Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: best all purpose tire for Alberta wheeling  (Read 10703 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
best all purpose tire for Alberta wheeling
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
i'm pretty sick of hearing how great toyos are ;)

i ran iroks, and i missed them.  they were a terrific alberta tire. great in the snow/ice, ok in the mud (much better than mud terrains)  and were, well, terrible on the street.

so whats the best tire for Alberta wheeling?

i run pro comp mts. they aren't great but have been ok.  for what i paid for them tho, i can't complain at all.  i still think the iroks are great, and if they made them in a 15" rim 35" tall i'd be all over it.....................

i guess what i'm getting at, is what makes a toyo so much better than other MTs? like a BFG, a Cooper Mt, an MTZ?????????? they seem to be all the rage. i just don't get it.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: best all purpose tire for Alberta wheeling
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
you probably never will.  if you are close minded about something, well, nothing will change your mind.

i don't hear you sick of people saying how good lockers are or how good beadlocks are....

what's the difference?  there are high end items that work better than anything else.

lockers, beadlocks, winches, toyos... etc.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
It's their weight and mystical properties.  Like adding calcium chloride it lowers your centre of gravity and adds a touch of magic at the same time........
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »

what's the difference?  there are high end items that work better than anything else.

?

thats debatable........... and close minded in itself. just cause it costs more doesn't make it better.....

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
?

thats debatable........... and close minded in itself. just cause it costs more doesn't make it better.....

They weigh a bit better than 10 pounds more than the coopers and have the same tread pattern.  For what most do it doesn't seem worth it.

As for lockers, as I recall the last time I went out with my open front and ls rear the guys with lockers got stuck in all the same holes I did.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
just cause it is high end, doesn't mean it costs more.  i am talking high quality, not high priced.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
just cause it is high end, doesn't mean it costs more.  i am talking high quality, not high priced.

For the right price I agree, they are a good tire.  But considering the weight of a jeep how well do the sidewalls flex?  Are they not designed for a 1 ton truck and built heavier?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »
i dont' mean to be closed minded Al. i'm just curious why everyone seems to be getting them is all.  when i was shopping around for tires, if they weren't 1600 for 4 tires i'd have considered it.

anyways, back to the topic.
i still think an iroc swamper is hands down the better offroad tire..........  i can't wait to run them again........

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
I've got no complaints at all on my BFG MT's. Ive had a few sets with no issues, except for some chunking but thats probably from cut fenders, rocks and hard wheelin'... 8) They are great on the trail, barely any road noise and are decent in the winter. (gotta be in 4x if its slick, but I dont know what tire would get you up and going on ice anyways). They aren't siped, but still work great IMO.
I ran those superswamper TSL's and they wheeled well, but were looooooud on the road.

What's a toyo?

:-X

'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
I think it depends on your style of wheeling.  I've been on enough runs with guy's running Iroks/Toyo's, and from what I've seen:

Iroks excel in mud, lose gravel, and surprisingly they kick arse on lose & hard packed snow.
Toyo's, they're great in snow, lose gravel and rocks, not so great in mud.  But if you try and avoid mud as much as possible, you can't go wrong with toyo's. 

Fiend was able to followed my around, climbing steep steep hills with over a foot of snow.  He was Open/Open, I was locked and chained, mind you I was breaking trail.  But the fact that he was able to walk up on those steep hills, was amazing.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »
how are toyos muds on a dd?
reasonable on ice?  noisy? wear fast, not so fast?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
For the right price I agree, they are a good tire.  But considering the weight of a jeep how well do the sidewalls flex?  Are they not designed for a 1 ton truck and built heavier?

Some of the Toyo's are E rated (mine are). Some are C or D rater (Tubby's are). Even with the E rated sidewalls, it's just a matter of picking the right pressure - both on and off road. If you look at the vid link I posted in the "member's trail reports" section, you can see that even an E rated sidewall will flex appropriately if the pressure is right.

As far as Toyo MT's on a DD, I love 'em. After almost 20,000 km they're wearing evenly, lasting well, and behave themselves on the road. They're not quiet, but they certainly don't sound like a set of TSL's coming down the road. I've never driven them on the ice, but the guys that have run 'em on ice tell me that they're okay. Not great, but not scary either. I'd imagine that you could make a big improvement in their ice performance by siping them. $30 per tire at Kalt tire Chinook  :)

Joel, I think you've hit the nail on the head - I would be surprised if a Toyo MT (or any other MT) was able to keep up with an Irok or other swamper type tire in the mud.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
i've run pro comps mt's before, they were good in the mud, but i did not care for them in the snow that much or on the pavement, especialy driving on packed snow around town. so i down sized from 32's to 31's and bought the canadian tire goodyear wrangler territories. I wish they came in 35's. this tire is awesome if you want to run 31's. it is a winter compound, its great on the rocks and awesome in the snow and ice, and its good in the mud, i was surprised the traction this tire provides, feels much nicer than my pro comps i had, just too bad they are only avaliable in 31's otherwise that would be my tire of choice in a 35" package. did i mention they are great on the pavement too and quiet.

for next summer i'm hoping to upgrade to the 36" iroks. for the winter FC-II's will have to do.

what about the dick cepek mud country's anyone tried those? or maybe the Goodyear MT/R kevlar?

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »
you can see that even an E rated sidewall will flex appropriately if the pressure is right.

They're not quiet

True, my D rated ones flex alright.  What pressure do you take yours down to?  Ever worried about popping a bead?

I would have thought they would be good for quiet? ???

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
I've had great luck with BFG AT KO's and Goodyear MTR's.
Neither ones the best in mud but are excellent in all other conditions, on and offroad.
The BFG's are nice and light which really helps with gas mileage and is easy on drivetrain components.
Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title