Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Where Do you Shop for Tires?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
Where Do you Shop for Tires?
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
Hi everybody, A new lift is just around the corner for my JK and it will make it look like a skateboard. ( not good )  My question to you is, Where do you gentlemen go buy your tires ( im looking for Toyo Open COuntry 35's) I checked the decent places such as Tire Rack & Discount tire but no luck on those. Anybody?

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
Re: Where Do you Shop for Tires?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
country tire service in westwinds in the NE.

toyo's are not a cheap tire, but they have good service and will go outside the reccomended specs for the tire if you want them to.

tell them steve from costco sent you, may get a little bit of a deal, maybe ;)
403-590-1521.

97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »
Jay @ Chanda I believe can get in Toyos too, should look him up.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
Jay @ Chanda I believe can get in Toyos too, should look him up.

+1 on jay. He will quote you a fair price. Just remember that Toyos are never cheap :)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
Either the TOyos or the Mtr's Kevlars

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »
i got a guy in edmonton that gives me pretty decent deals
locked and loaded

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
For what size wheel are you looking for?  Also Mud Terrain or All Terrain?

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
For what size wheel are you looking for?  Also Mud Terrain or All Terrain?

either my 18" stock saharas or 17" procomp 7028 .    Mud &  All terrain, Depending on pricing and such however I love the way the Toyos look.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
That's some expensive "looking good"

What you're being asked is if you want an All terrain tire which works well for on road and it's performance suffers in the mud, or a Mud-terrain tire which will be noisier on the road and generally won't provide good winter on-road performance. You will need to make a decision on this before anyone can help you out.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
For 90% of people on this forum, and certainly for anybody going for looks, a mud terrain is really the only choice. Unless you buy some  extremely gnarly mud terrains the extra noise is negligible. Just read reviews on whatever tire you choose, so you don't get suprised.

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
For 90% of people on this forum, and certainly for anybody going for looks, a mud terrain is really the only choice. Unless you buy some  extremely gnarly mud terrains the extra noise is negligible. Just read reviews on whatever tire you choose, so you don't get suprised.

Yes,  Dont get me wrong guys, I LOVE offroading and Im not just a mall crawler. However I do expect to drive on these tires on the street/highway. This is my first jeep and I want to do it right the first time. Even the stock dueler tires on my sahara wheels did fine when I went to Mclean Creek, but since I'm doing an OME LT lift I might as well throw on some of those big bad boys and I can join the 35" club!  I guess the right question to ask here is  what kind of tires do you gentlemen preffer to use? ( both offroad & on road)

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
my top pick is the Toyo open country MT's I run them year round and love them. As far as road noise you don't even know they are mud tires . Great tire in all round .
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »
my top pick is the Toyo open country MT's I run them year round and love them. As far as road noise you don't even know they are mud tires . Great tire in all round .
i agree.
But now that i have Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on my truck, i would rawk those on a jeep.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
I might as well throw on some of those big bad boys and I can join the 35" club! 

Now I have only just been out for my first run this past weekend, so I really don't know a lot about it, but the more that I am reading on tires/wheels and the rolling weight of them, the more I am questioning the need for 35" tires.  Especially with the JK where unless you have a Rubi, it is almost a given that you will need to re-gear.

So I guess my question (sorry to hijack your thread a little 1stjeep) is, what really is the benefit of upgrading to a 35" vs sticking with a 32/33" size?

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
The best advice I have got since you a running a 17 or 18 and doing lots of city driving like myself....

1.  Try and go with a skinny tire if you are driving onthe road lots, maybe something that comes out to 35x11.2 or whatever I don't really know the size options available, This will make road handling, mpg, and wear on components noticably less
2. Get a lighter tire, I here toyo's are great but heavy

As for the brand, I would say any big name Goodyear MTR, BFG KM2, and many other big names will have comparable tires. Really whatever you can get a deal on or like the most

Best site I have found for comparing tires

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Goodyear-Wrangler-MTR.htm

All the different tires in the lefthand colum, just click and you have acess to dozens of reviews in differing condtions