Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: winch cables  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
winch cables
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
My winch cable is crap. Flat spots, bends, even the hook end doesn't have a thimble, just a loop and a ferrule. So I want a new cable.

I have been considering synthetic for all the good reasons but the cost locally seems prohibitive and completely unjustifiable. So, regular steel cable...My winch is a Warn 8274. Capacity of 150' of 5/16 I believe?

- Besides giving up length, is there a drawback to instead going with 125' of 3/8 line? Steel cable scares the **** out of me so I like the idea of overkill for safety.
- Suggestions for where to buy?
- If I buy cable/thimble/hook all loose, how hard is it to assemble? Is the eye normally just made with a ferrule? How do you crimp it?

Some of these might be stupid questions, sorry :)

Thanks,
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Re: winch cables
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »
hey ryan, I got my cable at princess auto, i can't remember what mine is 3/8 or 1/2",.. but I think i got 3/8, i believe it's rated for over 25k lbs of pull, so no worries there.

They also have everything to make an eye as-well

I was only able to fit about 75' on my winch, but I put on a snatch block so I only have about 37' of pull,.. but I had the extra 25' and made a steel line with eye's

I remember watching a mythbusters episode on cable,.. even with 1/2" cable at over 30k lbs of pressure, it didn't cut a pig,.. just bad rope burn.

Even if we pull at 15k lbs, the cable will for the most part go down (wear high ankle boots ;) )
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
Hi Jay, I called Greggs ealier and while they have everything needed to make an eye as well except the tool to crimp the ferrule. They have a smaller one for like 3/16 line that already cost $99. How did you make your eye?

Their aircraft cable in 3/8 was $1.56 a foot and rated to only 14,400lbs which was pretty standard from the other ratings I saw. The 5/16th is only rated 9,500lbs. For 125' or 3/8" , that's already $200 with no hook, etc. Getting up there. Ordering synthetic from the states is looking up actually.

My dad was present out at a rig where a cable snapped during a recovery. A man was decapitated and the cab of a truck almost cut in two.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:54:06 PM »
Synthetic line is where its at (coming from an experience winch b**ch) no metal slivers and its alot lighter plus if it does snap it just falls to the ground plus it can be repaired easily  ;D
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
Titan Supply Inc

Address: 4155 75 Ave Se
Calgary, AB,
T2C 2K8 
Phone: 403-236-1262
Fax: 403-236-5200
I have used this place in the past. they have the cable and  will set it up . (crimping, eyelet)
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll price something out at Titan, thanks Jay.

If seriously considering synthetic...who have people dealt with? Any where local for a fair price? National quoted $600+ just for 100' of 5/16 which seems absolutely nuts. Even ordering from the states with hook and new fairlead is gonna be nearing $500CAD.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
hey Ryan, i would just go with 150' of 5/16ths and take care of the cable. you'll like having the extra length, and to be honest, as long as you take care of this cable (respool it after every use etc)  you should be fine.  in fact most of us will help you respool it on the trail as we've done it many times hehe.  if your cautious about breakage, put a floor matt or some other heavy winch weight on the cable when u are winching and if possible put the hood up on your jeep (when winchin someone) and have others stand clear and tragedy should be averted. 
the synthetic would be cool, but not necessary.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Well, the place lemon aid jay mentioned is charging only $54 for 3/8" galvanized aircraft cable with a thimble eye on one end. Thanks for that Jay. I'm prolly gonna just go with that since it's so damn cheap.

No doubt you are right about liking the extra length but I'm honestly hoping to never it and still paranoid as hell :D

Thanks for the replies guys,
Ryan

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »

I remember watching a mythbusters episode on cable,.. even with 1/2" cable at over 30k lbs of pressure, it didn't cut a pig,.. just bad rope burn.

seen this as well .  not to mention its at your knee height . the only time something bad could happen is if the hook or Dring rips off and flys thats pretty much the only thing that will do damage .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll price something out at Titan, thanks Jay.

If seriously considering synthetic...who have people dealt with? Any where local for a fair price? National quoted $600+ just for 100' of 5/16 which seems absolutely nuts. Even ordering from the states with hook and new fairlead is gonna be nearing $500CAD.

Just a shot in the dark

my sling i carry is synth rope from when I worked at a fish farm net repair company on the isle. It's rated for about 7 tonnes, heck we made farm nets that weighed 10,000 lbs with that stuff.

The company was called Cards Aqua - maybe look them up, see if they are still around and see what kind of synth rope they have at what strength and for what price?

I have family out there so shipping can be done relatively cheap - greyhound
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
Put on 3/8" whether steel or synthetic.

If you want synthetic, the cheapest I've noticed in Canada is NSOR/Trail Gear http://www.trailgear.ca/default.cfm?fa=products&prodcategoryid=132  with the current exchange rate it is fairly close to the USA places.

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
Make sure all your tow points are solidly mounted!  I was giving a tug to a stuck XJ with my strap - I heard a "thunk" as something hit my YJ.  Everyone was out of the way and I didn't see any damage to the back of my YJ, we found the tow hook under my Jeep that was previously mounted on the stuck XJ.  You hear about these things but I never thought I would see it.  While having some maintenance and repairs done (thanks Jay - it's all good now)  a good dent was found in the gas tank skid where the flying tow hook hit.  Fortunately nothing serious happened - it was my lucky day, I'll have a close look at the next tow hook that I hook my strap or winch cable to.
near stock advocate

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »
This is the most affordable source for synthetic line.

This guy sent me 4 extensions, totalling 8 eyelits and 125 feet of 3/8's amsteel blue for under 2$ per foot. To my door, tax in.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728478

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
bout those videos.
of course a 1 1/2 inch steel line will generate more energy then a 3/8

and thats what myth busters tested was under 1 inch

the reason being the stuff under 1 inch doesnt have the mass to do damage . not saying it wont hurt .. thats for sure it will not feel good but it will not cut a person in half

i personaly stand in a area i feel is safe .