Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bad News :( **PICTURES**  (Read 6625 times)

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
Bad News :( **PICTURES**
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Well, I hate to say it, but sadly I got in an accident earlier this week.
Everyone turned out fine which is very good news but I can't say the same thing for both vehicles involved.

I'm pretty sure my jeep will be a write-off. Both airbags went off and I couldn't get a good long look at the damage afterwards. From the quick check the Drivers front fender, grill, front bumper were damaged extensively. Front left tire went flat afterwards. I think the frame was bent, but I don't know for sure yet. Still have to go take a look.

I will post up pictures as soon as I can get them.

:'(

Here are some pictures of the TJ. The other vehicle caught me in the worst spot, between the tire and fender flare, a wide opening to the frame.

Only cosmetic damage was the front bumper, fender flare and grill. Everything else was fine. The frame was bent, airbags deployed, which really screwed me over.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:33:55 PM by 03Jeeper »

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
Re: Bad News :(
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  I'm glad everyone is okay, what type of crash are we talking here?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
The only thing I'm hearing is..... "Its time to build a buggy"

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  Glad everyone is okay. 
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
dumb question, but if/when you reck a rig I assume you get to take personal belongings out of it, but I also assume you don't get to strip it... where do they draw the line? ie, can you grab things like CBs/Antenna out of it or if you're quick could you grab bolt on sliders off it? :P
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
dumb question, but if/when you reck a rig I assume you get to take personal belongings out of it, but I also assume you don't get to strip it... where do they draw the line? ie, can you grab things like CBs/Antenna out of it or if you're quick could you grab bolt on sliders off it? :P

I'd like to know this too. I have several after market products I'd like to get back if the jeep is a write-off.  :-\

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Glad everyone is ok.

As for the extra stuff, this is whey it is important to advise your insurance company of `significant`modifications.  Your insurance otherwise is for the vehicle as was manufactured.  I have no idea if they will let you take the `stuff` off but if you haven`t advised them of aftermarket mods then you might not get full value (or as full as insurance gives) for your rig.
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
I am sure there is a line. I am not sure how it works in Canada.  I had a truck stolen once.  When it was recovered, I was allowed to remove anything non-factory.   Insurance told me that when it went to auction, if anything was noted as "irregular", I may be responsible for it.  Other than that they cut me a check for the full value, and another check for the 2 day old set of tires I just put on.

I did go pull my brake controller, bug shield, bed mat, hitch, etc..  What they dont want is you removing the seats, doors etc..

I do second letting your insurance know of any mods.  I keep my list accurate.
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
donno gents.

i tried to get my insurance company to acknowledge my list of mods and they told me to find a different insurance company......

best piece of advice;  get your rig appraised, then find an insurance company to insure it..................... you need that professional appraisal to get anything covered; please note, as i said above, a lot of companies will not recognize your mods;  because its not stock they will void coverage;they will only cover the 'stock' truck, and thats why you get ripped off for mods.  it sucks. but its either  a 'stock' rig, or no coverage................

in short; try and get coverage for mods;  best bet; get appraisal, then try.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
I had my insurace agent tell me the same thing. If its too modified then they don't want to insure. Basically anything over 2 sizes up in tire size they considered too modified. So an XJ thta originally had 225s on it would max out with a 30" tire.....

If I ever get in an accident I will have the vehicle towed back to MY house, not the impound where it goes by default. Assuming of course I'm in good enough shape to be barking out orders.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
the thing that scares me is theft..........  if your ZJ clay, or my YJ went 'missing'  you know it'd be stripped in a day...... then you get blue book value on a ZJ or YJ. whats that? 500$  ::)

i agree on towing it back before the adjusters can get at it.... strip it of what you can, then let them look.  never assume they'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
I've always wondered how my insurance company would feel about coil overs and hydro assist on my TJ.   Honestly I'm a bit afraid to ask as well.  I just hope that if I do get in an accident... I can have it towed back to my place to strip.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:51 AM »
Glad you're alright.

Dingman from my phone

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
the thing that scares me is theft..........  if your ZJ clay, or my YJ went 'missing'  you know it'd be stripped in a day...... then you get blue book value on a ZJ or YJ. whats that? 500$  ::)

i agree on towing it back before the adjusters can get at it.... strip it of what you can, then let them look.  never assume they'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

$500 for the YJ, $1500 for the ZJ. ;) You are right though but I don't see much that could be done about it. I have a good relationship with my insurance broker and they said they don't want to know what I've done to my Jeep. Also if it IS recovered intact the police will tow it staright to impound before calling you.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »
Well it looks like the Jeep will be write-off.

They told us the frame was bent in the crash, they also said the airbags alone would be $5000, around $10000 for the total cost. I find that really hard to believe...  :-\

He also gave me worse news, he said that the value of the vehicle, its year and such, I will only get around $5000. I looked on Auto Trader and the lowest 2003 TJ Sport I could find was $6,950 with 116,xxx kms. My TJ had about 86000. Is there any way I can fight that if the price is that low?

If in the end that's all they give me, would it be better to buy the salvage?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:45:32 PM by 03Jeeper »