Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: never build a ZJ......  (Read 49342 times)

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
Re: never build a ZJ......
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:55:33 PM »
hey man u still got your original arms? need a set for some measuring and such probally gonna be ordering the coils and building the rest like we where talkin on saturday.....

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
sorry bud, no stock stuff left!

So, I got the 231 swap done.  but i don't have any pics.  not that there is much to see.  but i talk about it ;) 

first thing, man its nice to be able to turn again.  and it feels a bunch more peppy. 
check out this link, this is what i followed for the most part http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transfer-case-swap-info-np249-np231-np242-685644/

Overall it went smooth.  first up was pulling the input from the old 249. the case came apart no problem.  then i pulled apart the 231.  same deal.  the shifter in this is a lot easier than the 242 to get out.  so i pulled the input from the 231 for the one out of the 249.  it dropped in no problem.  reinstalled the snap rings on the outside of the input and now time to put the cases back together.  note, i had a spare 249 kicking around that i pulled the input out of so i wouldn't have a jeep sitting without a transfer case in it.  not that it mattered; it went very smooth.

now for pulling the tcase it was straight forward;  pull the drive shafts and all sensors.  at this point i cracked  5 of the bolts on the tcase loose.  just so it would be easier.  there is one bolt thats a pain on the passenger side at the top.  to get to it, i dropped the tranny crossmember. it makes it easier.  with access to all bolts now, i unbolted the tcase and pulled it out of the tranny (hehe) note, there is a lot of fluid that will come out of the tranny so make sure you have extra on hand.   swapped the 'new' 231 in an bolted her up.
the only issue i've had thus far is the linkage;  the little lever on the 231 did not have the little rubber grommet, so i have to find one.  however, when i get my hands on one, then i can do the linkage.  there is enough play in the 249 linkage though that it should work out just fine once i get that lil' grommet.  i might crawl underneith and take a few pics later. 

overall i'm pretty happy with it.!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
I think I still have my stock arms and the Rubicon Express aftermarket ones.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
For those top t-case bolts I've found that after you break them loose a stubby wrench works well.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
thank god for makita cordless impacts and lots of extensions and swivels and if that fails me the stubby ratchets wrenchs are gold done one to many tcases slash transmission installs

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
I think I still have my stock arms and the Rubicon Express aftermarket ones.
might take u up on those some time soon looking for something width wise on brackets gonna be makin joints to bolt into most aftermarket arms.... so dont need the arms permanently its just i cant take mine out yet cause i am driving it now that the weather and the car arent to happy

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
For those top t-case bolts I've found that after you break them loose a stubby wrench works well.

thats precisely what i used for the top bolt. it was a pain!  i bought a ratcheting 9/16" wrench for the others. that made it go quick.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »
If you're in need of brackets and such I have a doner Z that could be stripped of such parts. It has the 249 brackets though.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
ugh.  had a big writeup done up then the computer died...... it must be a jeep computer........

so,  231s done up.

gutted 249 for the input

231 installed. no prob.  linkage was a bitch but with a new grommet, it was all good

just need to install the adjustable upper control arms which should be in tomorrow! and find a ujoint driveshaft and i'm golden!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
 update;

put in the adjustable uppers, rides much better now;  i think i need to do an alignment professionally though. 

also go the front driveshaft done up too.   its riding good.  overall i love the 231 tcase. its great.

hopefully soon i can get some 33s on it, and start on the rear 8.8 install :)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
hey i am new to the site, i am about to start my own zj build and i am wondering where did u got that 4 inch lift and what did u pay for it if u dont mind me asking??
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
www.claytonsoffroad.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
www.roughcountry.com
www.rubiconexpress.com

get used to these sites, and start pricing.  hopefully you have a big budget ;)

i went with a 4" xflex from rough country.  i've also added adjustable front uppers and a track bar up front.   overall price with shipping i'm around 1500$

just go long arm. :) 

i'll be runnin 33s on it at somepoint.  after i swap my rear D44a in (all you haters can be hatin' lol)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »

That cat actually looks kinda like you, Johnny.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
thanks for the heads up
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
so update. 
did some stuff.

finally did a CB. thanks to Toddoo (W SQuared) and Trev (immortal) for helpin wire it up, and drill a hole in my roof.

it works pretty good.  like the mount, pretty cool.