Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Dana 44 Fluid Replacement  (Read 12014 times)

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
Re: Dana 44 Fluid Replacement
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Hmmmm, that does sound like a good idea, I might look into it when I have a free weekend.
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »
all its ganna do is make it look new .

your diff is 2 thick of steel to rust in our life time    so its ganna hide the little bit of surface rust thats it

but it does look pretty
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
Holy smokes, stop over thinking bud.

I will lay it out for you as simple as possible.

80-90 is fine dfor your axles.

Your rear axle uses a worm gear limited slip. The additive won't hurt the lsd, but it can reduce how effective it is.

Almost all synthetic oils meet additive specs. Mopar would not recommend synthetic if additive grade fluid was detrimental to the rear tru-lok.

With wheeling, and frequent modifications it is not worth the money to run synthetic.

If you want more protection then 80-90 but don't want the additive properties, or cost of synthetic you can run 85-140 non synthetic from Greggs distributers. At 6 bucks a litre, its an affordable option.

It comes in 20 litre pails. If you don't want that much volume, bring a 4L jug over and I will sell you some, as I keep it in bulk.

As for my background, I've rebuilt, repaired, and regeared well into 100 rubicon differentials.

This is as much as you will ever need to know regarding your rubi diffs and the fluid.

Hth

Now let this poor thread die already ;)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
Haha, fair enough.  Next time I guess I'll just stick with the 80W-90.  Maybe when Stan gets those ARB diff covers in stock again, and I pick some up and go to install them.

I've heard good things about you, so I trust your judgment, and if I ever need work done I'll be sure to contact you!  Thanks for the help / advice, but I can't promise I'll kill the thread...I was thinking, when I get a chance in August (or September?  so busy these days...) and can clean up the diff...and everything around the front end there, and can repaint, I'll revive this thread and post the pictures :D

...can't resist ;)
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
If you've got your heart set on getting a new cover, I picked up a set (D44 and an 8.8) of covers from Solid Axle Insdustries. They're beefy, and should stand up to a ton of abuse. The prices are really good on their website right now too.... http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 05:10:39 PM »
That is a pretty good price for the Solid cover. Stan at Northridge is also running an (unadvertised) special right now -2 Riddler D44 covers and two lubelocker D44 gaskets for $250 shipped.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(