Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep mirrors (No doors) and road rules?  (Read 9653 times)

lilskaterpunk

Jeep mirrors (No doors) and road rules?
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »
Im curious what the rules are with a Jeep and driving on the road with no doors? Im trying to find Alberta's road rules.

I heard u need at least 2 mirrors, rear view and drivers mirror? Can anyone recommend what to buy or custom make for a mirror? Any links or brands u would recommend to check out? Pictures?
No having your foot hanging out the door?
Anyone else can help me out with some rules and ideas of what to do on preventing a ticked or getting hassled?  8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:26:28 AM by lilskaterpunk »

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
Re: Jeep mirrors (No doors) and road rules?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
I agree, with Tinkerer... it should be legal without.... however..... I did pick up a set of bicycle mirrors from Can-tire for abot 10 bucks.... drop them in place and tighten the bolts, less than 2 minutes to remove doors and put on mirrors. If you mange to get a cop on a bad day or a cop who sees you doing something stupid, he may not wish to listen to your argument of "the guys on the CJA website said that it is legal" so you could end up with a no mirror ticket to go with your speeding ticket as well as no mad flaps, and more than likely a ticket for having tires outside of the body........ If it were me spend the 10  bucks and save yourself the hassel.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
x2!

And don't forget to pull the fuse that runs the door switches. Don't need to look like a knob driving with the interior lights on and no doors.
Oh, and wear the darn seatbelt too!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
The only time that I was ever pulled over for not having my side mirrors was when I was living in BC. The ticket I got was about a hundred dollars.

Yesterday a cop pulled up beside me at the light and never said anything about not having mirrors. Its like the police here in Alberta dont care or have better things to do with their time then pulling me over for not having a mirror.

Offline ndub

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »
You only need the driver's side mirror.   No doors are fine. 

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
No, you do not.  You need a rear view mirror, even though I was told by an RCMP when I asked him that you "need to have a driver's side mirror for sure, because there is a blind spot there".

Funny....I have a driver's side mirror and I STILL need to check the blindspot that the mirror didn't get rid of.

How many times must I post this link?   By now it should be in a sticky.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2002_322.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=0779719557

This is from the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, so therefore so long as the mirror on your windshield is NOT obstructed (mine is by the larger spare tire etc.), then you do NOT need any additional mirror, drivers side or otherwise.

PS: After working with officers a lot, they are the first to admit that with the plethora of laws out there, they are hard pressed to even keep track of the most relevant ones, never mind the obscure ones.  They are usually offering opinions when asked even though they don't necessarily admit that. I used to make the mistake of asking them until I got tagged later by another officer for the same thing the first one said was alright.

`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

joker

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
haha i got stopped with my doors in the back seat and the officer said he was pretty sure but not 100% that i needed a drivers side mirror, so jokingly i said i do have a driver's side mirrior its right there, as i pointed at the door in the back seat.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
i got pulled over and the officer didn't even say anything about my doors being off, although he was concerned about the rest of the jeep ;)

You only need the driver's side mirror.   No doors are fine. 

i've read you only need the rearview with an 'unobstructed' view of the rear.  thats it.
otherwise i imagine Jeep would have had a few lawsuits over the years for selling vehicles with 'unsafe, illegal' features such as removeable doors but no mirriors.  again, thats just a logical assumption, but for a law system based on logical reason, there are a bunch of stupid illogical laws...........

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
Well I just decided I would buy a cheap mirror for now and it worked fine.

@Evil-Jeep
Dude, that scrappy tire mirror worked great for $4.99 lol I just re-threaded more threads onto the shaft of the mirror and now it dropped a bit deeper into the door hooks so I can screw the nut on.  Im gonna go buy another one for the other side as it kinda looks funny with just one mirror on, but whatever. Saves me from any hassles.

Thanks guys! :)

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »
Well I just decided I would buy a cheap mirror for now and it worked fine.

@Evil-Jeep
Dude, that scrappy tire mirror worked great for $4.99 lol I just re-threaded more threads onto the shaft of the mirror and now it dropped a bit deeper into the door hooks so I can screw the nut on.  Im gonna go buy another one for the other side as it kinda looks funny with just one mirror on, but whatever. Saves me from any hassles.

Thanks guys! :)

Something like this maybe?

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:14:24 PM »
@LifesGrand
Ya thats a goo idea.
The scrappy tire mirror is even cheaper and really no work at all lol
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Summer/BikesAccessories/BicycleAccessories/PRD~0734218P/Super%2BCycle%2BConvex%2BRearview%2BMirror.jsp
(I bought a black mirror)

Thanks for the idea.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:17:01 PM by lilskaterpunk »

Offline justchillinout

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
Princess Auto has some nice black mirrors in their overstock section that work quite well.  About $10 ea.  I seem to find every thing in PA!! 

Offline bobtheknob

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »
search up "jeep mirror relocation bracket" in google forget the cost but its made for jeeps when the doors are off so you can keep your mirror and if later down the road you get half doors you can still have your mirrors

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »
Jeff told me Harley mirrors fit too - for anybody looking for something shiny....
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »
Jeff told me Harley mirrors fit too - for anybody looking for something shiny....

Or black