Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Chrysler dealers closing  (Read 8235 times)

Offline corsjeep

• Budget Lift
Re: Chrysler dealers closing
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:03 PM »
Shaganappi SOUTH got the axe,the original shag in the NW is safe.I hope they can restructure sucsesfully,we had a bad experience with the 2000 chev venture i bought for my wife,we replaced it with a Toyota Sienna on the word of wonderful toyota quality,it was no better than the chev!required a replacement engine @130,000 kms,had constant a/c problems,and even a few electical gremlins.Another friend bought a 07 Camry that has had transmission problems since new Toyota cant seem to fix.I dont want to pick on Toyota as some of the other Japaneese companys are also slipping in quality (a nissan titan owner was compaining bitterly about his truck to me the other day)The quality of the american brands has improved vastly,the jap cars may win in resale,but most of that gets eaten up in much higher maintenence costs.Myself i will continue to buy from GM and Chrysler.

Big Dodge

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:24 AM »
Wheeling a KIA sounds so wrong, maybe at the end of all off  this and the dust clears the jeep will have a more erupean feel with decent desiel in it. I think in a few years our car market is going to be a different place.

93Zjay

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
northland pontiac
shaganappi south
airdrie pontiac
stampede pontiac
all 3 saturn dealers

thats all i heard

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
What I've read is that although dealers might not be on "the list", but that doesn't mean the company will play fair.  So if they decide that they want to close a dealer, they simply raise the amount of vehicles they need to sell in the contract above what they actually can sell.

Closed for "under-performing". 
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
That's why i buy older and older vehicle's - keeping heritage alive.

I try not to get caught up in recession and closing business's and so on, just fill's up my time that i could use fixxing those old vehicle's  :D ;D
1991 YJ

Offline JeepOperator

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
They are closing Chrysler dealers in Canada. I'm sure that 2-3 in Calgary and the surrounding area will be closing. It only targets dealers selling less than 100 cars yearly. Also, the rebates and incentives DO NOT change if a dealer is closing. ( different in the USA ) The best way to get a deal is buy and add special vehicle, OR buy one from someone who will show you the invoice and the rebates. Also, if the dealer can get you employee discounts or fleet numbers for your purchase it makes the deal better.
1996 ZJ - about to be built...

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
I've not yet heard ANY official notification about any dealers being closed in Canada.  As many of you know I'm a manager at a dealer here in Calgary.  The fact of the matter is that some of the smaller scale stores might not be able to 'survive the storm' due to funding issues.  It's my opinion that this might be a strategy that Chrysler has engineered in order to 'weed out' some of the weaker dealers(good old Darwinism).

Even with all the confusion we are doing our best to operate 'business as usual' as much as possible ;).

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »
Dealers are private companies, correct?

So what does it matter to Chrysler LLC, (or whatever they call themselves now) how many private companies are selling vehicles for them?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
I think it will mean that the dealers will be able to charge more for a vehicle as they will not be competing with other Chrysler dealers.
It could also put Chrysler in a position to charge the dealers more in fees aswell.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:06:52 PM by Evil-Jeep »
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »
the dealerships are privatly owned. but they have to buy vehicles and parts from chrysler. some of you may notice that some chrysler dealers are 5 star and some arent. that 5 star rating is there for a reason. it pretty much means that the sales and service departments have done very good business with chrysler. so chrysler gives them better buying power and better deals on parts and such. and the 5 star dealers get better training and tools much sooner. theres more to it of course but thats the jist.
i as well work in a chrysler dealer and i havent heard a thing about closing any dealers in canada. the Fiat deal is a go and i think that will help us out a lot. selling some econo boxes to stay out of the red will keep the jeeps rolling of the line. things will be on the up and up soon enough. i for one am not going to waste time worrying about the issues in our economy. crap happens. deal with it and move on. life doesnt stop.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
I noticed that a lot of stuff is not on the shelves now.  That and it would seem that some dealers are jacking up parts prices to make up for lot car revenue. :o  Dunno if this is true but I wouldnt be surprised considering the prices I was quoted in the last few days.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 07:25:57 PM »
Dealers are private companies, correct?

So what does it matter to Chrysler LLC, (or whatever they call themselves now) how many private companies are selling vehicles for them?

Same as it does for GM.  They are representing your product, if they are not doing a good job you get rid of them.  If they can't move product and their they have low CSI numbers why keep them, let the good dealers survive. get rid of the bad ones. I know why stampede was shut down, I don't know about northland and shaganappi, but you gotta figure it was the same reasoning.
I deal with shaganappi at least once a week, they have always treated us very well so I don't undestand that one.

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline mikesmoke20

• Baby Wheeler
  • 03 rubi, love it...
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
off topic, but im sure i was going down mcloud about a month and a half back....im pretty sure it read "get a truck and get a free avenger" i was like no way....i didnt do a turn around...but i totally thought my mind was playin tricks on me....no i was not smokng or drinking anything......

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
I believe that after Shagannapi South lost the McKay name their sales tanked.

Offline Green Hornet

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
I know that parts are very scarce indeed! My 2003 Rubicon has been at Tower Chrysler for a couple of months now waiting on a transfer case. Covered under warranty and they still don't have one in North America to spare. Very frustrating as they keep "2 weeking" me to death!! I have already lost over $1500 in car payments and insurance. Hope that they don't put a five star service award banner up for 2009....