Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Driveway Bylaw Question  (Read 14220 times)

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
  • I drive a Liberty. No. I am not a woman.
Driveway Bylaw Question
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
Need a little help here ladies and gents. I've got a problem up here in Huntington with my neighbour and his parking too close to my driveway. Does anyone know how far a vehicle has to be parked next to the opening of your driveway? I've asked politely on numerous occasions for the neighbour to keep a few feet from my driveway with his huge truck. It's about a foot away from the entrance or less. I kinow that snow makes it a tad bit hard for him to see but c'mon! I can barely get into my narrow driveway or back out of it without coming too close to his front bumper. It's one giant blindspot for me. I've tried calling the city but have had no luck getting a bylaw officer to come by. My wife and I have asked about ten times for him to keep a few feet away but he just mumbles and shrugs his shoulders. He slammed the door on my wife today and I'm gettin fumed right now. Any suggestions?
My grandma hasn't been helping me out as much as she used to

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
Re: Driveway Bylaw Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/41M2002.pdf

look under 3) Prohibitations.
g)  within 1.5m of an access to a garage, private road or driveway, or a vehicle crossway over a sidewalk.

so it should be roughtly 5 feet ftom the entrance of your driveway.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/41M2002.pdf

look under 3) Prohibitations.
g)  within 1.5m of an access to a garage, private road or driveway, or a vehicle crossway over a sidewalk.

so it should be roughtly 5 feet ftom the entrance of your driveway.

Yup

And when you call the city don't ask for a bylaw officer to come out.

Call 311 and tell them you want to report a by-law offence and which one it is, they will take down all the information and provide you with an incident number.  They will send out a notification to the person and they will have a time to comply - usually 10 days from post of the notice.  If he doesn't comply you call back with the incident number and by-law will send by an officer to either suggest more firmly or to give him a ticket or summons.

Just remember that he will know it was you so there is a that nice uncomfortable issue going forward.

But if you have done the nice neighbourly thing and he doesn't listen then to hell with him
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
One of my favorites is park right behind of him almost touching his bumper and right in front of him so your almost touching his bumper. So now he can't get out. And now call in sick for 2 days, or get your friend to pick you up and drive you to work. It's harder for him to explain why he's not at work. Or borrow all his shredder valves from his tires, do so at your own risk

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

Just remember that he will know it was you so there is a that nice uncomfortable issue going forward.

T-BOAN... I tip my hat to you for your patience.

I'm so happy I do not have neighbours like that. If I did and they were ignorant enough to slam the door on my wife... I would go out of my way to make sure the neighbour would know that he/she was getting a fine because of my complaint.

be smart about it... Get an incident number and play the game.

good luck!

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »
And when you call the city don't ask for a bylaw officer to come out.

Call 311 and tell them you want to report a by-law offence and which one it is, they will take down all the information and provide you with an incident number.  They will send out a notification to the person and they will have a time to comply - usually 10 days from post of the notice.  If he doesn't comply you call back with the incident number and by-law will send by an officer to either suggest more firmly or to give him a ticket or summons.

But if you have done the nice neighbourly thing and he doesn't listen then to hell with him

That's odd that nobody would come out. When my neighbors didn't comply when requested, I called parking control directly and they came right out to issue tickets and even offered to have the vehicle towed.  You can be redirected to parking control from the 311 menu or have their # direct in contacts like I ended up doing.  Granted, the suggested way would give them another level of opportunity to be less self-centered.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
That's odd that nobody would come out. When my neighbors didn't comply when requested, I called parking control directly and they came right out to issue tickets and even offered to have the vehicle towed.  You can be redirected to parking control from the 311 menu or have their # direct in contacts like I ended up doing.  Granted, the suggested way would give them another level of opportunity to be less self-centered.

Maybe dependant on who you get on the phone and what mood they are in??  I was informed of my incident number and that they would receive notification in the mail.  They never gave me an option to talk to parking control............although I didn't ask either.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline GreenMachine

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »
One of my favorites is park right behind of him almost touching his bumper and right in front of him so your almost touching his bumper. So now he can't get out. And now call in sick for 2 days, or get your friend to pick you up and drive you to work. It's harder for him to explain why he's not at work. Or borrow all his shredder valves from his tires, do so at your own risk

I would suggest trying this a few times before pissing on your neighbors door step,
If hes a hard neighbor to get along with. dont get him fined, or the next time you are out of line, hes just going to call and try to slap you with a fine back.

its alot easier to just park him in instead of deal with him once hes had a fine,

I have old neighbors that are a bit of a stick in the mud, but I shovel their snow. And i have had some pretty loud partys, and no one has ever said anything about the noise, its better to be nice to the neighbor even if you dont see eye to eye.
03 Tj Lifted 2.5" - Light Bar - 31's - Rock Sliders - Full Edge Jammer Trail Kit

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »
I have old neighbors that are a bit of a stick in the mud, but I shovel their snow. And i have had some pretty loud partys, and no one has ever said anything about the noise, its better to be nice to the neighbor even if you dont see eye to eye.

If they're old, they probably just haven't reported you because they're kinda deaf.  ;D

All kidding aside, this is a very good point. If you're the guys that shovels their snow all the time, you can just about guarantee that you've earned enough brownie points to cover a wide variety of neighbourly transgressions.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »
I would likely try and talk to him one more time  and let him know that the by-law is about 5 feet and that you are only asking for 2-3 or whatever you are asking for, and that you don't want to call the by-law guys because you want to be good neighbours but if he keeps on doing it you will be forced to call them out and it will be in the hands of the by-law officers at that point. that way you are showing him that you don't want to be a jerk unless he makes you, maybe take some cookies and say that you got off on the wrong foot and want to be friendly about things because you live next to each other and it would make things much easier.

I think taking the high road is better.  who knows, it might make you good friends that can hang out and shoot the poop and work on vehicles together.

good luck
steve
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »

I would suggest trying this a few times before pissing on your neighbors door step,
If hes a hard neighbor to get along with. dont get him fined, or the next time you are out of line, hes just going to call and try to slap you with a fine back.

its alot easier to just park him in instead of deal with him once hes had a fine,

Indeed, I for one didn't go directly to tickets, though most of my problems are with visitors whom I didn't usually manage to "catch" to talk to. I considered how it would affect my relationship with my neighbor(s) and considered that, like the lady across the street, they could phone regularly and make people's life more complicated.

I talked to the neighbors  many times, I asked them to move many times and for the most part we get along and we all overlook other things.  There were the cases where someone parked directly behind our vehicles, blocking both of them in and it wasn't the next-door neighbors' visitors...  turned out they were at the party down the street, coming back impaired to their vehicle to drive.. in retrospect, I wish it had been towed, but it *still* took him a block to see the ticket flapping under his wiper (he woke us up when he came to his truck to come home) and seemed quite mad... what do you expect when you block ALL of someone's vehicles in for hours while you are at a party????

I just don't understand what, if anything, is going through these people's head when they block driveways, especially if there is open parking across the street.

Hmm I didn't even know about the warning stuff, I'll have to remember that...
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline after6queers

• BANNED
  • Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:58:40 PM »
I have a school right in front of my garage and have had a couple of instances of very disrespectful parents who figured I will just be in the school for a bit and parked right out in front of my driveway! On two occasions I called Calary Parking Authority and one time they took 20 mins the next time they were here in like 5 minutes. I think both times it was a $37 fine...which was just enough for the inconvenience of not being able to use my garage! I was told if the vehicle was still there in a half hour, I could have it towed, but even if they were there I would not have used that option. One thing to give a mom or a dad a ticket for being disrespectful completely different to leave the parents and the kids worrying about how they are getting home.
They were both completely blocking the driveway but the guy said as long as your driveway is clear and easy to identify where it ends then they can issue tickets!
However if it were a neighbor, I would try to talk to them and mention the fact that if it continues you will have no other choice but to call the city.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Oh yeah Calgary Parking Authority # (403) 537-7000
2001 Jeep TJ - 4" Lift 35's MTZ Chanda made bumpers, fenders and sliders...still working on her!!!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »
neighbour had a problem with something similar to this; he put a rock on the corner of his drive to stop neighbour from driving over grass... neighbour ripped off bumper on rock....

my solution?  get snow blower, or offer beer to friends.  shovel snow onto road at foot of driveway, about 3 feet from over from drive. start showeling  and pile it high;  maybe about as high as the trucks headlights. pat it down;  pour water on it.  ice it over. add more snow.  make it an immovable object.  like a true pain in the a$$  blame city for 'finally' plowing snow, and piling it onto your lawn ;)

remember to 'water' it and ice it over so he can't just drive over it............

when neighbour wrecks bumper on snow, you can both call and complain to the city about the lack of snow removal..... by april, hopefully neighbour has gotten used to parking 'correctly'

its kind of like training a puppy.......... i would also suggest a boulder, but this would be more fun ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
neighbour had a problem with something similar to this; he put a rock on the corner of his drive to stop neighbour from driving over grass... neighbour ripped off bumper on rock....

my solution?  get snow blower, or offer beer to friends.  shovel snow onto road at foot of driveway, about 3 feet from over from drive. start showeling  and pile it high;  maybe about as high as the trucks headlights. pat it down;  pour water on it.  ice it over. add more snow.  make it an immovable object.  like a true pain in the a$$  blame city for 'finally' plowing snow, and piling it onto your lawn ;)

remember to 'water' it and ice it over so he can't just drive over it............

when neighbour wrecks bumper on snow, you can both call and complain to the city about the lack of snow removal..... by april, hopefully neighbour has gotten used to parking 'correctly'

its kind of like training a puppy.......... i would also suggest a boulder, but this would be more fun ;)

i like this idea.
Do you have another vehicle that you can park there leaving you lots of room. i was thinking a permanently parked vehicle.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »

Great idea Johnny!!  Or try taking a 1" pipe & drive it into the asphalt at the 1.5m mark, wrap it with blaze orange marking tape, attach a copy of the by-law. :o  Ask by-law enforcement for one of their signs & put it up, that way there is a daily reminder.