Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: So this is Calgary  (Read 6507 times)

Rubi Tuesday (Karen)

So this is Calgary
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:43:42 AM »
Hi everyone, I've just joined your fourm.  Now why would someone from Toronto join a forum in Calgary you may ask?  No I'm not moving to your fair city - although I would love too!

My work will be bringing me there over the next 6-8 months.  Most of the time I will be flying, however there will be a couple of times I will be driving - by choice.  I've heard that the trails here are awesome so I've booked a few weeks holiday time to coincide with business - that way I can drive my truck and check it out.

So my question is does your group have organized runs in the area and if so when and where?  Level of difficulty? - remember I have to drive home and CAA won't cover me :D

Also when I come out with my truck I'll be bringing a friend - Kingston - my lab.  Does anyone know of a downtown hotel that will accept pets?  My clients are understanding but I don't think they will allow him in meetings - can't pass him off as a seeing eye dog - not that old yet.

I've never wheeled my truck in your area but the pictures I've seen look phenominal so I can't wait to check it out.

If there is anyone here that can give me some information I would really appreciate it.  

Don't want to "crash" any runs.  I'm pretty self sufficient and don't need any babysitting, hell if you get stuck I can pull you out  :)

Many thanks and I hope to meet some of you in the coming months

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
So this is Calgary
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:05:54 AM »
Welcome to Calgary and the CJA site.  

We typically have 2 scheduled events/runs each month.  If your staying over a weekend and want to be a passenger in one of the runs, I'm sure we can find a seat for you until you can bring your truck down here.

Here's the schedule for 2006:  
Quote from: "TJ54"
Dec.26--   Monday  --    Boxing day run
Jan. 01--    Sunday  --    New years day hang-over run
Jan. 21 --   Saturday--    Cheese slider run
Feb. 12 -- Sunday --   Hot Chocolate run
Mar. 18 -- Saturday  --  St. paddy's day run
Apr. 01 -- Saturday --   April fools day run
Apr. 23  --Sunday  --    Chilli run
May.06  -- Saturday --   Presidents Assault on Fisher East
May 28 -- Sunday --     Trail etiquette and training run
June 18 -- Sunday --     Fathers Day Family fun Goofy Hat Run  (TJ54)
June 24 --  Saturday --    Ste. Jean Baptiste Day run
July 15 --    Saturday --   Show and Shine
July 22/23 Sat/sun --    Campout
August  -------------                   Apex dates TBA
Sept.2,3,4---------                Sept. long camping
Oct.7 --       Saturday --   Thanksgiving run
Oct. 29 --     Sunday --      Halloween run
Nov.11 --     Saturday  Rembrance day run
Nov.25or 26 -------           Last weekend at Maclean

Hope to see you on the trails soon,
-Joel
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
So this is Calgary
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:55 AM »
as for difficulty, it ranges from sleeper easy to "we should turn around" hard. So I am sure there is something out there that will meet your needs. Most runs specifiy a minimum equipment requirement. Front and rear tow hooks, tow strap (without hooks), 'comm' either CB or FRS, and a full sized spare.

Hope to see you on the trails.

Rubi Tuesday (Karen)

So this is Calgary
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
Thanks guys for the warm welcome!  What a list of runs my only problem now is trying to get to them all  - they all sound great.

I'll work out my schedule in the next few weeks.  I'd love to be a passenger too as I can't bring my truck everytime I come out there.

Blair asked me what kind of truck I have.   I don't want to sound like I'm showing off or anything but I have a fairly loaded truck.  It's an 04 Rubi, 5.5 Rock Krawler long arm, 35 12.50 Rock Krawler tires, full cage, regeared to 456, borlo header, KN Filter, throttle spacer, AEV rock rails, etc.  

I'm not into carnage - the most important thing for me is to try some of your trails, enjoy the scenery and meet some nice people.

Thanks again.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Nice jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:32:36 PM »
Sounds like a nice jeep. Looking forward to seeing it and meeting you.

Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
So this is Calgary
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:43:12 PM »
yeah.. it does sound like a nice jeep! How'd you like the borla headers? Did they fit alright? I've heard some plp had some bad fits with those a few years back. Did you notice any difference in performance? how was the difference in exaughst tone? I've been eyeing these for a while.

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
So this is Calgary
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »
Quote from: "Rubi Tuesday (Karen)"
Thanks guys for the warm welcome!  What a list of runs my only problem now is trying to get to them all  - they all sound great.

I'll work out my schedule in the next few weeks.  I'd love to be a passenger too as I can't bring my truck everytime I come out there.

Blair asked me what kind of truck I have.   I don't want to sound like I'm showing off or anything but I have a fairly loaded truck.  It's an 04 Rubi, 5.5 Rock Krawler long arm, 35 12.50 Rock Krawler tires, full cage, regeared to 456, borlo header, KN Filter, throttle spacer, AEV rock rails, etc.  

I'm not into carnage - the most important thing for me is to try some of your trails, enjoy the scenery and meet some nice people.

Thanks again.

WELCOME!!      HOW ABOUT SOME PICS???    

...of your jeep of course

Rubi Tuesday (Karen)

So this is Calgary
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »
don't have a lot of pics, keep forgetting the camera!  But there are a couple of my 03 jeep and some "poser" shots of the 04.

Thanks again, Karen

hope this works

http://community.webshots.com/user/rubituesdaykaren

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
So this is Calgary
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
yepper seems to work.  really like the paint on the 05.  the 03 i'd be scared to drive around hunting season.  both very nice.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Photos
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »
Great looking jeep! The paint job looks fantastic.

Let us know when you will be in town and we will get you out on a few runs.

Blair

Rubi Tuesday (Karen)

So this is Calgary
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:58:19 AM »
No paint!  It's actually a vinyl wrap that I designed - think of it as a huge decal wrapped around the vehicle.  It's the same vinyl that is used on airplanes, trucks, floors (advertising) etc.  

The jeep is black and the design's background is black so they "melt" together, it's hard to tell where the paint is.  I've covered the jeep with it accept for the grill, windshield frame and tailgate.  It's very hard to scratch thru to the paint, easy to remove, little maintenace, no damage to paint when removed and it lasts (supposedly) for five years.

Borlo header, no problems with the install (I didn't do it personally, I'm not mechanically inclined - yet).  I think it has improved the performance but it's hard to say.  My other jeep had very poor mileage about 200 km to a 60l tank, pushing similiar tires, heavier bumper, etc.  This one I changed a bit with the regearing, header, KN and throttle spacer.  I also downsized to a smaller bumper.  My mileage is better, I'm getting about 320 km to a tank now.  

Not great but then we didn't buy jeeps for fuel economy.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
So this is Calgary
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »
hope you have gas can holders, then you wont have to fill up through sask :P

back in like '86 or so i took a trip.  filled up here @ 34c a litre.  got to sask on a empty tank and was 54c a litre.  was a 100 litre tank.  after i got back i sold the car and bought a rabbit diesel, then I got 200km on $5 fuel and $3 oil.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
So this is Calgary
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »
Ruby Tuesday (Karen)

Posting from Red Neck Deer here (90 miles north of Calgary).  A co-worker of mine occasionally travels to Calgary for getaway weekends  shopping, etc.  She always takes her cat and she always stays at a magnificent Bed & Breakfast with in-suite Jacuzzi tub, large flat screen  and fireplace in her own room, magnificent food, etc.  It's near Mission close to everything and the folks have cats and dogs - and allow her cat in her suite.  In spite of the comforts, they're WAY LESS than equivalent hotels.  I've seen photos and it's the real deal.

I'll get the details and report back with name, address and contact info.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Rubi Tuesday (Karen)

So this is Calgary
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 10:47:18 AM »
that would be great, thank you.  Jacuzzi hmm, I'll have to fight Kingston to keep him out of that - he loves the water!

By the way you guys are teasing me about the gas cans aren't you?  I've never driven that far before.  Longest trip was about 5 hours.

There are gas stations in the prairies right?  sorry I don't want to sound too stupid but I have to ask.  

Thanks againl

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Fuel
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
If you are on Hyw #1 lots of stations but not to the density of southern Ontario. There are a few sections of northern Ontario that have longer distances between stations. You need to keep your fuel range in mind. Most longer stretches will be marked No fuel for ???KM.  I did run into fuel trouble one time late on a Sunday night in Sask. I should have filled up in the last big station but did not and all the small town stations were closed late at night. Keep in mind your range on a full tank. Stop often to fill up in the larger towns. I have driven most possible routes from Calgary to Toronto. The Canadian HWY #1 route is about 3500KM, three long days of driving in a TJ. I drove 940KM in my 2001 Sahara, with 31” tires, last Friday. I found it was a long day in a TJ. Not the most comfortable HWY vehicle.

Blair