Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep of the Month  (Read 7870 times)

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
Re: Jeep of the Month
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
WOW! Who knew my little question would spark such passion. Haha. Now for my two cents.

I have been registered on this web site for over four years. I have participated in numerous CJA events since 2006 including monthly CJA meetings. I have spent countless hours cleaning trails, scolding irresponsible offroaders, and upholding the values of the club and Tread Lightly. I am not an official member of CJA. I am not a member for a few reasons. I live several hours away and I can't attend monthly meetings or most events anymore because of this distance. I am not a member of CJA and niether are the majority of the users of this website but almost all of us support CJA and what this club stands for. I have wheeled with more non members from this website than members and I can vouch for nearly all of them to be resposible offroad enthusiasts.

I guess where I am going with this is that some times it really does bother me that things like a "Jeep of the Month" are exclusive to members only. I support apeman 100% in the fact that the jeep of the month should be modified to some degree. What I like about some other websites is that people are asked to submit a few photos and a story behind their jeep and what they have done. A panel of judges decide on a short list of jeeps entered and then they post the pictures and stories for everyone to see and vote on. The only "musts" to enter are - Good Pictures of Modified Jeeps.

I will tell you right now that by excluding people from participating in anything will not increase your number of memberships. If you want to get people involved with your club then you need to include people in the little things like this. As you do, you will find that people will adopt your vision and will be more likely to get involved with the more significant things like trail repairs and cleanups. People want to be acknowledged and admired for their hard work before they give anything back. I know it sounds crazy and pathetic but it is true.

Anyways. There it is... My two cents. I know you didn't want it, but you got it any how. Let's think about opening up the jeep of the month to everyone eh?
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »
i believe this is what you're after? http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?board=30.0   

it fits your definition to a tee; but we call it 'build ups' instead of 'Jeep of the Month' 

i apologize if our terminology does not coincide with Jeepforums ;)

your 'definition' of jeep of the month sounds like to much work.  and we're lazy.  and usually busy wrenching and stuff. don't feel like judging a bunch of random peoples jeeps (that we may not have even met) just to coddle their ego.   

make a build thread for that and let others ogle said jeep ;)

ps, i'd love to see a writeup on the AEV kit Josh...... saw the AEV 6.1 today and was drooling over it.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »
This is an interesting conversation - for years I have wanted to join the club, but as an out-of-towner, whether intentional or not, some aspects of the membership requirements make that very challenging.  This is just my 2 cents input, not a complaint and I hope no one takes it that way.

I may have never made it out to one of the organized volunteer days -  this doesn't mean I don't do my share out there, everytime I leave the FSR, I come out with bags of garbage, I also organize formalized volunteer annual litter picks on both roads and rivers here in the community where I live (for more than 10 years now).  I get an annual paid volunteer day, and this spring I will be using it with a CJA event for a change of pace (and I would like to do a test run before Moab and it only seems fair to give a day back to join an organized ride this spring),  I am also a very active fly angler, and most of my volunteering is spent within that activity, but as far as I am concerned the two activites are very closely tied together - I built my jeep specifically for flyfishing exploration, so for me, they go hand in hand - don't all of our issues tie back to access in both activities ?) - I take alot of abuse on flyfishing forums for consistently defending 4x4ing, often citing myself, and clubs such as the CJA and AURS, as strongly working to effect a cultural shift within the the 4x4 community towards environmental stewardship.  This requirement is not why I don't qualify for membership - I would have no problem redirecting some of my volunteer time towards the club activities, and to be honest, as a guy with 16 years varied experience in highway and road management and maintainence, in all aspects from running equipment to working as an areas operations supervisor, to building new roads in challenging terrains, resolving waterway connectivity issues, etc etc, I just might have something to contribute on some of your projects.  problem is that I don't want to have to endure working the next day after a meeting with 3 hours sleep, which is what I will have to do to be able to attend the regular evening meetings - (also, for the last three years the meeting conflicted with my On-call schedule so I couldn't leave Lake Louise anyway without a counterpart having to take my duty shift anyway). 

If I could still be a member, without the burden of attending meetings on weeknights, you would see me at a number of your weekend events, the fact that folks in my situation are excluded from membership for this reason, is a little frustrating and certainly demotivates me from directing my volunteer time towards the CJA knowing my particpation gains me nothing in the way of consideration for membership.

If there was some way to particpate in meetings on-line, or via proxy voting, or whatever, I would gladly tackle the other membership requirements with enthusiasm.   Maybe holding a couple meetings a year on weekends at the trailhead, or at a clean-up / repair event might open up opportunities for folks like me that really would love to particpate, but can't under the current rules - anyway just a couple thoughts on how membership could be boosted or at least a little more inclusive for us out-of town folks.

I certainly appreciate the connections I have made here and the site has been incredibly helpfull in my recent build but it still sux being an outsider and not really being able to do anything about it short of using my vacation days to attend meetings ( and I prefer to save those for operating my jeep, not talking about it) - such is life...
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
well..... 

we do offer activities and organized events for members and non-members alike.  I have been pushing for a separate coordinator for the "open / non-member / smaller" jeeps to bridge a gap that we have in regards to these 3 items, but, there has been a some negative feedback and rightfully so. 

we normally do not mind forgiving one aspect of membership if it is clear to us there is a reason.  if we meet you on some trail runs and a project or two, then we would be very forgiving about the meetings.  It should be looked into.  we have informal meetings at Peter's Drive-in so it should be possible to have one on a trail or on top of a mountain somewhere.

i like to think we have rules to protect us from bad apples, not to keep the good people out.

while having our meetings on a set date and time every month has a lot of benefits, it seems it has drawbacks.  much like the saturday wheeling schedule is difficult for quite a few people.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »
well..... 

we do offer activities and organized events for members and non-members alike.  I have been pushing for a separate coordinator for the "open / non-member / smaller" jeeps to bridge a gap that we have in regards to these 3 items, but, there has been a some negative feedback and rightfully so. 

we normally do not mind forgiving one aspect of membership if it is clear to us there is a reason.  if we meet you on some trail runs and a project or two, then we would be very forgiving about the meetings.  It should be looked into.  we have informal meetings at Peter's Drive-in so it should be possible to have one on a trail or on top of a mountain somewhere.

i like to think we have rules to protect us from bad apples, not to keep the good people out.

while having our meetings on a set date and time every month has a lot of benefits, it seems it has drawbacks.  much like the saturday wheeling schedule is difficult for quite a few people.

I think the members of the CJA that I have met are all good people, and in no way have I thought the members treated me unfairly because I am not a member.

That said, not many people work the monday-friday 9-5 jobs anymore, or if they do I dont know them.  I have wanted to get to a meeting to meet more ppl, learn more about the core values of the CJA, and go out on a run.  Just havent had time to get away...errr, check that, in some cases I have not made it a priority to get to a meeting but I did drop by a "peter's meet" that was setup by Rich, but that is just because I was passing by on the #2 on my way home from work. Maybe I dont deserve to be a member because in my work-life balance it isnt a high priority to get to a meeting.

Either way, I have to say this, I appreciate the CJA having a website where members and non members can login and BS/debate/pawn off their stuff.  I like everyone on this forum save for one member, but hey, you cant be liked by all and really you cant like everyone either.

Special props to JohnnyC, The Pook, SpecialK, and Hps4evr.  These guys are all members who were extremely great to bs with...forgive me if I am forgetting someone who I have met   :-[

At the end of the day, the CJA is seeming doing a good job of maintaining a positive atmosphere wherever the CJA hits the trails. 

Job well done CJA
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »
I hear you about the meetings, I live less than 4 minutes away from where they are held but I highly doubt I'll even be on time for one due to work (unless my site gets rained out).

At the same time no matter what you choose it will not work for someone somewhere.

I am sure that if you make the best of the times you can join in on CJA activities and you mesh well with the group exceptions will be made. As FiEND said the rules weren't mean to keep the deserving out, they are just some form of guidelines for weeding out the bad apples who can ruin everything.

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:47 AM »
ps, i'd love to see a writeup on the AEV kit Josh...... saw the AEV 6.1 today and was drooling over it.

Sorry JOhnnyC. I am a better wrencher than I am a photographer. Just ask my wife... I haven't taken a picture of my kids in a couple of years so I have never bothered with a build thread either.

Biscuit,

I too am an avid fly angler. I built my jeep to better access some remote fishing areas and with Overland Expeditions in mind. Let me know if you are ever interested in combining a wheeling/camping/fly fishing trip. I am always looking for a reason to combine the three activities and there are few people who have the patience to fly fish that enjoy jeeping as well.
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
Hey Josh - That sounds awesome.  We'll set up a couple trips like that for next summer - I love the area around Golden, some beauty alpine lakes, a bit of lift and lockers really get you to some nice rarely fished waters. I also really love the area north of Nordegg, it's remarkable how many people limit themselves to the Ram side. Seeing your truck in action would be a treat in itself too !

Its great to hear those all those positive and accomodating comments from the members / exec.  After so many years as a destination wheeler I guess I am evolving into someone who now wants to wheel, just for the fun of wheeling,  the recent mods added will, (and are still making) allow me to be a little less conservative and maybe push my jeep a little closer to it's limit - magazines and videos have been espousing the value of wheeling in groups and with a club, and to be honest the club I belong to right now has 4 members and I am the only 4x4 LOL ( a few of us locals set it up for discounts basically). After skulking around websites, magazines and on-line for 10 years we have decided the CJA really fits best with our personal philosophy and it is definately is the club we would like to be a part of.

Anyway after my post yesterday I asked the boss about shifting around some of my OT comp time to attend a meeting, that, combined with me shifting to an office position and not having an on-call requirement this winter, opens the door so I am hopefully going to be at the next meeting. (Although I may have a hard time leaving the parking lot and going inside with all your guys rigs sitting out there LOL.)

I guess the other factor is that we are going back to Moab again this year, after 11 years.  Like many folks, I am eagerly awaiting my reg package for the easter safari.  Last time we were there, we made some local friends, and even though we were there in the fall, the volume and quality of the jeeps around time was amazing - we committed, way back in 99, to make the mods that were suggested, and then return a little more capable and do some of the famous trails that were way too intimidating for a stocker.  I fully expect to either roll or break my jeep this time and also to start buildng a bigger and better machine (my current jeep has a sentimental value so I don't have the heart to fully hack it up) - I am actually going to make an offer on a TJ this week that will be my basis for a highly modified build (hopefully not taking ten years this time LOL) - I hoping to meet up, and maybe do some trails down there with other canadians too and I ssume there will be at least a couple CJA members going.

I guess all this just adds up to a good reason to join a club. R`
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
Someone has to say it. I usually stay out of these types of post because no one ever wants to hear the truth anyways.

4 wheelers that dont make an effort to affiliate themselves with a club are generally viewed as people that are either selfish/lazy, posers, or irresposible wheelers.

Selfish/lazy because they do not want to take the time or make the effort to actually participate in club activities such as volunteering and meetings. They just want to wheel, all that other crap is viewed as a waste of their time.

Posers. These are short timers that arent usually around for long anyways, and inside they know they really arent that commited to the hobby anyways. Those folks arent to be mistaken with stock advocates. Just because someone dosnt heavily mod their rig, doesnt make them a poser.

Irresponsible wheelers. These are the guys that know what clubs like the CJA, Stampeders, etc etc are all about and they dont agree with their values. They prefer to drink on the trail, rip donuts in feilds, bypass bridges, etc etc.

You will find, that 95% of the time, non affiliated wheelers will fall into these categories.

There is no reason this site should cater to non members any more then it already does. The site is already to good to many of them. Allowing people to use the site as a tech reference, begging forum, and buy sell site without ever offering anything in return.

Non members who are prospective members, alumni members, or affiliated with other clubs in no way fall under these categories, and should be treated with the same fairness and respect as active CJA members.

As for who anyone here likes of dislikes, who gives a crap. Like all organizations there are people that get along, and those that dont.

Like I tell everyone. Of 65 members theres going to be 10 people you really click with , 5 you cant stand, and 50 you are indifferent towards.

And its ok Paul. Due to your affinity for bullshit and tender ego, I really dont care for you either. I figured that was already understoond and didnt need to be put to paper, but since you seem so eager to make that clear, there you go.

Its clear
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
That's awesome Biscuit!, we hope to see you out at a meeting. I hope you and others understand that meetings (and other requirements) are just as much for the prospective member as they are for the CJA, even if they seem annoying or impossible at times. If our only goal was to increase membership, we would accept VISA online and post a representative outside every JEEP dealer in town. Making that attempt to switch around your calendar and get to a meeting shows volumes about your character! :)

These requirements provide both sides an opportunity to find out a lot about each other and putting in a little effort up front saves a lot of effort later on.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
i think Billy hit it the nail on the head...........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Agreed..well put,even if its not well taken by everyone

Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Justink

• Budget Lift
  • '89 comanche 5'' lift, 33's
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »
Selfish/lazy because they do not want to take the time or make the effort to actually participate in club activities such as volunteering and meetings. They just want to wheel, all that other crap is viewed as a waste of their time.
I disagree with this as I am a teenager trying to make it through highschool.  Due to this I do not have much money or time.  I live 2 hours away and just can't afford to drive as my paycheck barely covers my gas/ insurance as it is.  I don't think that because of this I should be stereotyped as "lazy"
'89 Comanche 5'' 33's, dana 44 playtoy
'91 cherokee 4.5'' 31's DD
'88 Nissan 300zx just for fun
If it seems like a good idea at the time it probably isn't!

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »

I may/may not fit in to this class.  Is there a "Too drunk and tired to participate" class?
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
I may/may not fit in to this class.  Is there a "Too drunk and tired to participate" class?
LOL
Jamie you rock!
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf