Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: full clutch replacement  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
full clutch replacement
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
Looks like I lost the spring in my clutch assembly on my to work in crossfield today.

1) if I drive it home to Calgary and back out tomorrow, to get it into a shop am I realistically going to make things more expensive to fix, or am I being paranoid.

2) Local shop out here quoted about $900 to replace clutch, bearings, spring ect. is this a good price? the convenience of being able to drop it off around the corner and to pick it up at the end of the day is nice as I won't have to miss any work.

03 jeep TJ 5spd 4.0, 150k's

Anything else I should know?
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
Re: full clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
I'd say that $900 is pretty expensive unless it's going to be some fancy new upgraded clutch and some other work involved! I'd check out a few more places in town before I'd pay that much, I wouldn't pay anymore than $600 and that includes the price of a LUK Performance Gold Clutch. $300+ for the clutch the rest for labour.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
Im my experience... these types of shops LOVE outsiders cause they think your screwed without them.... atleast ask for the reach around while hes at it.

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
Not to sound like a knob, but us mechanics are some of the lowest paid tradesmen. We have a huge investment in equipment and tools. My paycheque come from the customers who trust us and appreciate quality work and parts. How else could we afford our jeeps without making some profit.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
im a mechanic as well and yes were way under paid    thats why i do side work

if you supplied the clutch i would install it for 300 bucks
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »
I am no expert in the matter but a new clutch is roughly $300 so that leaves $600 for labour which at most shops these days will be less than 6 hours.  6 hours seems a little high but no unreasonable for a shop.

Just my thoughts
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
Shops usually mark up prices on parts about 15% so if they pay $300 for the clutch they will probably charge you $350 for it. Probably another $50 for shop supplies so that brings labour to $500. Still a bit on the pricy side.

Try calling Jay at Chanda for a price comparison.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
Or call my guy, Victor, at Rams Transmission 403 207 4243 his shop is beside Kingsway Auto parts on 17th ave s.e.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Dealers charge 12-1300 for a full clutch job.

Most small shops are in 7-900 range.

The only guys in the 600$ range are back yarders, and maybe a really hungry shop.

If you are getting a 600$ clutch from a shop, there's a chance you may be getting a 125$ chinese clutch kit and then they get the labor they want out the other end.

LUK is the most commonly used aftermarket clutch around here. It is affordable and reliable. A good comparision to the OEM without the 600$ dealer pricetag.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:06:18 AM »
In the end it was only $700.

The jeep feels completely different to drive now, have to get use to having clutch available as soon as you begin to let it out again.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
Not to sound like a knob, but us mechanics are some of the lowest paid tradesmen. We have a huge investment in equipment and tools. My paycheque come from the customers who trust us and appreciate quality work and parts. How else could we afford our jeeps without making some profit.

Don't most techs get paid peace work?  My buddy worked for gm back in onterrible and even though he was $10 les per hour then I was, he made considerably more money cause his 40 hr workweek would be 60-80 hours paid.

Not saying you guys shouldn't get paid more or anything, but dealership costs is why I do most of my own work on the heeps.
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
Dealer mechanics are about the only flat raters. Small shops are hourly, and often less then the dealer rates. Flat raters work their bag off for their hours.

The techs only earn around 30 something an hour out of a dealers 100-140 an hour charge. The rest is what keeps the lights on, doors open, all that other good stuff. Dealer shops have huge overhead compared to the small shops out there.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
Maybe its changed since I worked there but sears auto center and canadian tire both used to be flat rate.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
I worked at crappy tire years ago, when I was 17; back when it was hourly. A year later all the Crap Tire's went to flat rate. Unfortunately it didn't help the quality of work improve.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »
Dealers charge 12-1300 for a full clutch job.

Most small shops are in 7-900 range.

The only guys in the 600$ range are back yarders, and maybe a really hungry shop.

If you are getting a 600$ clutch from a shop, there's a chance you may be getting a 125$ chinese clutch kit and then they get the labor they want out the other end.

LUK is the most commonly used aftermarket clutch around here. It is affordable and reliable. A good comparision to the OEM without the 600$ dealer pricetag.
You just have to "know" people to get a better rate than the general public. Being a jeeper "knowing" the right people is imperative.