Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: best all purpose tire for Alberta wheeling  (Read 10704 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: best all purpose tire for Alberta wheeling
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »
True, my D rated ones flex alright.  What pressure do you take yours down to?  Ever worried about popping a bead?

I would have thought they would be good for quiet? ???

I've recently gone from running them at 11 psi on the trail down to 9 psi - so far so good. It did definitely make a difference in flex. I've got a ratchet strap picked out special for when I do pop a bead, but it hasn't happened yet.

As far as quiet goes...well, mine are 35" MT's. I don't have any complaints about the noise level, but they definitely make more noise than street tires.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 07:23:26 PM »
I prefer mtz's over toyo's but they probably won't quite last as long as a toyo. The STTs are just about the same as a toyo but at a better price. ProC X terrains are great in snow but  horrible on ice. I'd like to try a set of maxxis trepadors out,  after the bighorns are done, but that should be in more than a year hopefully closer to 2. I'm not a fan of Bfgs, the ATs chunk to easily and the MTs have no siping (but I have not tried a set of KM2 out). To call one one specific tire for all of Alberta is impossible, to many different terrains and it depends on the vehicle and the driver.

That's my 2 cents
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
I agree with you on the IROKs. Just make sure to get the Bias Ply ones. I'm on my second set and have some wicked gouges in them already from Moab. Incidentally I tried a set of 37" radial Iroks and slashed two tires on the same run just 20 feet apart! Won't make that mistake again.

Also been impressed with Truxus MTs. Have a set of 33s on my Dad's XJ and Gunther runs them on his CJ. Seem to be almost as good as the Irok but a bit more road friendly. Again stay away from the radials or you'll be taking out sidewalls. That being said bias plies don't work well for a DD so if you street drive it a lot look for something else entirely.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
this post is about Toyo, not BFG or Goodyear

Joel, I think you've hit the nail on the head - I would be surprised if a Toyo MT (or any other MT) was able to keep up with an Irok or other swamper type tire in the mud.

back on the toyo topic....

i had superswampers before for 2 summer seasons.  i've run toyos now for 2 summer seasons.  i find them about equal in mud.  fisher east was like a sunday drive.  i do prefer more air for clearance but that doesn't slow the toyos down much.

nathan and I did a mini competition last winter in some deep fresh snow, toyo vs iroc.  i was aired down more than him but i was also sitting lower in the deep snow.  was quite fun but in the end i tugged him out :p

damn i wish it would snow soon.

no, they aren't as quiet as my bfg at's were, but they are way quieter than any other m/t tires i have driven or rode with.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
I have the Firestone Destination M/T. For $230 installed and balanced with very minimal road noise I'll stick with those! Seem to get decent flex, clean out half decent and has taken my 2.5L open/open everywhere I asked on Fisher West. Cept for maybe up that edge in that one hole but that I think had more to do with my bumper hitting before my tires ;D

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
It comes down to compound. Rod Hoy tried to comp a set of SST in red deer once. They were one of the worst compounds I've ever seen.

People think its all tread, but that simply isnt true.

The toyo has a fairly soft compound. Thats what sets it apart from most other radials.

Iroks are a cheap tire that do half decent in everything but the road, and have weak sidewalls that fold to easy. The only reason they fit up here is because they do good in the winter stuff.

My opinion is why bother with a poor quality tire that just tears up your front end when you can get the same performance out of a quality radial like a toyo. Unless your rig is trailored, or your size application restricts your to them.

Trxus are just junk period. Poorly maded, balancing issues, very weak sidewalls, and mediocre offroad performance. BFG's are old tech, and considerably lower offroad performance than other radials on the market today.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Question for you Bill - since the Toyos have a softer compound, why do they still wear relatively well those of us that are covering plenty of road miles? Or in the oilfield applications?

I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just want to understand.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
It comes down to compound. Rod Hoy tried to comp a set of SST in red deer once. They were one of the worst compounds I've ever seen.

People think its all tread, but that simply isnt true.

tire that do half decent in everything but the road, and have weak sidewalls that fold to easy. The only reason they fit up here is because they do good in the winter stuff.
The toyo has a fairly soft compound. Thats what sets it apart from most other radials.

Dumb question, in what way is the compound used for the STT's bad?  They don't seem to take a whole lot to balance, are not too expensive, seem to work ok in the winter.  I never planned on running them too hard so chunking hasn't been an issue.  They are quiet.

Saying that, the Toyo's were my first choice when I was looking but decided against them at the time.  If I remember correctly the STT's were about 58 pounds per tire compared to the Toyo's 68 in the size I was looking at.  Might have more to do with Load range D vs E though.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
i ran 37x12.50 MTR's on my Jeep. Than i put on 37x14.50 Toyo OC MT's...no comparison. Toyo flat outperformed on every possible off and on road application.
i just put Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35x12.50 on my Ram 2500. They are made by Toyo. i think they will be better than the Toyo oc mt.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
The sst couldn't hold traction rocks like the toyos and mtrs did.

Rob couldn't even get on the course at one point, their traction was so bad. Even TSLs were doing better.

That said, if someone doesn't do rocks the sst should last longer due to its stiffer compound.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »
I really love my 37"/13.5 bias ply PitBull Rockers at 4lbs.... I don't like mud and love winter wheeling... I have 35"/12.5" BFG AT for the winter (with chains sometimes) but this year I'm keeping the Pitt Bull for the winter ...I tried them a bit before in the snow and I loved them. You need to run them at low pressure.

My next tires are Billy's old  38" toyos... I tried Bonnie's 33" on slippery/snow/ ice and was very pleased also. They are VERY heavy though. I think her 33"/13.5 /C rating with alu rims and Stauns are heavier then my BFG AT on steallies  ::)... It is what it is... The 38" will do well with the one tons  8)

If I would have bought new... I would have went with a Pit Bull Rockers again bigger though because they measure at least 1 to 2" smaller then their measurement. My 37" on my Jeep are similar size  then Joel 35" krawlers.  :o

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:40:53 AM by SwampSinger »

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
dom has always done well with his pitbulls and skill is part of it, they fill most holes so he doesn't worry much.

as for tread life.  well softer doesn't mean bad.  the jeeps are very light for these big tires so put little pressure on the whole of the tire and that helps quite a bit.  a main cause of tread wear is the road itself, and what it is made out of.  ever drive on a newly paved road and then it ends and the road noise from the old pavement is quite loud till you get used to it again?

another thing is heat.  we don't drive overly fast or corner like crazy.  i am open open when on the road so i don't wear on corners like non selectable lockers do.

there are many factors.  the toyos i just gave to Billy were at 95% (measured against a new tire at Nathans) and had about 5000km and maybe 10 trail runs.  they would have lasted me quite a few years.  Joels tires on the other hand will last till armageddon.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »
Joel has the BFG Krawlers? how do they perform in mud? i've read they were mostly designed for rocks, and I too perfer to bypass the mud holes, but sometimes there is no way around.

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
Joel has the BFG Krawlers? how do they perform in mud? i've read they were mostly designed for rocks, and I too perfer to bypass the mud holes, but sometimes there is no way around.

I would say the krawlers perform just about the same as Toyo's on mud. You need to run them at very low, 5-8psi to get the best traction as they really suck anything above 10psi.  My krawlers are also sipped, so they perform exceptionally well on snow and ice.  

Surprisingly, they have worn very well, just over 5years, I would guess they are about 75%.  Oh and don't feel too bad Dom, my 35's actually stand taller then a 37 Irok's, and slightly smaller then 38 Toyo.   8)

Regardless of the tire, it's also important to understand how your tire will perform under different terrain/condition.  Ie, on snow covered hills, my tires will actually gain more traction if I let off on the throttle and let the lugs/sipes bite.   On muddy sections, I'll stay closer to one side so my side walls assist forward momentum. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:53:17 AM by Joel »
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »

Iroks are a cheap tire that do half decent in everything but the road, and have weak sidewalls that fold to easy. The only reason they fit up here is because they do good in the winter stuff.

Trxus are just junk period. Poorly maded, balancing issues, very weak sidewalls, and mediocre offroad performance. BFG's are old tech, and considerably lower offroad performance than other radials on the market today.

You must have been running the radial Iroks and Truxus. If you took a look at my biasply Iroks and Gunthers or my dad's Truxus I think you might change your opinion. Both sets of my Iroks and 2 sets of Gunthers Truxus have been brutalized in Moab and neither of us have had a sidewall puncture. Heck I have to air down to below 10psi to even see a bulge in the bottom of the tire.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:37:03 PM by cLAY »

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles