Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Driveway Bylaw Question  (Read 14219 times)

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
Re: Driveway Bylaw Question
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Yeah....I let it slide cause it was family, but no more! Especially after someone hit the iron handrail on the stairs. That and I'm getting tired of dealing with dead grass in the spring. Funny, because no one tries it during the summer.

I've got some 3/8" steel driveway markers that I'm just going to put on the corners of the driveway, and move the car into the middle of it. In the spring, I'll be getting a good sized rock that stands 3' high to put a stop to this permanently.

If people bitch....too bad. I've already vented on the entire family and they're not happy but no one wants to own up to doing it.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
Edited:
Yeah....I let it slide cause it was family, but no more!

I'll be getting a good sized rock that stands 3' high to put a stop to this permanently.
Ah yes, a headstone on either side. It can be re-used for it's original purpose when someone owns up to doing it!

Get it engraved "You park here, You die!"
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »
You mentioned you live next to this 'couple'. Maybe try the wife factor. Explain to his wife that having the vehicle parked so close blocks the view of on-coming traffic and is dangerous, making your wife feel uncomfortable and puts your family at risk. She probably has more pull with him than you do. And is probably a little less hot under the collar about your Dad's parking job.
If she snubs you too, then I'd go on to explain, as previously mentioned, that while city streets are public property, and her husband does have a right to park there, he has to respect the 5 m rule (maybe at this point offer to put up a marker if it would make it easier for him because of the size of the vehicle), and you would hate to have to involve the city to make it a safe place for your family, since anytime you have to involve the city it results in fines, which wouldn't really make for good neighbour relations, now would it?

Good Luck with whatever path you choose.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Go over with big glass of red wine...  that seems to be a hit with ladies on our cul-de-sac  ;)   
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
Go over with big glass of red wine...  that seems to be a hit with ladies on our cul-de-sac  ;)   

And you call me a man-whore!!!! Pot, meet Kettle....
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline wired

• Stocker
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
I have a neighbor who was blocking my driveway for quite a while. He was doing reno's on his house, so I gave him some time to get the big dumpster out of his driveway. Even when the dumpster was gone, he kept blocking the driveway.
One day I asked him to please move his car a bit, my wife may accidentally hit the car when she goes to work. The guy asks me if I'm for real, and I say yes.... he then proceeds to call me an a#@hole. Never talks to me anymore (not a bad thing), and does not block the driveway either.
Pi@#ed him off good, but no more problems leaving the driveway.

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
More fun things to do to a$$h0le$ who park like loosers.  Wait till its cold and get a squirt bottle full of apple juice just start spraying on his windows, and then put some shoe prints on his hood.  Or get a siringe full of water in the door locks.  Bucket full of water allover the tires but first make a snow dam to hold the water in.  Or you can move and replace all his wheel weight, zip tie to something that spins.  Seafood juice in the fresh air vents.  Most of these wont help with him parkiing like a looser but at least you will have fun.

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
the "Poo-handle" could work too if you're really mad. . . grab a steaming pile of  (insert mammal here) poo, and wipe it under his door handles. Clean off the exterior evidence. When Mr. X goes to sind his hands under his door handles he will feel a nice surprise. Make sure this is done when it is warm so the brown stuff is soft enough to get under his finger nails. Nasty!
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
Vaseline on the wipers works good too.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
Vaseline on the wipers works good too.

now that could just be unsafe, funny, but not nice if he is driving and cant see
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
Zip tie + driveshaft.

Dingman

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Print off the by-law sheet (lots of them) place them all over his truck (facing inward on the windows) the give his truck a good hosing when the temp is below freezing......

he should get the point!
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
Unfortunately if your neighbor is a big time douche bag then no matter what you do to him, he'll probably think of something worse to do to you.....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
  • I drive a Liberty. No. I am not a woman.
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »

I'm making some progress with this one I think? I left the note with bylaw info in his mailbox and asked as nicely as I can in the letter if he can just give me some space. The note also has an invite to a bbq at my place and that he and his wife are invited over for dinner when they are available. I hoped to speak to him in person but he doesn't answer his door even though I can hear the tv on. The truck didn't move for a week and was still less than a foot from my driveway. I put a little wooden stake that had flagger orange paint on it and marked off where he should be parking his truck. I came home on sunday to find the stake broken in little pieces and left in my driveway. My course of action was to wait till he went to work yesterday morning and I piled a bunch of snow at the entrance to my driveway. I got three buckets of water and pored it on the pile. I noticed this morning that he parked a few feet from the snow pile. I know that I'm just buying myself time and that the snow will melt. The city has my complaint on file and I'll see what happens.
My grandma hasn't been helping me out as much as she used to

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
Some people just don't have what it takes (honour, integrity, backbone, self-control, b*lls) to keep the agreements that they make every time they *CHOOSE* to take advantage of the *PRIVILEGE* of operating a motor vehicle and *CHOOSE* to climb behind the wheel. If he is that arrogant, self-centered and egotistical when he parks, imagine what he's like when he's actually moving!

Also consider the implications if impulse and convenience can push him into choosing to break the law on a regular basis... that's pretty weak.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC