Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep of the Month  (Read 7869 times)

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
Jeep of the Month
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
Since when were we doing a Jeep of the month?

Is this something that will become a regular occurance? I really like the idea of showcasing peoples hard work and dedication to their jeeps. I like seeing everyones unique ideas and hearing about what works and doesn't. This is something that I follow on jeepforum.com every month but I would really like to see it open to all models of jeep. Calgary and southern Alberta have some of the best examples of modified jeeps I have seen.

I didn't see an area or post that was dedicated to a "Jeep of the Month." Have I missed it somewhere?
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Jeep of the Month
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »
Since when were we doing a Jeep of the month?

Is this something that will become a regular occurance? I really like the idea of showcasing peoples hard work and dedication to their jeeps. I like seeing everyones unique ideas and hearing about what works and doesn't. This is something that I follow on jeepforum.com every month but I would really like to see it open to all models of jeep. Calgary and southern Alberta have some of the best examples of modified jeeps I have seen.

I didn't see an area or post that was dedicated to a "Jeep of the Month." Have I missed it somewhere?

you are talking about the Buildup Section and Tech Talk.  only thing technical about the jeep of the month is the actual photo.  we want nice photos with jeeps to display.  don't matter if they are bone stock or 30 inch scissor lift.

As for being able to see the Jeep of the Month section, it is open to CJA Members only at this time..  Buildups might be Members only as well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:18:08 PM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
i like the idea..its nice to show off some of the better built rigs that make the CJA what the CJA used to be. Although if i want to see stock jeeps i can drive by a mall or a dealership...or a timmy's. Lets see some photo's of members who have put the blood sweat and curse words into making thier jeeps their own...adding a roof rack or a barage of walmart lights to a stock JK is not a mod.
Buildups might be Members only as well.
  Seems there are members that  think adding a K & N Oil filter during changes, or running E3 spark plugs are "build -ups" ....if its members only maybe the buildups should be moderated in some way.
just 2 pennies.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
coulda saved your pennies and read my post.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
it was read...i just thought i would throw in my two cents. Apparently not worth it, since im not a member.  Constructive criticism isnt allowed, only praise.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
wasn't constructive.  it went against everything i posted above.  if you want tech data, go to the tech data forums.  if you want a nice picture on our front page, get a camera.  so simple but god damn if people just can't just accept something for what it is.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
well i think its a great

i like it and i would love to have a pic of my jeep up on the jeep of the month .. so i know what to do get a sick pic of it fairly clean and flexed out on some huge rock and photoshop the crap out of it get some nice colors to it and shade this and fade that .. and make it all awesome like

then submit it and hope for the best .

props for DAC to being the first of many
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
hate to break your heart as you sound so enthusiastic, but...

[spoiler]members only[/spoiler]
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
I agree that it is a great idea...and nice to see...i just think there needs to be some tweaking done in some area's..i dont know how else to put it though, critical or not..i love the build up on Raf's XJ..thats a real build up.  If no one chimes in with critical comments on how to make things better, then how does it get done?

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:06:09 AM »
So I've got maybe a slightly excessive amount of camera gear (this is before I got my second camera and a crap ton MORE lenses)

So let me know if you ever have a jeep in mind and need some quality pictures.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
I agree that it is a great idea...and nice to see...i just think there needs to be some tweaking done in some area's..i dont know how else to put it though, critical or not..i love the build up on Raf's XJ..thats a real build up.  If no one chimes in with critical comments on how to make things better, then how does it get done?

Just because the "build ups" section of the CJA board doesn't look like PBB doesn't mean that it isn't what the members want it to be. The CJA is looking for people that own Jeeps and intened to wheel them. Beyond that, the criteria is that people wheel responsibly, and make a contribution to the CJA in terms of attending meetins, trail runs, and trail projects.

There's nothing in the membership criteria that says you need to have a stretched YJ Juggy running a Cummins 4BT with coilovers up fromt and evo struts in the rear to join.There's also nothing saying that you had to build that Juggy by yourself with nothing more than baling wire and duct tape. There are members here who have rigs that are still pretty much stock, but they've consistently worked hard at being a constructive part of the CJA over the years, and have made big contributions.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
Im more than framiliar with the criteria, and the efforts put forth by members,even if they run a stock rig..i commend those getting involved. Read my post,i never once mentioned member criteria..Is there any reason this is a pissing contest?  No one said buildups had to be full-on hardcore trailer rig buildups..but do you want to see how to change the plugs and diff oil going on 4 pages?  It doesnt have to rival Pirate4x4, but my suggestion was that buildups be more than your basic tune up with pics. There is alot of cool stuff that members have done to make thier jeeps unique, its nice to see that showcased.

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion, apeman. Every suggestion will be evaluated however at this time, I'm sure you understand that it will have to remain just that, a suggestion. Any and all suggestions require time as this website is built and maintained by volunteers who do not have the time or resources to maintain it like a full-time position.
In regards to reading 4 pages of a plug and diff oil change, please note that you have a choice, and may choose to stop reading a post you do not like, or perhaps disagree with at any time; even if the post is like a bad accident you can't look away from. If you wish to take a more active role in the decisions and direction of the CJA, may I suggest becoming a member again.
Many of us who have wheeled stock Jeeps realize a Jeep does not need to be built to be a success on the trail. And every Jeep that is built started somewhere, even if it's with an upgraded filter. I'm sure that's where the perceived 'pissing contest' comes from, as people try to explain it in their own way. I hope my explanation is a little milder.
May I suggest focusing more on the posts and build ups you enjoy or are interested in and merely avoid the posts or sections you consider to need improvement. I apologize if I seem to be adding to the 'pissing contest', as that was not my intention. Have a great day :)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:40:24 AM »

Yes! Yes! Now thats how you Debate!

No seriously, your answer was clear and i see where you are coming from. And most of all where our input is going.  And thanks to everyone who does the hard work in keeping this circus up and running!  I may even want to look at re-newing my membership in the new year and help with making the changes the CJA deems worthwhile for the greater cause.

Good work.