Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: TJ top end tick  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
TJ top end tick
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
Mines an 04 about 50k on the clock. I have developed what I believe is a top end tick in the motor. It sounds like a sticky lifter but louder and constant. It matches the revs and is audible in the cab espeacilly when using the tranny to slow the jeep down. Now, by no means should my engine have this issue at 50k. I put about 13k on the jeep per year and change the oil twice a year with Amsoil full synthetic they guarentee it for 1 year or 25k. It is comparable to this noise, which sounds like a camshaft/ lifter issue I guess. Only other relavent info is the fact that the oil pressure takes a solid 7-10 seconds to get to its final resting spot cm over the halfway mark or so which is normal. Jeep makes this noise 24/7 hot cold doesn't matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MpjdFKD1gI&feature=related

I'm looking for some thoughts or opinions on the issue as I have very limited experience with engine troubles.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:25:48 PM by Jrama »

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
Re: TJ top end tick
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »
Yep. Lifter tick...
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Dumb question, did you check your oil? If your low it will tick.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
1.  Any ideas to cause on such a low kms engine?
2.Situation/ Remedies?

Oil level is indeed full

My theory has to do with lack of oil pressure on cold starts. Like I said it take a solid 7 to 10 slow missispi to climb up and thats during average temperatures at minus 30 I once actually got the check gauge light it took so long.

Its still under warrenty though for maybe a couple of months...... 7 year power train up to 100k
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:35:06 PM by Jrama »

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
Run sum atf though it at your next oil change and see if the extra detergents can free it up.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Yeah thats what I'd try  in a normal situation with a higher mileage jeep. But given the fact that I shouldn't even have this problem at such low kms , I'm going to bring it to the dealer and see what happens. Somethings wrong here, as its gotten noticably worse over the past 2 months I have no reason to suspect the underlying problem isn't just going to cause more damage.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
ive seen a couple cam shafts with buggered lobes. it could be a collapsed lifter, which would make sense that it does it all the time, hot or cold. see what your dealership says about it, go from there. let us know the results.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
Try running a non-synthetic oil.  Your oil pressure at the lifters could be too low due to running a thinner oil.  Now that your engine has some wear the thinner oil pours out the side of your bearings, that's why it takes so long for the pressure to build up.  A non-synthetic oil will give more oil pressure to the lifters.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline LOOKOUT

• Winch Wench
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
Run sum atf though it at your next oil change and see if the extra detergents can free it up.

When you say run some atf how much are you thinking.Not to hijack this for me but i have a 5.7 triton ford with a bad tick and wanted to do the atf trick but dont quit know the senario .Is it drain oil fill with % ltrs of atf run engine drain atf then put in new filtre and engine oil.Or do i just put a ltr of atf and run around with that in the oil for a bit.
Thanks in advance!!!

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
add 1 litre of atf to oil...run for 15 mins..(dont drive it) then drain oil...change to fresh oil and filter...the extra detergents in atf shgould help to clean,and hopefully free gummed up lifters.
not recommended to drive around with atf in the crankcase!

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
Edit: Your video sounds exactly like the issue I had with my Jeep about 10k kms ago.

Check your cam position sensor with a stethoscope (or screwdriver...or just put your hand on it)...some of the 2005's / 2006's had known bad oil pump drive gears, but other TJs have had the issue as well, my 2003 included.  Lots of good info on this issue online, just gotta search around:

2003 Jeep Engine Tick Post #12

Write up of how I fixed my issue:

2003 Jeep Engine Tick Post #21

Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Edit: Not sure if I mentioned this in my other posts (as it ended up being 6 months later), but I got an error code saying the cam position sensor was out.  So I had to take the Jeep in to Chrysler and get them to properly adjust the cam position sensor.  They quoted me $80 or so over the phone, turns out the quote wasn't correct, as they had some issue and the mechanic just fixed it instead of calling me.  When I called back she told me it would be $160.  We "settled" on $90.  Not impressed but much better than paying the $160.  On the bright side, it's fixed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:00:32 PM by BlackAura »
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
mine makes the same sound .. i just figured it was the 4.0l 

but ya please let us know what the dealership finds
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

When you say run some atf how much are you thinking.Not to hijack this for me but i have a 5.7 triton ford with a bad tick and wanted to do the atf trick but dont quit know the senario .Is it drain oil fill with % ltrs of atf run engine drain atf then put in new filtre and engine oil.Or do i just put a ltr of atf and run around with that in the oil for a bit.
Thanks in advance!!!

On the ford triton motors, a "tick" is most commonly the camshaft phasers, or an exhaust leak. And if you do the flush, don't use a fram oil filter on a 5.4 Ford. They don't seem to have an anti drain back valve. Not good for it!
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
Dealership said their was nothing unusual enough about the tick to warrent any service. To me, espeacilly when driving the jeep all warmed up the tick is unacceptable. The tech had a quick listen under no load and stationary. Honestly it wasn't ticking all that bad when he had a listen. On the road undervarying conditions its more pronounced. I got the salesmen on the lot to start another TJ  of similiar kms which was quiet...much more quiet. My jeep does have an exhaust leak but its not related, as the tick began way after. Either way the tick has been getting worse and I got warrenty till 2012 so I have some time.

As of now I"m going to look into Black Auras suggestion and see if I can find something wrong...
Just to be sure the diagnosis is listening for the actual source of the tick?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:49:01 PM by Jrama »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
I have the same issue currently with my 02 Tj 4.0Lwith 120000km on it.  Spoke with Joe at Modern Motors and he said the same thing regarding a sticky lifter and to run some atf through it on my next oil change.  He also suggested changing the oil more frequently if the problem persists which will help flush any gunk out faster.

I'll let you know how the flush works as I'll be getting it down next week.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.