Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cobra 75 WX ST  (Read 4746 times)

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Cobra 75 WX ST
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
I've replaced two Cobra 75s for guys that had them crap out on them. Brought them to me as they thought they installed the antenna wrong and after mucking around it turned out the radio was bad.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPath=6_132&products_id=598

Radioworld has it for $155
Shipping from TO extra, +GST.

There is no way that Road King would have it for $300+, unless it came fully equipped, coax, antenna, mounts.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »
There are currently two differnt Cobra 29s in the For Sale forums at really good prices with antennas. These are on the high end of the spectrum for CBs and can be made to perform VERY well. I run 3 three of them in my vehicles and they work great. Just have to get creative with mounting as they are a large unit.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
I will throw one thing out there though...what CB you mount to your rig doesn't really have all that much effect of CB performance. A good coax, a good antenna (TREVOR!), and a good mount will do more for your ability to use the CB effectively than changing what CB you install. All legal CB's are running at 4 watts, so there won't be much difference in what performance you get from them. As long as you can talk to the rest of the folks on the same trailer run, who really cares?

If you want to talk to someone that's on a different trail run...get yourself a HAM license. Then you'll be able to talk to folks!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
It is true that the antenna plays a bigger part in the equation than the radio, however a good radio vs a bad one makes life nicer as well. I found the sound clarity on a higher end receiver to be much more understandable than on a low. Now when you are just puttering along on a trail talking to someone 3 jeeps in front of you won't notice a difference. Where you will notice the difference is when you split up or try to reach another group just other that ridge or looking for a lost group is when you'll hear a difference.  Gunther and I have similar Cobra 29s and I've been amazed before how far we can reach. Now granted if I had a Ham it wouldn't even be an issue but thats a whole other topic.....

Basically my point is I'd rather spend $150 and get a used higher end CB radio than a $150 on a new 75.  I can defiantly see the attraction of the compact package of the 75 and not everyone needs a high end reciever but I havn't been impressed with the 75s I had to trouble shoot. Its kind of like the Warn/Champion/Superwinch saga. Why buy a cheaper quality new winch when you can buy a used Warn for similar money...

Also the higher end radios are <ahem> upgradable.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
Yup...that's definitely a valid point. For me, the 75 makes sense because I'm not willing to give up enough of the limited dash space in my daily driver to mount a standard sized CB, and I don't want to mount in the footwells. The problem is made worse by the fact that the head unit for my HAM and my GPS doojamahickes take up extra space.

Given that I tend not to use a CB for anything other than talking to other Jeeps that are within a mile of me, the 75 works fine...and it leave lotsa space for "shiny" radios.

Now I just need to figure out how to fit an HF rig into my Jeep...that'll really let me cover some distance with HAM.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
Ya if you've got a ham no need for a big honkin CB.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
I was at the Bass pro shop a couple weeks ago, they also seem to have a decent amount of CBs for sail... may be worth checking as well.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
I was at the Bass pro shop a couple weeks ago, they also seem to have a decent amount of CBs for sail... may be worth checking as well.

Thanks for the heads up... I work up in Skyview, cross iron mills is 5 min away.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000