Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stupid snow/city.  (Read 23654 times)

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Stupid snow/city.
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
And further more ............

What makes  a tire      a winter tire ?  

Most of us likely have it covered  , well those  that of us that have lugged tires and use our  vehicles for both   road  or  off road .  

When I was a kid , living in eastern Canada  in the 60's  , winter tires had deep  lugs , some were studded , passenger cars ran aggressive tires in the winter , it was  a necessity.  Radial tires were only read about in popular mechanics magazines and were not being made or sold yet .

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

What makes  a tire      a winter tire ?   

Most of us likely have it covered  , well those  that of us that have lugged tires and use our  vehicles for both   road  or  off road .   

When I was a kid , living in eastern Canada  in the 60's  , winter tires had deep  lugs , some were studded , passenger cars ran aggressive tires in the winter , it was  a necessity.  Radial tires were only read about in popular mechanics magazines and were not being made or sold yet .

Yeah! good point/observation.

dunl, even when the city streets here look bare and dry, the -20 or colder still makes them slippery than a witche's...
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »

What makes  a tire      a winter tire ?  

Most of us likely have it covered  , well those  that of us that have lugged tires and use our  vehicles for both   road  or  off road .  

When I was a kid , living in eastern Canada  in the 60's  , winter tires had deep  lugs , some were studded , passenger cars ran aggressive tires in the winter , it was  a necessity.  Radial tires were only read about in popular mechanics magazines and were not being made or sold yet .

A modern winter tire is worlds away from the winter tires that everyone used in the 60's, 70's and into the 80's. It's not about lugs and void space - it's about soft compounds and sipes. I've driven a number of different vehicles on them, and compared to a conventional tire it's like having suction cups on all four corners of your vehicle. The difference is shocking...even when you compare them to a good AT or a siped MT.

Big lugs and lots of void space are just what the doctor ordered in deep snow...but they won't keep up to a modern winter tire on glazed hard-packed snow or ice. As I said...I've driven vehicles on both types of tires and there is no comparison. Then again, run those winter specific tires in the summer and you'll be buying one set a year.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
I would say go see the boy's at Country tire.
they are good guys and I think they charge about 20 bucks a tire(I think)
this year I only got the 4 winters on the jeep. will likely find another rim and get a 5th later this winter or next year.

at Costco it is 11 bucks a rim. ( but you have to have one set from costco and they have to follow the few rules we have)

winter tires do not make people better drivers, and I try to make people know that when buying them, that they have to drive smarter in the winter, slow down and give people space and drive for the conditions.

they can't make you a better driver, but it can help with traction and more or less not freeze up into a puck.

nice to see everyone's opinions though
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »
dunl, even when the city streets here look bare and dry, the -20 or colder still makes them slippery than a witche's...

I said when they are bare.....not when they LOOK bare.  :)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
I keep the jeep in 2WD most of the time.
some of the side streets that are narrow and slick I will throw it in 4x4 if I have to pass beside someone.

some intersections are slick and it helps too.
I just need a few more sand bags to get more weight in the rear.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
dunl,
i was with ya on that one. no worries.
i was just adding to the discussion by 'reminding' the Calgary folk. ;)

Pat, i know a GOOD driver can negotiate the worst of it in 2wd with a good set of boots.  :)
But a good driver in those conditions (Cold, Icy, etc) is a rare sighting in this city.
If 4wd is available, it should be engaged. Yeah, we can point out that some 4x4 citizens think 4x4 means invincible ::)

But, overall, i feel much better 'hoping' that the Jeep, Truck, or car beside me on Crowchild has that option engaged, as we approach the twisties at 80k. ;D

w squared,
i agree something should be done. Its like wheelin with a guy that has bald offroad tires, it sucks for you and me.
My CJ has Maxxis Bighorns. They are wonderful on road, and i hear they are great offroad including snow.

But, i had to take the jeep out of its warm  garage and get my tires flipped to put it away for the winter (except the odd winter wheelin). Anyways,  i was on 42nd heading west towards Macleod. It was one of those cold snow filled days, there was a slight hill to the intersection and i was in 2wd. i wasted one whole cycle of lights trying to 'massage' my way up that tiny hill. It sucked for me and those behind me.
i thought i was going to have to get out and lock the hubs. :-[

Intersections suck for those of us with decent tires and/or 4x4/awd capability, because so much time is wasted by Calgarians  with CRAP tires.
i would like to see mandatory tire inspection before i see mandatory need to buy tires. ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:57:32 PM by Spinalguy »

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
I think that I fall somewhere betwenn you two as far as engaging 4WD.

If the road is bare or mostly bare, I run my Jeep in 2WD. If it's snow/ice covered or mostly covered, I slip it into 4WD. I understand the points that you're making Pat, but I think that the time required to reach down and engage 4WD is time that I can't rely on having available to me in a collision avoidance situation.

4WD will never be the equal of AWD on snowy/icy roads...just like my siped MT's will never be the equal of good winter tires on typical winter roads....but AT's or siped MT's and 4WD still puts us far, far ahead of the average econobox or kidlet hauler on all-season tires.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »

4WD will never be the equal of AWD on snowy/icy roads...just like my siped MT's will never be the equal of good winter tires on typical winter roads....but AT's or siped MT's and 4WD still puts us far, far ahead of the average econobox or kidlet hauler on all-season tires.

this part is partially true anyway, but it will not really help your ability to stop.
I always laugh at people when they say that they can run a mud tire in winter and never have a problem, even on ice ::)

I was playing arround with the mud tires when it first snowed and they were ok, but when it started to ice up I was like this :o  :-\  :'(
well, maybe not, but it was still not that fun. with the winters on it is night and day. for me, a little money for more confidence in my vehicles, the better.
most people wouln't go anywhere without a spare and a jack(well, all that often, I had to do that last night, still need to fix the jackall)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »
Pat, i think you get caught up in nice technical lenghty BS. ;)
ANY TJ/JK in 4wd HI is meant to be there on any surface that has any amount of slippery condition.
i have run my TJ in the middle of summer on RAIN filled surfaces in 4wd HI.
Your jeep is receiving zero damage to its components in Calgary on roads that have seen sun during day and temps that drop to 15below or colder, i get to drive home (22kms) every night after work. The roads are like ICE. 4wd HI is perfectly safe to use. There is no slippage, making it less safe ::)
There is make belief world (all the tech data) vs real world. i dare you to try it, you might be surprised :o
Maybe that is why they put the 4wd HI option in a transfer case, so it can be used. You be the hero though and use 2wd when 4wd hi is perfectly suited for those conditions.

And yeah, it is my pet peeve. 4wd hi is meant to be used not turned on when it is too late.
Judging by your short response to any thread on CJA, i highly doubt you could react quickly enough as you would spend 'hours' mulling it over with all that tech you have inside your head, as your rig bounces off walls...and cars. :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:11:56 AM by Spinalguy »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
this part is partially true anyway, but it will not really help your ability to stop.
I always laugh at people when they say that they can run a mud tire in winter and never have a problem, even on ice ::)

I was playing arround with the mud tires when it first snowed and they were ok, but when it started to ice up I was like this :o  :-\  :'(
well, maybe not, but it was still not that fun. with the winters on it is night and day. for me, a little money for more confidence in my vehicles, the better.
most people wouln't go anywhere without a spare and a jack(well, all that often, I had to do that last night, still need to fix the jackall)

i think we can all agree on that. Having 4x4 does not stop you any faster...

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 09:26:50 AM »
i think we can all agree on that. Having 4x4 does not stop you any faster...

THAT right there is a pet peeve of mine...people who think that.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I dunno fellas, try driving down a clear stretch in 2wd and slam on the brakes, then try it in 4x.  In 4 you should notice the front actually helps brake the rear, thus the front doesn't lock up as quick and send you sailing.  Call it more controlled, moreso than faster; but still, it's no excuse
for not leaving enough distance for the road conditions.

If you want to get technical look up the difference between static and kinetic friction.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »
There might be a slight difference alright, and that's due to the front and rear being connected as I stated in my "technical BS" post.

Hence me saying the front helps the rear, because you have it connected because it's in 4hi.  I'm pretty sure most of us on here aren't mildly retarded, we know how it works.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Can someone explain to me how the brake system is connected to the transfer case?
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com