Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Is your oil zinc-y enough?  (Read 10743 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Is your oil zinc-y enough?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Ok so what oil has enough zinc in it that we can get here in calgary for our 4.0's?

Did you even bother to read what I just wrote, cause your answer is in there.

Is that not plain enough? Maybe you would prefer one us hand deliver some oil to your house? For christ sakes..........................
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
Zinc has been pulled out of rotella every year for the last few years, so the discussion regarding rotella here is irrelevant.

That explains why my co-worker was after the jugs of Rotella we had collecting dust in the back of the oil room. Was probably old stock that still had the zinc in it...

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
i know nothing of ZINC but i do know Rotella T 10-40 Diesel oil to run in:
my race dirtbike as do most racers
my Victory street bike
my Dodge Ram 12V

It is so cheap!
Lots of internet stuff regarding Rotella T. i will search so Bnine doesn't bite my head off :D as to when and how much zinc reduction occurred over the years.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:31:33 AM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Looky what i found!

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

Now i know why bikes like it!

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Zinc has been pulled out of rotella every year for the last few years, so the discussion regarding rotella here is irrelevant.

Bill, i have been googling but i can find no evidence of your statement above???

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:35 PM »
GM makes and oil additive package called EOS(Engine oil suppliment)  It is designed to be added to zinc reduced oil as a supliment for flat tappet cam applications.  It is about $10 a bottle.  So $10 dollars an oil change is good insurance.  It is what I use, I used to work for an engine rebuilder, we put it in every new build to assist with break in.  Plus you can buy it at every GM dealer.

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
barbeque's.................bicycles.................and treadmills...............and you actually get into arguments with people professionally trained in the very things you post about. you are amazing. i must admit, i now come here daily to see what new and wonderfull advice you have bestowed onto us.

wow you seem really determined to turn an interesting discussion into a flame war...what's up with that?

How about I don't disparage your profession and you don't insult mine...I could share some really interesting stories about things I have seen professional licenesed techs do at some of my client's shops...also consider that our customers prefer our expertise to using their own staff, even though many of our clients have 20+ licenesed auto techs already on site and on payroll. We each have our areas of expertise. You should see some of the hilarious bike repairs we have corrected after one of the auto techs tried to fix up some customer...let alone what our trained, licenced (motor)bike techs have seen these guys do to some quads and bikes...
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
Bill, i have been googling but i can find no evidence of your statement above???

I've seen it tom, but having been in so many oil discussions I cant remember exactly where. It might have been in Coreys oil thread on pirate, or on one of the links from an oil board, or the stroker one.

I do know if you go to an "oil" board, and yes, there are entire forums dedicated to oil, they will direct you to the literature related to the reduction in ZDDP shell has made.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
Ok so what oil has enough zinc in it that we can get here in calgary for our 4.0's?

I guess you were just looking for someone's advice and you got jumped on, sorry.

I am in the process of trying to figure this out myself.
currently I am using Shell Rotella T6 5W40. I believe the package says it's for gas or diesel. It's synthetic andd costs $30 a jug at crappy T.

According to my engine builder buddy, any diesel oil is good. But it's hard to find 5w30 diesel oil.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »
GM makes and oil additive package called EOS(Engine oil suppliment)  It is designed to be added to zinc reduced oil as a supliment for flat tappet cam applications.  It is about $10 a bottle.  So $10 dollars an oil change is good insurance.  It is what I use, I used to work for an engine rebuilder, we put it in every new build to assist with break in.  Plus you can buy it at every GM dealer.

This sounds like another good option. I guess this is a real issue and not just an urban legend.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline rocnrol

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
how do "many of your clients have 20+ licensed auto techs", and yet you never said you worked on cars. and anywhere  that a shop has 20+ licensed techs, would more then likely be a dealership, in which case they would easily be able to deal with any issue, and not require the services of forest gump inc.

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »
how do "many of your clients have 20+ licensed auto techs", and yet you never said you worked on cars. and anywhere  that a shop has 20+ licensed techs, would more then likely be a dealership, in which case they would easily be able to deal with any issue, and not require the services of forest gump inc.

If you weren't so confrontational I would be inclined to discuss this further.
Does it make you feel better about yourself to call others names and be insulting?
Do you want to explore topics or just to "win"?
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
I've seen it tom, but having been in so many oil discussions I cant remember exactly where. It might have been in Coreys oil thread on pirate, or on one of the links from an oil board, or the stroker one.

I do know if you go to an "oil" board, and yes, there are entire forums dedicated to oil, they will direct you to the literature related to the reduction in ZDDP shell has made.

Thanks Bill. i took a chance you had it somewhere close.
And, yes that search button needs to be used. Especially TIRE and LIFT threads :rolleyes:

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »

why do guys like you ruin good threads with your personal attacks and then not even respond to direct questions? I can understand if this was more of what you consider "bad tech advice" but for the love of god it's a thread about oil. And I'm just saying what I was told and I clearly represented it as 2nd hand information.

dude relax...or something
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »
Did you even bother to read what I just wrote, cause your answer is in there.

Is that not plain enough? Maybe you would prefer one us hand deliver some oil to your house? For christ sakes..........................

Wow this is a great response. I think this is a great way to attract new members to your club and encourage goodwill with non members. Insulting people and swearing is a great way to improve your club's image as well.

You should be a little nicer. The guy has 32 posts so it's not like he just signed up to ask about an XJ bodylift and maybe you just turned him off the Whole CJA idea.

Remember, if it says "CJA Executive" or "CJA members" below your name, you represent your club in your posts. And this is an open forum.

;D
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford