 14th
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
we might be able to make it out for sunday, saturday we have a wedding to go to  :P let you know more soon
what's around the next corner?

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »

Oh never mind I'm thinking of the bridge at 91, that's a sketchy one with all those metal bars sticking up...wide tires beware I've already had one flat there. 

That one is next on the list for some club to replace.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

DIAMOND DAVE

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
Just want to share something with you, found this on google, makes for a good relatively cheap bridge up to 48' long, and all you have to do is lock the doors if you want to limit access to it. something to consider for your next project mabe.

Trailers make a great bridge.  Especially 8.5'x53' flat deck trailers, but SRD will not approve their installation unless they are certifed by an engineer that they can be used as a bridge. I've discussed this with a an engineering firm and they don't figure anyone would stamp one for that use.

I don't understand why SRD is being that way as they are will to allow drill stem bridges for quads. Trailers are much stronger and easier to install. And you can pick up a used flat deck for about $3500.00 at the auctions.  :-\

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
Quote from: DIAMOND DAVE
I don't understand why SRD is being that way as they are will to allow drill stem bridges for quads. Trailers are much stronger and easier to install. And you can pick up a used flat deck for about $3500.00 at the auctions.  :-\

And that statement is probably two very good reasons why ASRD won't approve them. Easy to install and priced low enough that people could get a hold of them easier and get more installed in a shorter period of time. Goes against thier principles of keeping the system down to the 5 trails.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:55:47 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
Dave, I'm curious. If they won't accept them due to engineer stamp, does that mean they have an engineer to go and stamp the bridges that have been cut , welded, and installed on the past few projects done by people. Have they also had some one to stamp all the bridges, installed throughout Castle, Waiparous, and so on, be it wooden or steel.  Highly unlikely!!!!!!!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »
Have they also had some one to stamp all the bridges, installed throughout Castle, Waiparous, and so on, be it wooden or steel.  Highly unlikely!!!!!!!

No, but they get designs from other provinces that have been approved by an engineer, like the one on meadow creek; came from Ontario
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:48 AM »
To all the volenters this weekend that gave up time and supplied equipment,  Thank You! We had individuals from the Calgary Jeep Association, Calgary Quad Squad, AURS, 2nd Gear club and may other individual volenters. Sorry if I missed any groups this morning, I don't have the sign in sheets with me. A very good group of pepole made great progress on completing the bridge. We still require fill to the approaches at both ends of the bridge, the bridge requires curbs, some finishing work on the deck and some fencing installed but the principal components are in place and assembled. Good work. 

I will post info on the final day of building as soon as plans are finalized.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:32:49 AM by 01sahara »

DIAMOND DAVE

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:23 AM »
Dave, I'm curious. If they won't accept them due to engineer stamp, does that mean they have an engineer to go and stamp the bridges that have been cut , welded, and installed on the past few projects done by people. Have they also had some one to stamp all the bridges, installed throughout Castle, Waiparous, and so on, be it wooden or steel.  Highly unlikely!!!!!!!

LOL... No they have not been "stamped". They started out as an engineered design is all I'm saying. If we want to get technical then I guess we can.  Trailers are not designed as bridges. But we all know they Will work. SRD will not buy in to the concept unless they have been approved or designed by an engineer saying they can be used as one. Basically if an engineer would be willing to "stamp the design" then we would be good to go. I've been trying to work with an engineer firm to try and get them to say on paper that a 53' flat deck would work as a bridge that would support 10K. They need to look at the trailers design and sign off on the idea. The firm I'm taking to is willing to step out of the engineering box and look at what the bridge is being used for and say yes it will work and be safe. They will not stamp the final product because they aren't on site watching the install nor are we installing them as they would expect them to be installed.

Spray lakes use rail cars for bridges when hauling heavy logging trucks and equipment in. They are "approved" as a temporary bridge because an engineer firm approved the design and they install them to a certain standard.

ATV bridges made from drill stem are designed by an engineer and the design is approved for the wait of an ATV.

Log bridges are designed by an engineer. The ones installed on lost knife are an approved design. But they are limited on their length and also they have a short life span.

The bridge that was installed this past weekend was an approved design that has been stamp in various locations. This won't be because we altered the design and there was no engineer on site to inspect all aspects of the job. SRD is not worried about it. They know it can support the weight so its fine by them.

Point being we just can slap something over the water. It doesn't need to be stamped upon completion but its does have to be designed or approved by an engineer to work in the application that it's being installed for.

Bikes and ATV's have been working with engineering firms and installing bridges approved by engineers for years. The 80' bridges were engineered and yes they were cut in half, but there was permission to do so and the risks were discussed with an engineer. They were found that they would still function as a suitable bridge in the trails. That's why on e is sitting on Leisure Creek. With the hopes that the trail will open to 4x4, it will support the weight.

The 4x4 clubs need to follow the lead of the ATV's and get things like flat deck trailers approved by an engineer or get something drawn up.
I think the Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 club is working on getting a design approved. The other alternative is to use plans like the one used on Meadow Creek, which to be honest wasn't a bad one at all. I was quite supprised how easy it went in.
The biggest hassle for installing any of these big bridges is getting the equipment in. The smaller ATV and bike bridges can be install with simple hand tools and some hard work.

SRD is just covering their arse. It's not that you can't put a trailer across. You just need someone to say it will hold the weight.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »

My mistake. I must have misinterpretted your comment. I guess you do unstandstand why ASRD won't accept a trialer as a bridge just yet. Thanks for the explanation in your above post.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 06:02:16 AM »
To all the volenters this weekend that gave up time and supplied equipment,  Thank You! We had individuals from the Calgary Jeep Association, Calgary Quad Squad, AURS, 2nd Gear club and many other individual volenters. Sorry if I missed any groups this morning, I don't have the sign in sheets with me. A very good group of pepole made great progress on completing the bridge. We still require fill to the approaches at both ends of the bridge, the bridge requires curbs, some finishing work on the deck and some fencing installed but the principal components are in place and assembled. Good work. 

I will post info on the final day of building as soon as plans are finalized.

It looks like a few volenters will be going out to complete the last items on the bridge this coming Sunday. If you are interested in helping please meet me at the gravel pit between 8:45 and 9:00

Thanks again for all the help. The combined efforts of many volenters resulted in an impressive bridge.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:36:13 AM by 01sahara »

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 06:28:46 AM »
Sunday 21st finish work on the bridge.

Garry will supply the bobcat. If we have two or three that can help with shovel / rake work that would be great.

I am planing to go out to work on installing the curb and finish screwing down the deck boards. If one or two are available to help with that we need an electric impact gun for some lag bolts and two good drills if possible. 

Fence work to be finished with 8 posts 6 rails and some wire to go up. The bobcat can drill out the post holes. Equipment needed pliers and hammers.

Thanks,
Blair
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:08:47 PM by 01sahara »

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:51 AM »
Sunday 21st finish work on the bridge.

Garry will supply the bobcat. If we have two or three that can help with shovel / rake work that would be great.

I am planing to go out to work on installing the curb and finish screwing down the deck boards. If one or two are available to help with that we need an electric impact gun for some lag bolts and two good drills if possible. 

Fence work to be finished with 8 posts 6 rails and some wire to go up. The bobcat can drill out the post holes. Equipment needed pliers and hammers.

Thanks,
Blair

Updated

If the weather looks like rain we may postpone the bobcat work, as it is difficult to get the trailer in and out of the bush in wet conditions.  I would still like to go out and install the curb on the bridge and get that job out of the way. It would only take a few hours to finish that part of the job.

If the sky looks good on Sunday morning we will bring the bobcat in and open the bridge. Who wants to be first to drive across it?

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Bridge Build Weekend #2 September 13th & 14th ++ Sunday 21st
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »
I say Blaire should be the first to drive across and "christen" the new bridge since hes put in so much work for it.  You can borrow my Jeep to do it since you broke yours.

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
i second blair
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 07:36:13 AM »
Yup, Blair should definitely be the first guy across the bridge.