Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 1.8W 12VDC Solar Battery Charger Question?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
1.8W 12VDC Solar Battery Charger Question?
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
I have thought about carrying a solar trickle charger in the truck for emergency & found a 1.8 WATT 12V on sale.
Can anyone tell me if this will work for my heeps battery or is this more for a bike or ATV application?
Thanks in advance!
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 1.8W 12VDC Solar Battery Charger Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
1.8 Watts at 12 volts = 0.15 amps.

Technically, yes this will charge a vehicle's battery..but it will take you at least a week of sunny days to get enough of a charge into the battery to make a real difference.

You could maybe use it to maintain a charged vehicle battery if you were not going to use the vehicle for a while - or use it to "top up" a 12 volt system if you were running a low current drain appliance off of it (portable radio, LED lighting, phone charger, etc.).
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply...
This may not be the application I'm looking for then.
I'm looking for something that will save me if I'm out camping alone & the batt dies, guess I'll have to look into a rechargeable boost pack then & they cost a bit more then I was hoping to pay for.

Happy Easter!
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
Gotcha.

I just took a look at Ukranian Tire, and any solar panels that will make an appreciable difference in a Heep's battery are more expensive than their 300 amp boost pack.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(